The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What's In A Name?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2005-01-19 7:44 AM (#166027)
Subject: What's In A Name?

... just curious...

...what was the reasoning behind the naming of the guitar models? Breadwinner, Deacon, Preacher, Storm Series... etc.... I have my own guesses, but...CW2?

--------------------

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-01-19 7:36 PM (#166028 - in reply to #166027)
Subject: Re: What's In A Name?

born again weatherman?
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-01-19 9:11 PM (#166029 - in reply to #166027)

LOL!!
Now that's funny! :D
Good one Tony!
I for one am not sure of the reasons for the names. Maybe CWK2 will provide some insight.
Elite LX
Posted 2005-01-19 9:45 PM (#166030 - in reply to #166027)

I would assume it is a marketing thing..........same as with cars. Better than saying this is my six string or just this is my guitar. I think it makes things nice to have a name..........I am touchy feely right now. An hour from now I may say the hell with it, hand me my damn guitar..............right now it is hand me my Elite! :D
Bailey
Posted 2005-01-20 2:01 AM (#166031 - in reply to #166027)

Tim

That is a helluva good question. I was there when those models came on the scene, and their appellations seemed relevant for the times. It was a time of challanging the status quo and trying to be a little more outrageous than before but not enough so you couldn't appear on the Glen Campbell Show.

Who were the music gods then, Christofferson, Johnny Cash, Willy Nelson, Billy Joe Shaver, Waylon, Jesse, Roger Miller was still alive, Jethro Burns was a hidden secret, my mind just went blank when I tried to remember who wrote the "City Of New Orleans", Jethro used to play on his shows before he (Steve) died.

Deacon, Breadwinner, Viper sort of reflected our desire to live off of our guitars, even though we had to keep our day job. Times Change.

Bailey
cruster
Posted 2005-01-20 5:54 AM (#166032 - in reply to #166027)

I always thought the Deacon was the inspiration for that Steely Dan song.

You know, they got a name for the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide. Call me Deacon Blues.

Or...something...nevermind.

EDIT: But, wait! There's more! It just came to me as I now have Deacon Blues stuck in my ear (farging earworms)...

I crawl like a viper, through these suburban streets..

Don't you see! Deacon *and* Viper in the same song! It's all soooo clear now!
Slipkid
Posted 2005-01-20 7:18 AM (#166033 - in reply to #166027)

Kinda related... I sell driveline products with extended and complicated part numbers. It's said that the guy who dreamed up these clunking numbers lifted licence plate numbers from the parking lot.
Beal
Posted 2005-01-20 8:08 AM (#166034 - in reply to #166027)

Several answers.
1. The names came from free-range marketing personages who were uncontrolled.

2. I think that the Viper and Deacon came out before the songs, but I think Donald Fagen was slightly influenced.

3. There was a big jar with all the names written on paper and they were stirred up and drawn at randon.

4.And the answer is.........
These came over time and different people, there is no sense or logic.
The storm series, somebody liked this and they went with it, guitars were Atlantic storms and basses were Pacific storms. Not a bad concept but even at the time it was a little worn out.
The Breadweinner, this was the lower line guitar and was going to be a work-horse for the musician, or the breadwinner for him.(most at the factory had never heard the term before this but that's another story)
The Deacon, the up line model. No idea where this came from.(as an aside, it took about a year to come up with these names as the bodies were refined from the battle axe shape to what we know today)
Viper, because it had the sharp tele bite sound.
Preecher, There already was a Deacon so what the hell, let in another church person.
Viper 3, 3 pickups. That one was pretty easy to come up with.
Preecher deluxe, upgrade of the preecher, same logic as above.
Magnum, Rickard alwasy thought that a bass should be BIG. Magnum is a big bottle. Marketing bought it, end of story.(I took him to see Rod Stewart and the faces one time and Denny Lane had a Zematis bass with those rails for thumb and finger rests. He thought that was the coolest thing and so they appeared on the Mag 1 & 2.)
UK2, Kaman corporate came up with the name, (why they had the job, another long convoluted story) The U was urethane which the body was made from, but could also be Ultra which we had used on several other guitars by then. K is obvious and they wanted brownie points so they threw in the 2 to make CHK think that they thought alot of his son (another point of fiction, however it did keep me quiet since I had been a rather vocal critic of previous names). Put together the UK is England where alot of good music comes from. It worked.
PF-22 Stands for Peavy F@cker. was in responce to Hartley Peavey's ad for his guitar which showed him sitting on an amp with the guitar, the T-60, and the headline, "It took me 22 years to make this guitar". Our guitar was sposed to beat his. Our concept for the ad was me in the Phi Zappa Crappa pose holding our guitar and the headline "It took 22 minutes to make this guitar". It never made the launch pad. The name did get some popularity since nobody knew what it stood for. When grilled by a corporate person once I said Peavey Fighter but I don't think he believed me. Randy Hess and I came up with the whole concept.

I think that's all of them.

Actually #1 is the right answer.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2005-01-20 8:32 AM (#166035 - in reply to #166027)

...whew...

...uh, thanks ;)

btw.. any pics of Goldfinger yet?
xbj
Posted 2005-01-20 8:32 AM (#166036 - in reply to #166027)

I thought the "Eclipse" idea was creative... by painting over the unacceptable thuderhead, tornado, and typhoon bodies with Polane (including the binding!) they were "eclipsing" the original finishes!

Made no sense from a storm point of view until you realized that an eclipse blocks either the sun or moon.

Les
8D
cruster
Posted 2005-01-20 11:10 AM (#166037 - in reply to #166027)

Originally posted by cwk2:
...snippage...
PF-22 Stands for Peavy F@cker. was in responce to Hartley Peavey's ad for his guitar which showed him sitting on an amp with the guitar, the T-60, and the headline, "It took me 22 years to make this guitar". Our guitar was sposed to beat his. Our concept for the ad was me in the Phi Zappa Crappa pose holding our guitar and the headline "It took 22 minutes to make this guitar". It never made the launch pad. The name did get some popularity since nobody knew what it stood for. When grilled by a corporate person once I said Peavey Fighter but I don't think he believed me. Randy Hess and I came up with the whole concept.

W2, that cracks me up. But, come on, we both know that when Hartley said, 'It took me 22 years...' what he really meant was, 'I've had Chip Todd shackled to a duplicarver in my basement for most of his life and this is the best thing he's turned out so far.'

Actually, I like the T60s. But, then again, I'm a sucker for the underdog every time. That being said, I've never seen a PF-22...

Nevermind, now I have. Miles has quite a collection. :) The PF-22 looks like the predecessor to all those pointy hair-band SooperShtrat shredder guitars from the 80s! Sharp horns, mini toggles...what more could you ask for? Maybe hot pink paint? :D Damn fine looking guitars, though.
cliff
Posted 2005-01-20 11:27 AM (#166038 - in reply to #166027)

". . . Our concept for the ad was me in the Phi Zappa Crappa pose holding our guitar . . . It never made the launch pad . . ."

It's not too late . . .

. . . we HAVE "the technology" . . .

Lemme Know . . . :D
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-01-20 11:48 AM (#166039 - in reply to #166027)

Cliff, maybe an animated cursor when logged into the OFC; could change when appropriate such as now that Taylor is introducing an electric.
cruster
Posted 2005-01-20 5:07 PM (#166040 - in reply to #166027)

Taylor is introducing an electric guitar? Larrivee used to make electric guitars, too, you know. :)
Beal
Posted 2005-01-20 6:24 PM (#166041 - in reply to #166027)

I forgot about the eclipse but that is the logic of that one, an eclipse is all black.

Cliff, thanks, I'll pass.

Hartley and I had a good laugh when I told him this story.

Taylor is making an electric? Oh joy! Isn't THAT special. Now somebody go tell Bob that the world ain't waiting for another f@$#^ng electric guitar.

Goldie is doing well and I have a pic but I forgot to have Cliff help me get them posted New Years day. I'll get to it, I really will, well, at least I'll try.......
MWoody
Posted 2005-01-20 11:30 PM (#166042 - in reply to #166027)

He still needs to bring that pick back...

Underneath the black "polane" of my non-originalized Breadwinner was a red Deacon one piece body!

Thank you Inspectors 54 and 61 by the way!
Bailey
Posted 2005-01-21 1:49 AM (#166043 - in reply to #166027)

The name Deacon might have been stolen from Deacon Jones, a mean football defensive player at the time. Meaning one who can kick ass and generally does.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-01-21 2:02 AM (#166044 - in reply to #166027)

Deacon Jones, a mean football defensive player

One of the original Fearsome Foursome. Played next to Rosie Grier ... whose most famous tackle was that of Sirhan Sirhan in the Ambassador Hotel in June 1968. :(
cliff
Posted 2005-01-21 8:36 AM (#166045 - in reply to #166027)

What can I say, Bill?
When ya' throw a party that's so good that the last thing y'wanna do is fire up the computer . . . that's a GOOD thing! (sorry, Martha ;-)

Next time the weekend golf gets rained out down there, gimme a call at home and I'll talk ya' through the process . . .

I got nice pics of some of your neighbors, I'll send some down next time I fire up the photo printer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)