The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Off the wall question - Adamas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

djenn
Posted 2005-04-04 2:49 PM (#156464)
Subject: Off the wall question - Adamas

Hi, I'm new here and have a strange question to start off with. I'm a fan of Ovation and have a 6868 Elite Standard that I like a lot. I've always liked the Adamas version, although I'd never played one. Well, I get caught up in eBay fever and purchase a 1998 SMT 1597 for $1000. Great shape, just about like new, sounds awesome (rich, deep, sustain) so no complaints there.

However; this thing is hard to play. Very. I put new Elixer 12's on it (Nanoweb) and my fingers are about bloody gone. So, my strange question is this: is more tension required because of the graphite top? Doesn't make sense to me that it would be, but something has to explain the pressure required on the strings. My 6868 isn't like that, nor is my Martin J-1 (with 13's). Did I just happen to get a bad set of strings and just happen to install them on a the new guitar?

Any help much appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
djenn
Posted 2005-04-04 2:55 PM (#156465 - in reply to #156464)
Subject: Re: Off the wall question - Adamas

I should have added that the action is not high. It has one shim left in it, I took one out when I changed the strings. Action is about the same as the 6868, maybe just a little lower on fret 12.
Beal
Posted 2005-04-04 3:23 PM (#156466 - in reply to #156464)

Maybe it's got higher nut action?

If it's the same at the 12th as your other guitar it should be about the same feel unless maybe there's more warp in the neck?

Shouldn't be the strings, unless you played it for hours and hours because it's your new toy......
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-04 3:28 PM (#156467 - in reply to #156464)

I was thinking the same about the neck adjustment.
Bentman
Posted 2005-04-04 6:12 PM (#156468 - in reply to #156464)

I also have a 1998 SMT and I use the Elixir Polyweb Lights. I don't see much, if any of a difference compared with other guitars except my classical which has half nylon strings. I think you just need to get used to it. Your fingers will toughen up.

http://jeromegalopin.free.fr/Adamas%20Models/1597-SMT%20Adamas/Adam...
djenn
Posted 2005-04-05 8:21 AM (#156469 - in reply to #156464)

I check for warping as the manual suggests by holding down the 6th string on both the 1st and 13th frets. I don't see a problem, there is a very small gap at the 5th fret, not much more then the thickness of a sheet of paper.

I'm now thinking that it might be the difference in the shape of the neck. It is thicker than my other 2 guitars and perhaps this puts my fingers at a different angle. I'll try it a little while longer and if nothing changes, off to eBay! Thanks, Dave
cliff
Posted 2005-04-05 8:37 AM (#156470 - in reply to #156464)

Okay, this may sound like a really stupid question but . . . .

is this guitar tuned correctly?

The reason I ask this is, at one time, I came home from vacation and went up into my music room (loft) in my old house. I picked up my guitar and found it to be somewhat difficult to play. It seemed to require a lot more effort, and bending was a bit of a bitch. Upon further investigation, I found out that the day before, my daughter had had some friends over, and one of these clowns (who supposedly "knew" what he was doing) was up in the loft playing my guitar. This fuckwit had tuned my guitar at LEAST two and a half steps higher than A440. In hindsight, I should have noticed the difference in pitch right away, but I'd just come back from not playing for a week, and the differnce in playability had thrown me off . . .

Needless to say, the "RiotAct" was handed down forthwit.

Like I said, it's a somewhat stupid, obvious question . . . but just thought I'd ask . . .
djenn
Posted 2005-04-05 9:53 AM (#156471 - in reply to #156464)

Hey, nothing is a stupid as me asking if the top made a difference in string tension!!

It is in "perfect" tune, green dots all the way. I've found that if the strings a even a tiny bit flat OR sharp, the guitar doesn't sound good at all. I think maybe the guitar is above my playing ability but that is another thing altogether. It sounds soooo good when you get it right, awesome guitar. I just hope I can get it down. I think I'll try Extra Light 10's tonight and go from there. I do not want to sell this one!
cliff
Posted 2005-04-05 10:01 AM (#156472 - in reply to #156464)

Don't go TOO light on the strings - your guitar'll sound "thin".

I'd just "keep at it" if I were you . . .

After just a bit of "tial&error" time, you'll just become a stonger player . . . . notta bad thing.

Congrats on a great guitar!
g'uck with it.
leftovertion
Posted 2005-04-05 10:19 AM (#156473 - in reply to #156464)

I've noticed the same thing with my fairly new 1777 Legend; it seems to take more pressure from my fingers than either of my Larrivees.

I think it's a combination of things. First, as cwk2 said, have a good guitar tech check the nut slots to see that they're cut to the proper depth. I've lowered mine (I've done a number of nuts on my Warmoth guitars), but it's still hard on the fingers.

The next thing I've noticed is the shape of the neck; the O has a more pronounced and deep V/C shape, which is very different from my Larrivees. I'm seriously considering reshaping the neck myself because it's so different. I'll also put a gloss finish on the back of the neck when I reshape it. (BTW, I also have an old 1124 Country Classic; the neck on that is shaped much more like my Larrivee's and my hand never gets tired playing that neck, so...)

The third thing is the frets; I haven't measured yet, but I think they're taller than on my Larrivee; it is harder to do slides over the frets on the Ovation. So it may also require some fret dressing.

If you like the guitar, the problem should be solvable, and if it's easier to play, you should also see an improvement in the guitar's tone.

I've really grown to like the sound of the Ovation compared to my Larrivees (which I LOVE in every respect); the O has stronger string separation and and really cuts through; every note is clear. I did a projection test last night with my sons to see which guitar sounded louder from 10-15 feet away, they said it was definitely the Ovation. So I want to get this thing as playable as my Larrys, cuz it's got a unique and commanding voice.
djenn
Posted 2005-04-05 11:30 AM (#156474 - in reply to #156464)

Thanks for the encouragement! I need it. I would take it to the local Ovation authorized shop but the guy there (I hesitate to call him a luthier) is about 18 years old and I just don't know if I trust him with this instrument. My 6868 maybe but not this one.

Anyone know of a good Ovation luthier in Houston, Texas?
Mr. Adamas
Posted 2005-04-05 12:55 PM (#156475 - in reply to #156464)

elixir 12 doesn't mean light. did u get light or light-med? both have .012 1st string. u might have got light-med.

go to your local dealer & try another 1597.
djenn
Posted 2005-04-12 11:34 AM (#156476 - in reply to #156464)

Still trying to conquer the Adamas. String gauges are 12 - 53, which I think is the pure light version. Haven't had a lot of success but some. I've searched the messages with no luck, does anyone have a suggestion on waxing/oiling the neck to make it "slippery". It is so much bigger than my others, I'm hoping that will help. BTW, I do have very large hands as I stand 6'4" tall. I still think maybe it is the angle that is giving me problems.

Tried finding another one locally to try but no luck. Lot's of Ovations around here but few Adamas. Good news is someone offered to buy it for what I paid, so at least I know I won't lose my shirt on it.
HydraShok
Posted 2005-04-12 12:23 PM (#156477 - in reply to #156464)

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but try a capo on various frets and see if you still have the problem. If I'm not mistaken that may determine whether the nut is either too high or cut wrong. Just a thought.
BruDeV
Posted 2005-04-12 2:06 PM (#156478 - in reply to #156464)

Also, you should contact Ovation to ask them about resizing the neck. Both for price and feasibility.
djenn
Posted 2005-05-17 8:48 PM (#156479 - in reply to #156464)

Thought I would update you guys (I know, you were waiting, holding your breath) on what I was able to come up with.

Turns out that it was a bad set of strings. Now playing and loving the sound (I'm not sure that plain ol' 1597's get much respect around here) now that I have a good set of Elixer Nanowebs on her.

Sent the Elixer Polywebs to the factory (never knew that they also make Gore-tex fabric hunting clothes) and they were wound wrong. Seems there was too much space between the windings. I had thrown away the box so couldn't provide a batch number, but it sure made me feel better.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-05-17 8:52 PM (#156480 - in reply to #156464)

Well, go figure. I bet you are relieved. I hereby retract any diagnosis previously made.
MWoody
Posted 2005-05-17 8:58 PM (#156481 - in reply to #156464)

"Gore-Tex" is the formula and patented name for the Teflon coating process used on lots of stuff. I think it originated from a Northwest Co.

Sometimes we all get wound up a little wrong!

Glad it worked out!
jyam4
Posted 2005-05-17 9:45 PM (#156482 - in reply to #156464)

I don't think anyone has suggested that it might be the shape of the frets themselves. I have a pretty high-end, unique Washburn NV100 A/E. It not only has a truss rod adjustment, but also a neck pitch adjustment, so you could literally adjust the action on-the-fly with a twist of an allen key. A really great feature, to say the least. But even though I can get the action really low, it's still harder to play than my Ovation or Gibson. The only reason I could figure out was the shape of the frets. They seem to be taller and narrower. Could this be the situation with your Adamas?
Joe
jyam4
Posted 2005-05-17 10:09 PM (#156483 - in reply to #156464)

Sorry for previous reply - just read post about strings.
Joe
DrewMcQ
Posted 2005-05-18 10:04 PM (#156484 - in reply to #156464)

I don't think it will help, but a product called Fastfret can be applied to you strings. This cleaner also lubes the strings making larger fret transitions easier. I also treat my hand to a light dusting of Shower-to-Shower talc powder on the crotch between index and thumb. (don't sub other brands)

You asked about "does anyone have a suggestion on waxing/oiling the neck to make it "slippery". It is so much bigger than my others, I'm hoping that will help."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)