The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Custom Legend vs Legend LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Cdrew
Posted 2004-04-29 7:35 AM (#188930)
Subject: Custom Legend vs Legend LX

Greeting Everyone!

While shopping around and finding information about Ovation Guitars, I stumbled upon the OFC. Great Site with wonderful advice and postings!!! What a great find for me with a wealth of information! . I am needing advice or recommedations from those better informed than me on the differences in sound and playablilty in the Custom Legend and the new Legend LX. I am in Germany and it is hard for me to find a music store that carries the Legend LX to play and hear/feel (or any LX model for that matter. ) I did get a chance to play the 30th Custom Legend yesterday and feel in love with both the sound and feel of it. I was able to compare it to the standard elite lx as well and found that there was no comparison. The 30th Custom Legend had more of an "ALIVE" reach out and grab you sound and feel. That was my opinion. Perhaps that was because I prefer the legends sound to the elites? I am new to the Ovation world and in the market for a nice sounding guitar. While looking for a " Taylor" ( sorry) I started trying out the Ovations and have now changed my mind and will be buying an Ovation. Only thing is, I can't compare the sound of the Custom to the new Lx to finalize my decision. Can anyone tell me what if any are the differences in these two guitars. Thanks !! Cdrew
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-04-29 7:40 AM (#188931 - in reply to #188930)
Subject: Re: Custom Legend vs Legend LX

The LX is like sky
and
the k bar guitar is like earth.

Sorry it is near impossible to put sound into words IMHO.
Cdrew
Posted 2004-04-29 8:46 AM (#188932 - in reply to #188930)

OK. pictural hearing will definately work in the absence of actual sound. ...

When you say sky vs earth.. do you mean brighter vs more of a growl or a deeper sound? OR is it the LX is so hot it is way "ABOVE" the K bar type?
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-29 9:21 AM (#188933 - in reply to #188930)

Beware of parables from highly populous East Coast arenas - they are usually used for making traffic move.

In the last 6 months I have been checking out the USA O's and trying to draw my own conclusions. Keep in mind - Each instrument model is purposefully different and there is variance within models.

Guitars I have found that feel and project similar (or are at least as interesting as) to my Elite LX:
1996 Collector, deep bodied Elite
Elite T, mucho resonance and timbre
2003 Collector, has inlaid one piece epaulet as well.
Any Adamas - six or twelve.

As for the difference between the Standard/Special Elite LX's consider investing in the upgrade of finishes and trim. All new cars are fun to wash at first but on the 50th waxing the one with LX package is a little more motivating.

Probably no help. It's best to get your hands on them. Sometimes you might just have to commit and get one. They are all good!

LMAO - If you liked the 30th Anniversary model - get it! That's as good as they get is what I've heard.

Edit - I think I missed my post target - I'll be back after my coffee kicks in. One hole or many? Tough decision.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-04-29 9:33 AM (#188934 - in reply to #188930)

Just a dissenting opinion. I've played several 30th
CL's and they don't do it for me. I've never played one that I would spend money on.

If you don't have to have a new guitar, I'd watch ebay for a 1537 Elite. They been going for about $500 lately and are incredibly undervalued. IMHO, they are better values than all the collector editions (most of which are based on this guitar), and for the money are just great instruments. AAA select spruce tops, walnut fingerboard, wood body binding, stereo preamp, Kbar, etc.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-04-29 10:01 AM (#188935 - in reply to #188930)

Of all the guitars mentioned in this thread, you will not be disappointed with any of them. CL30, LX Legends, 1537's and Taylor. Nobody can tell you which you will like better. And everyone has their own preferences which are based on god knows what (personally none of the guitars mentioned would be my 1st choice, but that's just me). I have played the CL30 and LX Legend side by side and I like the feel of the CL30 better. It just seems more natural in my hands, maybe because I like the older Ovations. But the sound of the LX Legend was really nice. Depending on what kind of music you play and your technique, equal or slightly better than the CL30, in my opinion. But the CL30 is a far better looking guitar than the LX and to me looks are important also. I've never played the 1537, but everyone raves about them and they are a steal for the price, but you have like the multihole look. I don't know which Taylor you played, but I've played some very nice ones and you certainly can't fo wrong with a Taylor. Now here's the curve ball - WHAT would I buy if it were me ??? Martin CEO-5. Sorry to totally confuse you. Dave
Woz
Posted 2004-04-29 10:29 AM (#188936 - in reply to #188930)

Jump on the CL 30th... You like the feel. The sound. It does have the looks! Only "300" made.
The guitar you played has the feel.

Pull the trigger.

I (IMHO) don't believe we have an LX yet that will beat the CL 30. You are paying $700.00 more for the 30th... So it isn't an equal comparison.

Now my curve ball. What about an Adamas?

For what you are "investing" you might find a very nice "tectured top" Adamas that will...
Make you smile.
Woz.
Check Al's place
Cdrew
Posted 2004-04-29 10:53 AM (#188937 - in reply to #188930)

Lots of helpful advice... giving me lots to consider. Thanks! When I started out on this venture I was looking at getting a K14 or K22 Talyor. I loved the unique and beautiful smooth sound. But the price was more than I wanted to pay right now especially for a sound/style ( KOA) that would be limited. So my options were wide open in the Ovation market. I narrowed my choices down to the Elite Lx or the Legend Lx. That was until I played the CL 30th yesterday and loved the sound. I play mostly rock - blues type music ( Evanescence, Godsmack, Etheridge, SRV, Hendrix, ) but equally like to fingerpick and play classics ( Neil Young, Eagles, etc.)Anyway, I prefer richer, full bodied, resonating sounds in leu of the predominately brighter characteristics. I think that is why I liked the CL 30th so much. The lows just reached out and grabed me... it resonated right through my veins and I just wanted to keep playing. The Highs complimented the lows perfectly. They did not overpower and dominate the lows, but sang sweet... not brassy. If the Lengend Lx can do this too, then I can do without the looks and save the $700.00 for a future investment. But, I am not against spending it for a good quality / sounding guitar. I have been saving for this purchase for awhile now and am ready to make the plunge. The only thing holding me back are these "decisions decisions decisions" without the assests to try what I think I might like. Now for the Adamas...? I would not know where to begin in considering. I have not really listened to one before ( and known it anyway.) There were NO Adamas guitars in the music store when I went yesterday. I have only read about them. Are they much better than Ovations regular USA lineup?
Paul V
Posted 2004-04-29 11:45 AM (#188938 - in reply to #188930)

Welcome to the OFC.

I’m going to agree with my friends here and say (as is said throughout the OFC site, that your choice is going depend on your personal preference in sound. What I can contribute is this; my preference would be toward a Legend, not (sorry guys) the Adamas.

I’m in the market for one of the “new” LX series. I’ve played the Elite LX and recently I played my first Adamas (Millennium). My feeling has been that the Adamas and the Elite had a (slightly) muted sound. If you did not like the Elite LX, you probably will not like the Adamas. My 1974 deep bowl steel string acoustic Balladeer has a much better sound (IMHO). If I were you, I’d check with the local guitar stores to see if anyone will be getting a Legend LX, and play that, then make a decision.

Paul V.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-29 11:59 AM (#188939 - in reply to #188930)

Let me jump in on this. I played the Legend LX and the Custom Legends when we were at the Mother Ship. I must say that I liked the CL and the Al DiMeola far better than the Legend LX. That being said, I haven't liked any of the 30th Anniversary CLs that I've played.
cliff
Posted 2004-04-29 12:16 PM (#188940 - in reply to #188930)

A wise man once told me that it's all "ice cream". ;)
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-29 1:06 PM (#188941 - in reply to #188930)

Cliff,
There you go again! Now I'm HUNGRY!!! :D
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-29 1:09 PM (#188942 - in reply to #188930)

I have a model 1619 Custom Legend made in 1979. This is a wonderful guitar, with a nice V shaped neck and that classic Ovation deep bowl sound. I had a 30th Custom Legend for a few days, and I really did not like that guitar. I found the neck not nearly as comfortable to play as the older 1619 Custom Legend, and it was just didn't have that feel to me. Sounded great though, but I just didn't like playing it. I found the action kinda high for me, and the saddle was about as low as I could put it. I also have a natrual Legend LX. This is the guitar for me. It is light, it's loud, and the tone is beautiful. The Legend LX is such a players guitar. And most of all, it just sounds out of this world. I can't say enough good things about the Legend LX! :D
Woz
Posted 2004-04-29 1:47 PM (#188943 - in reply to #188930)

In a "taste" test I believe the Adamas "textured" top deep will deliver the smiles.

Feel is each guitar. Even within the same model, given 10 to choose... One will "feel" better.
Set up and strings alone will put one over the top.

Looks... Now, we are all not going to agree. Cliff, I like the "ice cream" comment.

I think you like the CL.30th... Get it.
Woz
Cdrew
Posted 2004-04-29 3:18 PM (#188944 - in reply to #188930)

Hizzoner mentioned the Al diMeola Sig Legend earlier. Any thoughts on this guitar vs the Legend Lx or the 30th CL? It is so "PRETTY!!!" Personally, I would prefer having a cutaway. As much as I did like the 30th CL it does not have a cutaway and would limit higher fret playing, no? And the black finish is nice too. Does anyone have one of these or played recently?
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-29 3:22 PM (#188945 - in reply to #188930)

Played one at The Factory Tour. The Same One Craig Played. It Sounded Great. I believe it's Has a Deep Bowl so the sound is incredible. Reda more details at Ovationguitars.com
It'll talk aboutthe different features that guitar has that others Don't.
It's a Beautiful Instrument!
Beal
Posted 2004-04-29 4:18 PM (#188946 - in reply to #188930)

As Cliff has elewded to, it's all ice cream. What flavor do you want today?
cliff
Posted 2004-04-29 4:30 PM (#188947 - in reply to #188930)

Well, . . . I didn't think I was "lewd" . . . . but okay . . . . .

It won't be the first time I was accused of such . . . nor the last ;)
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-29 4:30 PM (#188948 - in reply to #188930)

The Al DiMeola is SAWEET! It has a deep bowl, like me, but sits fine in my lap. It had a very full sound. The AD II's have the new preamp. That's my flavor for the day. Now, when I turn the Big 5-0 next year, will my wife get me the Al DiMeola or a Custom Legend? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . :eek:

cdrew: aLeX has a Collectors 2001, which has an excellent neck and sound.
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-04-29 6:49 PM (#188949 - in reply to #188930)

Cdrew, if you fell in love perhaps there is no reason to compare (especially if you can't find one for the comparison). The variations of tastes, even among Ovations fans, run across a wide landscape. If the 30th cl does it for you, and you have one before you that you love... go for it! The factor I'm not hearing anyone talk about is cost. You said the 6778 elite standard lx didn't compare.... the 30th cl is almost $1000 more! In fact, the cl is more than double the cost! If you want to compare it to a legend lx 1777 or the elite lx 1778, then the 30th anniversary is 700-800 more than that! If money is a big factor, then I'd wait to try out the lx.
Money was a factor for me recently. I was close to buying an Adamas CVT just as the Lx series was coming out. I ordered an elite lx 1778 with the idea that if I didn't like it I would be out only a small amount to ship it back. I might suggest you try out the elite lx I purchased. Well, the Cvt is slightly better sounding in my opinion, but not $500-600 better for me! If money were no factor, the Adamas would have been purchased. The elite is so good that I don't feel I settled for something less, and I'm very happy with the purchase. To make it more complicated, take Woz' advice and check out the Adamas, also! It's a little less than the 30th cl. So many good choices, so little time, so little cash!!!
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-29 8:59 PM (#188950 - in reply to #188930)

I have to agree with Paul. I owned a Custom Legend since 1982, and recently bought an LX Legend. The LX is truly the way to go. You'll love it for it's big acoustic sound, play ability and it's lighter feel.
Tommy
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-29 10:50 PM (#188951 - in reply to #188930)

Tommy, that is the one thing I have been trying to get across about the Legend LX. The feel of this guitar when you are playing it is just perfect. It is so light, and you can feel the guitar vibrate as you play. It just feels right.
Bailey
Posted 2004-04-30 1:40 AM (#188952 - in reply to #188930)

Cdrew

Good to hear from Europe. You have sparked some very interesting discussions and I hate to get off subject, but I have to ask. Are you German, your English is better than most of ours?

Bailey
Cdrew
Posted 2004-04-30 2:03 AM (#188953 - in reply to #188930)

Hi Everyone.. early morning here in the European side of the world and it is great to wake up to read all the new post on this topic. I feel so enlightend. I drempt I was in a baskin and robins Ice Cream Parlor trying to decide what "flavor" I wanted... It all just looked so "tasty!!!" When I woke up, same feeling only with Ovation Guitars!! What do I want? Well, thanks to all of you I think I have narrowed down my options to two. ( I am still at two? and no decision? ) I think I am going to forgo the 30th CL because it does not have the cutaway and this is important to me. It looks great and sounded great to me when I played it... but the lack of a cutaway I might miss after I got over the newness of it all. So, now I am lingering between the Al diMeola model, because it does have a cutaway, and the Legend Lx. Legend Lx Fan you ought to represent Ovation and sell these !! Your input keeps pulling at my decision meter to go with the Lx. I really wish I could play one... but I don't see that happening here. I talked to a rep at the music store, and they are not looking to getting them in for about 3-4 months from now. Well, I think I will have to just take a guess on my flavor of LX or Al diMeaola and just take a plunge before I wait that long. Is one version louder or richer than the other? Does the deep bowl get fatiguing to play after awhile, or is it difficult to hold standing or sitting? As much as I really like the looks of the Al di Meola and "think" it might sound similar or better to the 30th CL I played, I also feel kind of funny about having "Al's" name on it... I mean I will be playing my new Ovation publicly from time to time... and don't want to project an " artist envey" image or anything. Any thoughts on this? I have never owned a Sig model guitar before. But to get the look sound and feel I am after....??? "vanilla", "chocholate," " strawberry..."..........
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-04-30 1:40 PM (#188954 - in reply to #188930)

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the 1769/1779 Custom Legend models. You should be able to find one that is either new or in near new condition. They have the abalone trim, cutaway & modern electronics with an on-board tuner. A 1779 price-wise is on par with the Legend LX, and way less than the 30th CL. Also not only won't you have Al D's name on the guitar, you get a coice of colors other than black. Since it's going to be a few months before you can get your hands on an LX, I suggest that you look for a 1769 or 1779 in the meantime. That way you can compare the two, take the price factor out of the mix, and decide for yourself whether a CL with all the all the features you want or the new LX is the guitar for you. Remember, you will live with your decision for a long time, so take your time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)