The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Mahongany Round Back???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Jeff W.
Posted 2005-01-22 3:07 PM (#165770)
Subject: Mahongany Round Back???

About 4 years ago I was in the Philippines, where they are mad for Ovations. I couldn't help myself when I saw this Ovation copy...
...with a book matched, hand carved Mahogany back, Mother of Pearl Inlay and purfling. Real wood binding and 5 piece neck with the Ovation shaped Headstock.

It has a supershallow bowl. The workmanship is very good, and though shallow, it wieghs nearly nothing (the cost was about the same) and the sound is quite good...

If I haven't breeched the bounds of good sense you can take a peek at it at the site bleow if you like. (there is also an extreaneous pic of the 1537 twins stuck in)

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=jeffwhitehead&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-01-22 4:24 PM (#165771 - in reply to #165770)
Subject: Re: Mahongany Round Back???

nice...couple of months ago, discussion of a wood bowl made by one of the luthiers from the factory.

see Taylor's thinline - looks rounded to me...

stonebobbo
Posted 2005-01-22 4:49 PM (#165772 - in reply to #165770)

Both seem a lot like a Viper (EA68) to me. Check out the picture TRBOY posted on another thread where the bowl paint was removed from the mahogany back. A few months back, lady stonebobbo suggested I sent my EA68 back to the factory and have them refinish the back in natural. Maybe I should have listened to her...
TRboy
Posted 2005-01-22 11:42 PM (#165773 - in reply to #165770)

Hmmmmm....sounds like a pretty good idea Bob! I wonder how much they would charge to do a strip and refinish??

I took (borrowed :rolleyes: ) the Viper pic from the Billy Strange forum/website http://www.billystrangemusic.com where the guy who refinished the Viper claims it's the second one he's done that way! (If you'll go to Billy's webpage and click on "forums" then click on the "Al Hendrickson,Gibson,Martin,donuts & coffee" topic you'll find the original post w/pic) There's also a topic on Billy recollecting about Glen Campbell!! The guy's user name on the forum is "Jonmark" and I think he may be Billy's son??? I might email him and ask him how difficult it was to strip and what kind of finnished he used......

Also gotta get some pearloid tuner buttons for my Viper!!!! NICE!

Mike :cool: (read Billy's bio.....interesting!)
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-01-23 1:27 AM (#165774 - in reply to #165770)

Mike,

Thanks for the link. First time I've ever heard of Billy Strange, and he played guitars on or wrote the music to a bunch of songs I grew up with.

I put a set of ebony buttons on my Viper instead of the pearloids. I think they look a lot better with the ebony fretboard, black highlighting around the gold logo, and the black lines in the purfling. Just something different I guess.

I had my 1271 Viper (Mahogany body) refinished by the factory about a year ago. When I explained how the EA68 was crafted to lady sb, she offhandedly said that I ought to send it to Kim Keller and have him strip the black paint off and finish it like he did my 1271. Time to revisit the issue I think!
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-01-23 10:40 AM (#165775 - in reply to #165770)

I failed to mention that the guitar pictured is a straight Acoustic.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-01-23 10:42 AM (#165776 - in reply to #165770)

I failed to mention that the guitar pictured is a straight Acoustic.

But it would be fun to think about adding some electronics.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)