The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
When NOT to hit REPLY

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-02-07 11:53 PM (#116254 - in reply to #116229)
Subject: Re: When NOT to hit REPLY

Thanks gh1. I don't subscribe to that board, but read the rules from the link you provided. Our rules are similar in spirit, but I still think in the long run our approach of "be kind to each other" has served us well. Maybe it's the biker in me that just doesn't like "rules" laid out as such. It has only "failed" if you will, twice in over 5 years. Only two people have ever been formally "banned" from this site.

As others have eluded, I started this thread as a "nudge." There isn't really a problem yet. As we grow, I just want to ensure it stays this way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2007-02-08 12:28 AM (#116255 - in reply to #116229)

it's all the weird shit that makes it really interesting.
muzza
Posted 2007-02-08 5:21 AM (#116256 - in reply to #116229)

I don't understand what prompted this thread. I spend more time reading the off topic stuff here (and sometimes off colour) than I watch night time TV. I read this stuff every night. Have I missed something? (Head in the sand?)

There is no doubt that this is the best damn forum on the web. Some come close, but not in the same ball park. There is a mountain of information here, as well as a mountain of entertainment. Sure, I'm only a newbie, but the entertainment value is what keeps me here.

So, if someone wants to congratulate a member on a fantastic purchase, why not? (So what if I'm not gonna buy the same guitar or banjo off the same guy or even from the same state.) Then another member spots something humourous in the second post and highlights it for the others' delight. Which prompts an even funnier addition from Waskel, or Moody. Somewhere a Llama gets thrown into the conversation. (And after a year and a half, I still don't get the llama thing, and don't care. If I make it to a tour, maybe, MAYBE, Cliff or Witko will enlighten me.) Then out of the blue, someone attacks Woody for no apparent reason just before Jason steps in and tells us how to set up the new guitar propereerly.

Notice something though. 99% of the banter is in a spirit of companionship which is closer and more welcoming than many families.

Imagine if you walked into your local pub with your new Ovation bargain from eBay to show your mates, and nobody says anything about it. This forum is like a cyber local pub.

I think the off topic stuff gives us an insight into the character of other members. I may never get to the States and meet any of you, but I feel I know some of you folks better than I know the guys at work. And if I ever do get to meet any of you, we won't be starting from scratch. I'm sure Mark in Boise can't wait to meet MY wife.

I agree that we should be mindful of the WHOLE audience before posting, ie those of the 'gentle' gender and children.

Miles, maybe you should consider giving us back the ability to edit our posts without a time limit.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2007-02-08 7:43 AM (#116257 - in reply to #116229)

This forum is like a cyber local pub.
...I like that. That's what it feels like to me. One can be a "regular" or just pop-in for a taste and still be welcome. There are Lawyers, Doctors, Artists, Geeks, Layabouts, Vegetarians and some Musicians and we still get along... very cool.
Goober
Posted 2007-02-08 8:01 AM (#116258 - in reply to #116229)

Is Moody's Astroglide use sexual innuendo? :cool:
Omaha
Posted 2007-02-08 8:02 AM (#116259 - in reply to #116229)

I feel so excluded! How come I was never issued a llama? Talk about being on the outside looking in.
alpep
Posted 2007-02-08 8:34 AM (#116260 - in reply to #116229)

Originally posted by muzza:
I don't understand what prompted this thread. I spend more time reading the off topic stuff here (and sometimes off colour) than I watch night time TV. I read this stuff every night. Have I missed something? (Head in the sand?)

<<>>

There is no doubt that this is the best damn forum on the web. Some come close, but not in the same ball park. There is a mountain of information here, as well as a mountain of entertainment. Sure, I'm only a newbie, but the entertainment value is what keeps me here.

<<>>

So, if someone wants to congratulate a member on a fantastic purchase, why not? (So what if I'm not gonna buy the same guitar or banjo off the same guy or even from the same state.) Then another member spots something humourous in the second post and highlights it for the others' delight. Which prompts an even funnier addition from Waskel, or Moody. Somewhere a Llama gets thrown into the conversation. (And after a year and a half, I still don't get the llama thing, and don't care. If I make it to a tour, maybe, MAYBE, Cliff or Witko will enlighten me.) Then out of the blue, someone attacks Woody for no apparent reason just before Jason steps in and tells us how to set up the new guitar propereerly.

<<>>

Notice something though. 99% of the banter is in a spirit of companionship which is closer and more welcoming than many families.

<<>>

Miles, maybe you should consider giving us back the ability to edit our posts without a time limit.
Unfortunately that will not happen. As we all grow we discover how the "system" can be abused. The message boards were abused by a member that would post false statements and leave them up for a short amount of time and then delete them. He would also delete threads that he started and blame it on Miles or myself. IF was only after I caught this individual in the act a few times that we decided to fo with the limited edit time.

Contrary to popular belief, I have a family, a business, a home and many responsibilities. Although I enjoy and love this community, the less grief it causes Miles and myself the better. Much like when you were in school and the kid behind you threw a spit ball at the teacher and the whole class wsa punished for the act of one. This is the only way I can equate it. Fair no. necessary yes.

I hope you all understand that this is not a restriction of freedoms or anything but just an extention of asking people to be nice to one another. As we grow and expand there may be other instances that have to be addressed for now, we will keep it as simple as possible. Be kind to one another.
gh1
Posted 2007-02-08 8:39 AM (#116261 - in reply to #116229)

Originally posted by Goober:
Is Moody's Astroglide use sexual innuendo? :cool:
No. But you knowing about it is. :p

_____
gh1
Slipkid
Posted 2007-02-08 4:04 PM (#116262 - in reply to #116229)

I really like the pub analogy.
I think that a separate, off-topic section would greatly lessen what makes this board so special.
And like CWK2, I enjoy most of the “weird shit” that happens. IMHO, you won’t find a group of sharper minded, quick witted, compassionate and talented bunch of goof balls anywhere else on the web.

If I may paraphrase the Manifesto…. “When you read a post you are perceiving it sifted through your own voice, ideals, agendas and prejudices”. This effects how we respond. So…. Here we all are sitting around the OFC Clubhouse provided by Miles and Al. The flaw in the visual is that although we are all in the same “room”, we can’t see each other. We can’t get a sense of how our post is being received. We may make a post with one intention but we can’t read the body language of the room to sense how it came across.

This characteristic might allow one of us to babble on (like maybe me… right now) without being able to see that the rest of the room is looking at us like we’re off our rocker.
“Did I just send a sense of ill will across the room?? I don’t think so”. “Did I just send this thread way off topic??? Didn’t feel that way”.

So… Miles… rather than leaving it up to our isolated minds to wonder just what is off topic or wrong topic, maybe you can site a specific post or thread that illustrates your suggestion. For instance… in the last week I remember a thread that diverted to talk of the “Fishsticks” for about 5 posts before someone came in with a “back to topic” remark. The Fishstick talk was deep into the thread and is certainly part of OFC lore, but I wonder if this is the type of diversion you are talking about.

I really like how Dave put it…..
QUOTE….
We're entering our 5th year. People come and people go. A lot of the first active wave of participants don't hang around much anymore. I know a few of them who read but don't take the time to post anymore. That's cool. New folks come and seem to have all the energy and take off like rockets. That's cool too. Seems to me that it runs in about 12 month cycles. In a year a whole new crop of bees will be swarming the hive. Old farts like me and my schitzoprenic half-lover Standingovation with some 6500 posts are feeling flat worn-out. Anything of value that I(we)'ve got to contribute has already been delivered. So we hang around, pick on the underclassmen, chime in with a little factoid here and there and basically fill our days with lots of off-topic banter. Having once been a very active poster, to not post now would be a show of disinterest. So that's why I (and maybe other old farts kicking around the 5k club) don't seem so focused anymore. It's just natural.

**** 30 minutes later****
I’ve been trying to figure how to wrap this up with the hope that we don’t become a board of gun-shy over-thinkers. (HA!!! Listen to me!! I’m the poster-boy for over-thinkers!!!)

My two conclusions are:
1) If you are wondering if a post is mean spirited, to off-color, or ill timed for that particular thread, picture yourself in that clubhouse meeting room with real biologically active humans. Is this something you would want to address to the whole gang? Then post away. If you see yourself leaning over to mention it to the two guys next to you, sent an e-mail.
2) I’m going to take my own advise and stop over-thinking this subject. It’s been an interesting written and mental exercise but from now on I’ll let my gut instincts take first priority. Hopefully this will allow more room in my brain for guitar chords and song lyrics. If I ever write a post this long again it will be about how much I love my Ovations or how much fun I had at the tour.

And the beat goes on....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-02-08 4:14 PM (#116263 - in reply to #116229)

I'm not certain but I think I was insulted a few times in this thread. Makes me feel at home.....
cliff
Posted 2007-02-08 4:29 PM (#116264 - in reply to #116229)

Can you repeat that part in the middle?? . .
Waskel
Posted 2007-02-08 4:49 PM (#116265 - in reply to #116229)

Moody, I'll send you a private email to tell you what a butthead you've been, so we don't take this thread off track by discussing your personal habits and how disgusting Cliff can be when he's telling lies about Temp's accent and Witko's deviancy. Ok? We'll just keep it between ourselves, personal like.
brainslag
Posted 2007-02-08 5:04 PM (#116266 - in reply to #116229)

I take offense to that remark. Meet me in the back alley so I can go all 'drunken pub' on your @$$!
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-08 5:06 PM (#116267 - in reply to #116229)

The "clubhouse" thing freaks me out a little. I'm getting bad visions of Brad dressed up as Chucky, or Cliff dressed as a Mouskateer. For me, the off topic, off color, offensive posts are by far the most interesting. By comparison guitar talk is boring. Actually we should have an whole thread permanently devoted to previosuly banned members. That would be some good entertainment.

Dave
brainslag
Posted 2007-02-08 5:13 PM (#116268 - in reply to #116229)

Miles says only 2 members have been banned, so that off topic post would just go off THAT topic! ssshheeesh!!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-02-08 7:47 PM (#116269 - in reply to #116229)

Our inability to see each other isn't a bad thing. And with posts like that, Brad, you'll never catch back up to me on the post count.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2007-02-13 3:59 AM (#116270 - in reply to #116229)

What "ClubHouse" :confused: ....There`s no Coffee here.... :rolleyes:

Vic
willard
Posted 2007-02-13 6:11 AM (#116271 - in reply to #116229)

Is this where I insert comments about politics?
muzza
Posted 2007-02-13 7:40 AM (#116272 - in reply to #116229)

Originally posted by Enfant Terrible aka V-Elite:
What "ClubHouse" :confused: ....There`s no Coffee here.... :rolleyes:

Vic
I said "PUB", and there's plenty of beer here. :D
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-02-13 9:20 AM (#116273 - in reply to #116229)

Originally posted by willard:
Is this where I insert comments about politics?
Either that, or some sexual innuendo!
Nasty remarks about Bush are always/usually welcome.
cliff
Posted 2007-02-13 9:26 AM (#116274 - in reply to #116229)

Hemlocks can't be trusted, and Yews are just stupid . . .
MWoody
Posted 2007-02-13 10:30 AM (#116275 - in reply to #116229)

"Do be a Do-Bee,
don't be a Don't-Bee!"

Miss Jean, Romper Room circa 1964, WBZN
cliff
Posted 2007-02-13 10:47 AM (#116276 - in reply to #116229)

Miss Nancy said it first . . .

(. . . and (despite the picture), . . . she was "hot")
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-13 11:42 AM (#116277 - in reply to #116229)

Yes Cliff, Miss Nancy was the original. But as you surely know, Romper Room was one of the first television shows to "franchise", and soon almost every major city (which in those days consisted of NY, LA, Chicago, Miami, Wash DC) broadcast their own "Romper Room" shows. I think Miss Jane was on the Chicago show. Miss Sally was the Phoenix Romper Bim, and she got in hot water in the mid 60's because when she was linked to protests over abortion rights.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-02-13 11:48 AM (#116278 - in reply to #116229)

Cliffie had a kiddie woodie for Miss Nancy.......
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)