The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: the beauty of the brazilian rosewood

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

cuthbert
Posted 2011-05-20 3:17 PM (#352154)
Subject: OT: the beauty of the brazilian rosewood

I've seen that there are some threads about "different" guitars, so I'd like to share some pics of my first brazilian rosewood guitar, a BC Rich B-38 that arrived today.
Very few people know that B.C. Rich used to make acoustic guitars back in the 70s and early 80s, and most of them are stunning instruments because they were made with the best woods available: it happened that Mr. Rico Sr. used to build high end Flamenco and Classical guitars, when his son inherited the activity and started to build acoustics in the craze of the folk revival he could use the ebony mahogany and brazilian rosewood his father had stockpiled.

This particular guitar is a B-38, a rough equivalent of a Martin D-41, a very decorated instrument without being excessive:

[SIZE="1"]Uploaded with ImageShack.us [/SIZE]

But the back is the most interesting part of the guitar:

This instrument was built in 1974, it's far from being mint, there are some cracks (on the heel, the herringbone strip in the back...) but nothign serious, it has been badly treated and my guess is that it wasn't played for a while, I changed the strings, removed the dust and the other slugging into the woodbox and I'm playing it.

It scares me that it doesn't have a truss rod and it's a spanish heel, so resetting is impossible, this is also my first old (vintage?) guitar, so I'd like to have some advice, like humidifiers and stuff like that...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nikon4004
Posted 2011-05-20 7:21 PM (#352155 - in reply to #352154)
Subject: Re: OT: the beauty of the brazilian rosewood

That is some pretty wood......
Patch
Posted 2011-05-20 7:52 PM (#352156 - in reply to #352154)

Originally posted by nikon4004:
That is some pretty wood......
Can't argue with that. That looks like a nice find. Congrats!
stephent28
Posted 2011-05-20 9:11 PM (#352157 - in reply to #352154)

Stumpwood has some really cool patterns.
titti
Posted 2011-05-21 7:02 AM (#352158 - in reply to #352154)

is quite a sight, really beautiful
:cool:
ProfessorBB
Posted 2011-05-21 10:39 AM (#352159 - in reply to #352154)

Very pretty, indeed. I didn't know anything about Brazilian RW until the Tak EF75 models came out a few years ago. After a few of us picked up one, there were a few threads about this rare wood and many of us became a bit more educated. One of the things that I learned was that there can be a difference between the beauty of the grain and its resonance. The theory was that the wider the grain, the more beautiful the wood, but at the expense of resonance. Wide grain patterns more dramatically show off the natural swirls and grain patterns, particularly when a bit lighter stain is used. Yours is particularly stunning in this regard. On the other hand, Brazilian RW with a much tighter and possibly more dense grain pattern is not nearly as beautiful and dramatic, particularly when it has a dark stain that masks the grain variation, but it supposedly has better resonance. This may be akin to the theory that a tighter grain on a spruce top generally produces a more resonant top. Having only one Brazilian guitar, the EF75, I don't know if any of this is true, and if it is, I'm sure that I personally couldn't hear the difference. Nonetheless, I'd be willing to bet that the difference in resonance between tight vs. wide grains on a Brazilian bodied guitar is nowhere close to their difference in relative beauty. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but given the options, I would choose beauty over resonance, again because the compromise in resonance would likely be negligible to my ears, but the additional beauty of the wide grain pattern would be dramatic and very desirable. This one posted by Cuthbert is stunning, and the lighter colored stain really shows it off. Thanks for posting.
titti
Posted 2011-05-21 5:16 PM (#352160 - in reply to #352154)

Tanck you Professor good lesson
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)