The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Korean made Celebrity Deluxe electronics dead

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

mo_loner
Posted 2013-01-10 6:58 AM (#464081)
Subject: Korean made Celebrity Deluxe electronics dead

Hi everyone! My lifelong dream guitar and my dear old friend has had her electronics die. I have a 1987 made Celebrity Deluxe CC257 with a basic, non-descript system (treble-bass-volume). One night a year or so back while getting ready to play at church it gave nothing out. Worked a few days before but that night, nothing. No prior indicators. Assumed dead battery and changed, (which is no easy feat being a shallow back) but to no avail. Was able to check continuity through battery carriage and it was fine but beyond that I have no idea. All wiring that is visible appears ok. Loved her sound plugged in and would like to get her singing again. I have no problem replacing her pre-amp but am not tackling it myself with it being a shallow back with leaf holes. Looking for any direction as to things I can check and/or competent places to send her for repair. Also advice on replacement pre-amp models that retro fit easy and sound as good or better than the original. Have included a shot of the pre-amp. Haven't found any information online as to it's model number. Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks everyone!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mo_loner
Posted 2013-01-10 7:06 AM (#464082 - in reply to #464081)
Subject: RE: Korean made Celebrity Deluxe electronics dead

Sorry, here's the picture of the pre-amp. lol Hopefully!
mo_loner
Posted 2013-01-10 7:12 AM (#464083 - in reply to #464081)
Subject: RE: Korean made Celebrity Deluxe electronics dead

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-01-10 9:20 AM (#464094 - in reply to #464081)
Subject: Re: Korean made Celebrity Deluxe electronics dead

Based on the abrupt nature of the fail, I would tend to lean toward the connection of the bridge pickup to the pre-amp as the issue. A lot of those older preamps the bridge line was actually just plugged into the pre-amp via a mini plug. Over time they either corrode, or just come unplugged with vibration. Electronics in general rarely go without warning. Oh sure it happens enough, but there are so many aspects to the preamp that it's likely to fail in tone, or volume, or get distorted sounding, or be intermittent, etc.. Of course, anything is possible, but I'd go a little further in and investigate the connection where the pickup plugs into the preamp. Hopefully others will have some knowledge on how to get the preamp out. My guess is simply... carefully
mo_loner
Posted 2013-01-10 10:46 PM (#464131 - in reply to #464081)

Thanks Mr Ovation! Will dig into her now. Was thinking along the lines of a broken connection somewhere myself. I am a DJ and soundman and agree about there being no prior indicators, so wasn't thinking circuitry either. Will see what, if anything, I can find. Wishing for a deep bowl with a sound hole right now though! lol Will keep you all posted.
mo_loner
Posted 2013-01-10 11:19 PM (#464133 - in reply to #464081)

OK. Checked and cleaned the mini-plug from the bridge pickup (which was still making a solid connection), cleaned battery cable connection, 1/4" plug socket, battery terminals and confirmed solid solder joints on bridge pickup and 1/4" wiring. Still nothing. Battery check light shows nothing and would appear there is no flow through the pre-amp. She may just be dead after all. Open to any other suggestions before I find a place to send her. Thanks for your help guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)