The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Removing and Adding Shims

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stellarjim
Posted 2005-09-03 1:56 PM (#138491)
Subject: Removing and Adding Shims

Do you have to completely remove the strings to add or remove a shim?

From what I'm envisioning, looks like at the least, I'd have to unwind the strings from the tuning machines. Hopefully, I can still use the same strings.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-09-03 2:40 PM (#138492 - in reply to #138491)
Subject: Re: Removing and Adding Shims

It takes a little more effort that way.. I removed the shims on my Balladeer without restringing..

mine is acoustic w/transducer inside(aftermarket) don't know if you could do it with a PP or not.

throw a capo on, loosen em up and remove the saddle with some forceps. edge out one or two shims, reinstall saddle and retune.

but if you have spare or new strings around is much easier to just remove and replace.

Plus gives you a chance to give everything a good cleaning, polishing and inspection.

God Bless,

Glenn
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-09-03 4:55 PM (#138493 - in reply to #138491)

Sounds like Glenn is able to, I haven't been. I always just bite the bullet and remove the strings. After I've wound the strings around the tuner posts and clipped them to length, it just seems like more trouble than it's worth to try to reuse them(assuming they're not old to start with).

Roger
xnoel
Posted 2005-09-03 5:59 PM (#138494 - in reply to #138491)

Like Glenn, if I am not going to change strings I put a capo on at the second fret and unwind the strings, gently pulling them under the capo. This is not something you will be doing on a regular basis so it should not do any damage, put the capo on top of a fret.

Do not unwind the strings until they come off the string post. You should be able to get enough slack and still leave them around the post. Of course if you have minimal winds around the post this won't work and you might as well change strings. Personally, I like a lot of winds around the posts.

You should be able to lift the end of the saddle assemble up enough at the E B string end to take our or put in the desired shims.

Be very careful of the bass end of the saddle assembly as the transducer wire is attached at that end and goes through a hole in the bridge and guitar top.

I strongly urge you to check out the component views in your owners manual. I tried to go to the owners manual section on Ovations website, but evidently they have not completed that part of the new site.

This reason I prefer this method is if you are not satisfied with your first adjustment, (usually I am not)then you have not messed up a set of strings.

I have done this on a 1617 Legend, CV68 viper, 1778T and if my memory is correct, my 1613 classical.
stellarjim
Posted 2005-09-03 8:41 PM (#138495 - in reply to #138491)

Thanks guys. Very helpfule
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)