The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String Quality

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tommy M.
Posted 2005-08-08 9:03 PM (#141131)
Subject: String Quality

I'm particular about strings and I'm partial to Eliexrs, and some non-coated bronze strings. I tried the Alchemy Gold Bronze, coated. Although they profess a bright coat, for tone, I found them as tight as cables. These are the custom lights. There is almost no play or give on the tension. This makes for more difficult playing. What are the best strings that: sound good, last long and have some flexibility when playing, and I don't mean just a lighter gauge.
Tommy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-08 10:10 PM (#141132 - in reply to #141131)
Subject: Re: String Quality

Tommy, if you like Elixirs, you should like D'Addarios.....Gore buys the basic strings from D'Addario and applies the coating to the wound strings. Check the string thicknesses of both brands, they are the same.

Roger
Jeff
Posted 2005-08-09 12:10 AM (#141133 - in reply to #141131)

Tommy,

I'm a big fan of D'Addario EJ16's. I usually keep 'em on all my steel string Ovations because they sound great and last a long time. I've been known to squeeze as much as three or four months of use out of a set before I start to notice any significant loss in tone.

As for coated strings, I don't have a whole lot of experience with them, although I have a set of D'Add EXP's on my Elite right now and frankly, I'm not all that sold on them.

They may last a long time but, to me, they sound dead. And they sounded that way pretty much right out of the package. Also, like you were saying about the Alchemy Gold Bronze strings, I find the EXPs to feel rather stiff and not as easy to play as the 16's (eventhough they're supposedly the same guage). I also like Martin SP phosphor bronze strings. I have a set on one of my Martins right now that I put on back in May, and they're only now starting to suffer from a slight loss in tone.

Of course, you have to factor in each person's individual body chemestry as well. I'll admit, as I've gotten older my hands don't sweat like they used to. In fact, they hardly sweat at all anymore. So obviously someone who's hands have a tendency to sweat more probably wouldn't have the same results I've had in regards to string life longevity. But still, I'd recomend you give the D'Add EJ16s a try and see how you like 'em.

Jeff
Tommy M.
Posted 2005-08-09 9:20 AM (#141134 - in reply to #141131)

Thanks Jeff, I'll definetly check out the D'Add a try. The stiffness of strings, even though, they're the same gauge, is the X factor, for string quality.
Tommy
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-09 9:45 AM (#141135 - in reply to #141131)

Best kind of strings? IMHO, the ones that are changed often.
Every six weeks or so for me.
I could pay a lot more for strings that might last 3 or 4 months. But I'd rather just change less expensive strings than try to squeeze life out of high dollar sets.
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-09 9:57 AM (#141136 - in reply to #141131)

I've found the both the D'Adds and the Adamas 1818's to be great strings at a good price.
Jeff
Posted 2005-08-09 12:02 PM (#141137 - in reply to #141131)

I think someone said on here a while back that D'Addario and Adamas strings were, in fact, one and the same string. That is, the strings are made in the same factory and then purchased wholesale and marketed by the two different brands. I'd forgotten that when I initially posted in this thread (it was late). I've used Adamas strings in the past and have gotten pretty much the same results as with the D'Adds.

Jeff
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-09 1:37 PM (#141138 - in reply to #141131)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
Best kind of strings? IMHO, the ones that are changed often.
Every six weeks or so for me.
I could pay a lot more for strings that might last 3 or 4 months. But I'd rather just change less expensive strings than try to squeeze life out of high dollar sets.
Me too. I tried some of the coated strings and they are OK, but I had some breakage issues with them. I play hard at times and I think it is best to use non coated strings and change them more often because strings don't hold up to my strumming anyway for more than 4-6 weeks anyways. I am a Worship leader and I hate it when I break a string during worship, so I change them often. About every 4-5 weeks is my max I will go without changing.

Bill
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-09 1:41 PM (#141139 - in reply to #141131)

Originally posted by jeff:
I think someone said on here a while back that D'Addario and Adamas strings were, in fact, one and the same string. That is, the strings are made in the same factory and then purchased wholesale and marketed by the two different brands. I'd forgotten that when I initially posted in this thread (it was late). I've used Adamas strings in the past and have gotten pretty much the same results as with the D'Adds.

Jeff
Actually Daddario makes string for a lot of other manufaturers. There are not many string companys that make their own strings. D'ad. makes them to their specs so there are differances between brands, but most made by just a few. Just like car tires. there are only 4 manufaturers of tires in this country, But they make all kinds for others.

Bill
Markthemagic
Posted 2005-08-10 9:53 AM (#141140 - in reply to #141131)

I agree with Bill. As a worship leader, it is a problem when you break a string in the middle of a Praise and Worship set. Having said that, I broke the first string ever on my balladeer in almost a year of use. But then I usually change strings every 4-6 weeks if I am playing the guitar regularly and I believe I let that set go almost 2 months. I go a little longer on guitars I don't play regularly. If I am playing a gig or a worship service I now usually use my O, but if I were to use another guitar, I would make sure to put a fresh set of strings on before.

According to my local luthier, guitar strings develop small indentations where they meet the frets, nut, and saddle. These indentations lead to intonation problems. He recommends performing musicians (2+ gigs a week) change strings weekly.

I must say I enjoy a new fresh set of strings on any of my guitars. They are just so springy and chimey.

If you want to change strings more often, you can save money by buying in quanity. Check this site.

http://www.webstrings.com/
cliff
Posted 2005-08-10 10:32 AM (#141141 - in reply to #141131)

If I can get 2 gigs (or more) out of a set, I am THRILLED! I'm pretty much a "WorseCaseScenario" consumer:

An average "gig" is pretty much FOUR full hours of playing with one 10-15 min. break in the middle.
We generally play a lot of material that's not normally "done" on acoustic guitars.
I play with a very heavy "percussive" style, and generally break G, D, (and some)A strings (at the saddle.
I tend to sweat a lot when I play, and (like MasterTempleman) have very corrosive sweat. I've tried stuff like the Dunlop65 StringCleaner (which is NOT the same as the "polish"), but found that while it DOES remove the "corrosion", it makes the strings "brittle" and weak, and they don't last AT ALL.

I've recently received (from the Celebrated Mr. K.) a set of custom GHS "Gypsy" strings to try out on the SlotHead. They're loop-end, and appear t'be Nickle(?)-Wound, and Bill said they have nice volume/tone on his Slots (especially when playing fingerstyle). Have YET to try 'em. Being that I don't gig the SlotHead, I don't "sweat up" the strings, and since the guitar is inherently LOUD, I don't have to flail at it to get the volume. I mainly just play it around the house (fingerstyle), so the strings just end up getting "old-sounding" and don't break.

. . . . wish they were ALL like that :rolleyes:
leftovertion
Posted 2005-08-10 11:33 AM (#141142 - in reply to #141131)

Tommy,

For a string with more flexibility, try the new Martin SP Fingerstyle strings. Thay claim to be designed for just that: more flexibility than the same gauge non-fingerstyle strings. I've found that SP strings have great tone and seem to last as long as D-Addario, DR Strings, and some others.
Jeff
Posted 2005-08-10 11:35 AM (#141143 - in reply to #141131)

Originally posted by Markthemagic:
I agree with Bill. As a worship leader, it is a problem when you break a string in the middle of a Praise and Worship set.
I'm a worship leader too, but I guess I'm just blessed with hands that don't sweat much, and what sweat is produced apparently isn't very corrosive.

I can get away with not changing strings for at least two or three months on average. Believe it or not, I've gone more than six months sometimes without changing strings. However, and I don't really know how effective this is in prolonging string life, but I am almost obsessive/compulsive when it comes to washing my hands before playing and then wiping the strings down thoroughly afterwards. I rarely break a string during play. When I break 'em it's usually when I'm changing them or bringing them back up to pitch after tuning down to do some bridge/saddle maintenance. I can remember only one time I ever broke a string on stage and, believe it or not, I broke it on the very last chord of the last song of the night.

Jeff
stringinstrument
Posted 2005-08-11 11:29 AM (#141144 - in reply to #141131)

Hello Tommy, Strings are a funny thing and everyone has a favorite. I don't want to sound like a D'Addario commercial, but they are what I play (except my MM68). For acoustics that are mostly played plugged in I order D'add EFT16's. They are a semi flat top that just doesn't squeak. For mostly acoustic the EJ16's are great. So if you are playing plugged in, try the flat tops. I think you will like them.

Play on, Pray for Peace.

Glenn
an4340
Posted 2005-08-11 12:55 PM (#141145 - in reply to #141131)

My order of preferance:
1)Dean Markley TLT's (any of them)
2)Daddario exp's 26
3)Adamas 1818's
4)Free strings
I've tried lots and these seem the best money for value. Free is my favorite because I don't care about the price and couldn't give a f-k how long they last; they start dying and off they come.
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-08-11 1:04 PM (#141146 - in reply to #141131)

Personally I've found DR strings to be great ( and cheaper than Elixers).
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-08-11 1:23 PM (#141147 - in reply to #141131)

I have Martin SPs on my Collector's and they sound dead after only a couple months of fairly light playing. It may be that the African Bubinga is just a dead sounding top. I just put a set of light D'Addario EXPs on the Balladeer and it has a lot more punch. I thought it had mediums on it when I bought it because it had so much volume and it was a shallow bowl. It plays a little easier now, but still has a lot of volume. I have a bunch of the Adamas 1818s now to try, but I go for a long time without wearing out strings. I mostly finger pick and probably don't play as much in 2 weeks as Cliff does in one night. I sweat like a pig, but not as much as Cliff does. The guitars are in my basement rec room where it's always nice and cool.
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-11 1:23 PM (#141148 - in reply to #141131)

I've used the DR electric strings for years, but I haven't been that happy with thier acoustic strings.
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-11 6:24 PM (#141149 - in reply to #141131)

"I sweat like a pig, but not as much as Cliff does."

Nicely done...gotta admire lexical skill.
BrianT
Posted 2005-08-11 6:44 PM (#141150 - in reply to #141131)

I am going back to Elixir Nanowebs. I tried the D'Addario EXPs and they were OK but not that great soundwise. I tried some John Pearse and I swear those things went out of tune at the drop of a hat, even after well broken in. I have tried a few versions of Martin SPs and they are OK as well, but also good but not that great sounding. Aside from the longer life issue, I think that I like the sound of Elixer Nanowebs best, so even if they cost a bit more I think they are worth it for the sound alone.
WeaserP
Posted 2005-08-11 8:10 PM (#141151 - in reply to #141131)

Originally posted by ChatMan:
"..., but not as much as Cliff does."
Maybe it's just me but I see that finish becoming a tagline of epic proportion. :eek:
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-11 8:34 PM (#141152 - in reply to #141131)

Tommy, When you started this conversation you mentioned you like Elixers. So...what's the problem? Why don't you just stick with them? I started using them before they became popular and they're my favorite BY FAR. Sometimes when I say that, I feel like the guy who stands up proudly among Martin players and announces he loves Ovations. But that's OK. Every now and then I experiment with something different, but I always go back to Elixer polywebs. John <>{
WeaserP
Posted 2005-08-11 8:48 PM (#141153 - in reply to #141131)

As much as I believe it all comes down to personal preference (as well as how much you sweat, how hard you play, how much you play, etc.), I'll also say that I'm a confirmed fan of the Elixers and that's really all I'll play anymore. For a buck or two more than the others, I get what sounds good to me.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-12 5:23 AM (#141154 - in reply to #141131)

They cost more than "a buck or two more", and I do go through times of rebellion where I buy cheap strings cause I'm mad about the cost of Elixers. I always come back though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)