The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Lovin the LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

zchord
Posted 2004-05-14 11:19 AM (#187754)
Subject: Lovin the LX

I have just had my Elite LX for two days and I love it. Sounds great plugged and unplugged (even next to my Martin). Do Ovations come with medium strings? I replaced the EXP's with elixir lights and the action was way high, so I took out the shims and its way low and the tone is lacking. Next comes 1 shim and mabe mediums. I replaced the hardware with gold/ebony grover tuners and schaller strap lock gold strap buttons. Next comes a new TRC. Love the inlay on the top much better than the onlay. Great guitar, look forward to using it to play at church.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slap
Posted 2004-05-14 11:30 AM (#187755 - in reply to #187754)
Subject: Re: Lovin the LX

Z

I have the Standard elite LX...great guitar, and I put Elixer lights on it and the action is still very good. I try not to use mediums. Others may have a different opinion tho'.

Sam
John B
Posted 2004-05-14 11:32 AM (#187756 - in reply to #187754)

I think that Ovations come with D'addario lights on them. I normally have to fiddle with the action and or string gauge on a new guitar to find my "comfort zone". My LX however, came to me set up perfectly. Thank you Al!
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-14 11:34 AM (#187757 - in reply to #187754)

It's great to hear all the excitement coming from OFC members about their recent purchases. I hope the buzz translates beyond us die-hards and becomes a big success for Ovation.
Brad
John B
Posted 2004-05-14 11:46 AM (#187758 - in reply to #187754)

I think that the LX series will go a long way in helping the "traditional" player begin to appreciate Ovations. The trick is getting a well set up (and tuned up) Ovation into their hands. Beyond that, the guitar should sell itself. My boss is in his sixties and played in country bands for years. When my guitar came to the office yesterday, he tried it and was blown away! "I didn't know these guitars were so nice" was the quote as I remember it.
Slap
Posted 2004-05-14 12:01 PM (#187759 - in reply to #187754)

Agree..If the word gets around and people discover it's not just a pretty guitar...but has fine tonal quality as well...it should take off.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-15 2:10 PM (#187760 - in reply to #187754)

My Legend LX has already made two new Ovation converts. Everyone who plays this guitar loves it. That is great news for Ovation. :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-15 8:51 PM (#187761 - in reply to #187754)

I was in my local GC today and they finally got an Elite LX in. Of course, it was high on the wall where nobody will play it. I had the salesman take it down for me. They had literally just gotten it in along with another Ovation they hadn't unpacked yet.

The Elite LX was in the New England barnburst color. In the pictures, I had always disliked this color, but in person, it's quite attractive.

The guitar had new strings on it and played and sounded wonderful. I was quite impressed, but will wait for a deep bowl. The guitar rang out with an openness that I hadn't heard from a new Ovation in years. But I wonder how many people will hear it or play it. You can only get to it with a ladder. The Celebs are all down low. Up high was an Adamas, a Custom Legend SSB, the Elite LX, and a S771 Balladeer. All guitars that would sell if they were where people could get to them.

The other O that was just in was being unpacked when I was handing back the LX and I had the honor of tuning it up and playing it. It was an Elite T but the top had the hot rod red flames on it. The bowl was a standard O mid depth bowl. The fingerboard was ebony with no inlays as was the bridge. The saddle was black. I tuned it up (OP 30, a pain to use after the OP Pro on the LX) and hit a chord. Just lovely. It rang out and sounded wonderful. I have been very impressed with the T's.

While I'll still wait for a deep bowl LX, anybody who plays one and is objective about it is going to like it. There are much better guitars than Snailors and most Fartin's.

I was impressed. Put a deep bowl on it and it will sound very much like my 68 Deluxe Balladeer. And that's a guitar I'd like to buy.
zchord
Posted 2004-05-15 9:14 PM (#187762 - in reply to #187754)

Moody
I agree about the Elite T. I love them (in black) I had one, but the preamp had a problem, so I sent it back and got a different guitar (another story). I went to my closest GC the other day (one day after receiving my elite LX) and was able to play the "real"elite LX-not much better than my standard- I'm happy- and I played the Elite T again. Man I want one of those. They are sweet guitars. I also drove down the road and played a 30th Ann. It was really sweet. I am tempted to put my TAylor 310ce and my Martin CEO4 on the market aand replace them with one or two more Ovations. I would love to have an Adamas and an Elite T in black. Then the variable in sound would be there (different top on all A, AA spruce, graphite, different pickups and electronics on all, etc...) Hmm.... Could I become an all Ovation man? I love just sitting on the couch watching a movie (saw Blue Collar Comedy Tour last night, funny) and occasionally glancing over at the Elite LX, man it looks good on the stand!) I would love the 12 fret slothead Adamas... I could go on. I'm lovin what Ovation has to offer.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-16 6:15 AM (#187763 - in reply to #187754)

Moody,
It sounds like your Guitar Center has a good range of Ovation porduct. I have never seen an Adamas at ours. And for every USA instrument there are 9 made in Korean. I would really like to see them display a couple USA Os in the "high end" room.
Brad
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-16 9:26 AM (#187764 - in reply to #187754)

None of the O's there were in the high end room. And the really good ones were up high were people couldn't get at them without a salesperson. So, as usual, unless somebody knows what he is looking for, he'll pick up a Celeb and walk away thinking that all Ovations sound like shit.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-16 9:52 AM (#187765 - in reply to #187754)

How can an Adamas not be in the high end room? Un-flippin-beleiveable.
zchord.....it's Sunday.....how did the church music go today?
Brad
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-05-16 10:16 AM (#187766 - in reply to #187754)

At the gc near me, they have the same arrangement; the celebrities are within reach while the more expensive Ovations and the Adamas are up high. Not a single Ovation product is in the high end room. The lower level Taylors, including the big baby were all in the high end room. The last time I was there I pulled off the Adamas and brought it into the country club room and it did very well against anything up to $2000 in an acoustic comparison. I don't want to slam the gc too much, as they have the most American made Ovations for sale of any store I've seen.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-16 7:47 PM (#187767 - in reply to #187754)

Brad, the Adamas guitars are not in the high-end room at GC because they don't see them as high-end, only as "an expensive Ovation". My take on GC's layout is that they see Martin, Gibson and Taylor as the high-end brands, everything else as entry- and mid-level.

The GC in Canton has had an Adamas CVT 6-string for nearly a year, and it has been up in the rafters virtually the entire time. ONCE, I found it in the high-end room, after Christmas, when they were low on stock. The original EXP strings had been replaced with something light and cheap, and it hurt the sound. It still sounded better than most of what was in the room with it.

Sometimes, I find a CELEBRITY in the high-end room when it gets misplaced......

Roger
williamfriggle
Posted 2004-05-19 3:28 PM (#187768 - in reply to #187754)

I was at Sam Ash yesturday and tried the Legend LX. WOW!. Now I have gas. I am going to sell my Martin to get it. Anybody want a Martin SPD-16M?

Bill
Denver, PA
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-19 4:03 PM (#187769 - in reply to #187754)

Good job Bill. You will love the Legend LX. Great guitar!
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-19 5:22 PM (#187770 - in reply to #187754)

Fantasic choice Bill.
Let me know where the Martin ends up. (check out the "Where do they go?" thread)
Brad
zchord
Posted 2004-05-19 6:58 PM (#187771 - in reply to #187754)

I have yet to play one, but based on what I am getting soundwise from my std elite lx, I am really thinking about a Legend. Anybody want to buy a Taylor 310ce or a Martin CEO4?
alpep
Posted 2004-05-19 7:24 PM (#187772 - in reply to #187754)

I am always open to trades
e me with what guitars you have and your asking price and I can see what I can work out.
jamlevesque
Posted 2004-05-20 8:54 PM (#187773 - in reply to #187754)

Saw one Legend LX at the local music shop way up high.I asked for it and played it and loved it.I'm saving up for that one.Selling the Taylor baseball bat and keeping the '70 standard Balladeer.All Ovations for me except for that old Strat I'm hanging on to.
Jim.
zchord
Posted 2004-05-20 9:33 PM (#187774 - in reply to #187754)

I have my Elite, my Taylor, and my Martin CEO all out on stands and I'll play one, then another, etc.. the elite is hanging right in there with the other two and I love the playability of the Ovation. GAS is a horrible thing, man.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)