The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Are RIAA and ASCAP out of control?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

John B
Posted 2007-10-23 9:07 AM (#77477 - in reply to #77452)
Subject: Re: Are RIAA and ASCAP out of control?

I understand that writers should be paid for their work, but I think there is a big difference between illegal downloading of music and a musician playing music in a pub to an audience of 20 or 30 people. I would think that it would cost them more to hire people to go out and investigate these small places than the licenses would be worth. Not to mention the fact that exposing songs to people is a form of promotion. I've had many occasions where people would come up and ask me the name of a song and the name of the artist. I'm not saying that I've ever sold any CD's, but you never know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2007-10-23 9:12 AM (#77478 - in reply to #77452)

Interesting point, John . . .

After they've bought the CD, do they come back the following month and ream you out for butchering the song?? . . .

:D
cliff
Posted 2007-10-23 9:43 AM (#77479 - in reply to #77452)

Mind you, . . . I'M speaking from "experience" . . . ;)
John B
Posted 2007-10-23 10:02 AM (#77480 - in reply to #77452)

Originally posted by cliff:
Interesting point, John . . .

After they've bought the CD, do they come back the following month and ream you out for butchering the song?? . . .

:D
Surprisingly, it hasn't happened yet.
xnoel
Posted 2007-10-23 10:09 AM (#77481 - in reply to #77452)

I am all for the creators of music, books, etc getting paid for their work. I also am for those same folks under contract to various portions of the music industry getting their due from the industry. Too many horror stories, at least in the past, about singers, writers, getting screwed out of their due rewards.

What about the OFC jams at the tour? Tim Chapman rightly reminds us to go to the nursing homes, will that come to an end? A few friends getting together and a few non players listening? A bunch of kids at summer camp puting on a skit?

If this is carried out too far it will eventially hurt the music industry and discourage new talent that needs a place to grow and develop.

One good thing, it might be the death knell of karaoke!!!
cliff
Posted 2007-10-23 10:23 AM (#77482 - in reply to #77452)

On the new David Gilmour DVD, there's a scene where the whole crew is celebrating a bandmembers's birthday in a restaurant.

The scene starts off with everyone singing, but the audio is dead silent. The following caption pops up:

". . Due to Copyright Infringement Laws, please sing your Birthday Wishes to "________" Here . ."

The audio comes back just on the last note.

It was quite funny.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-10-23 11:39 AM (#77483 - in reply to #77452)

Didn't Google recently buy YouTube for something like a ba-ga-zillion dollars???
Now that there is big money being thrown around they are looking to squeeze Google for a check.

Heck... Google can probably afford it. Let them carve out a half percent of their sales, become "legal", then reap the benifits of increased traffic.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-10-24 7:24 AM (#77484 - in reply to #77452)

Originally posted by xnoel:

What about the OFC jams at the tour? Tim Chapman rightly reminds us to go to the nursing homes, will that come to an end?
This is almost hysteria. Legitimate venues, such as hotels or the ski-lodge should already have licences, so where's the problem? Whether they would be bothered about occasional not-for-profit performances in private non-commercial property is another matter, but they'd need to be aware of it first. Either way I'd suspect not.
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-10-24 10:34 PM (#77485 - in reply to #77452)

As i have posted before i`ve been on the loosing end of this . I lost about two years of air play royalties that cannot be collected due to a mistake by the label. Sales royalties are easer to recoup.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2007-10-25 8:12 AM (#77486 - in reply to #77452)

Tim Chapman rightly reminds us to go to the nursing homes, will that come to an end?
Whenever we play at the Rest Homes, we are representing our Church as the "Elder Care Music Ministry" and as such, we are covered by the Church's license. That license covers performances (by members or guests) in the Church proper as well as Church Sponsored performances elsewhere. If we were to branch out on our own, we should either 1) procure the license ourselves, 2) play only venues which have the license or 3) play only PD material.

Public Domain material seems also to be in a rather "grey" area, in that if you cover a PD "arrangement" that is in (for example) a Hal Leonard book, they may have the rights to that particular arrangement.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-10-25 12:32 PM (#77487 - in reply to #77452)

Fortunately, in the free world, no one is watching every single step you take.

No one (sane) is going after one-night coffee houses and free performances in old folks homes.

But when someone is making a major part of their living off someone else's intellectual property, written or recorded, some day an artists right representative will come calling. Even then, it's just a chat about how things work. (even though we all know, things don't work perfectly.)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)