The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Kaki, her Adamas, and a crowd of 6000

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

popcritic
Posted 2005-08-08 11:34 AM (#141226)
Subject: Kaki, her Adamas, and a crowd of 6000

BostonGlobe.com 8-8-05
Newport Folk Festival

http://tinyurl.com/bna6x

"....Music fans looking for something genuinely fresh found it in Krystle Warren, a 23-year-old singer-songwriter from Kansas City whose earthy, intricate songs and dusky singing herald the arrival of an exciting voice in the folk scene. Another young performer, 25-year-old former busker and fretboard-slapping sprite Kaki King, accomplished the formidable task of making an acoustic guitar sound thrilling and new."

Dave King
Kaki's dad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-08-08 12:11 PM (#141227 - in reply to #141226)
Subject: Re: Kaki, her Adamas, and a crowd of 6000

I may be the only one who doesn't know, but what's a busker?
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-08 12:20 PM (#141228 - in reply to #141226)

Well, if you have to ask then you don't deserve to know ...

ummm ... by the way ... what is it ?
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-08 12:32 PM (#141229 - in reply to #141226)

It is the musician version of panhandler. A.K.A a street performer.

www.dictionary.com should be in everybody's list of favorites.
MWoody
Posted 2005-08-08 2:09 PM (#141230 - in reply to #141226)

Around here we call them In-Laws...
stephent28
Posted 2005-08-08 3:12 PM (#141231 - in reply to #141226)

They hold a "buskerfest" in downtown Denver every year that last either 2 or 3 days (don't remember).

A great time with fantastic entertainment. I dropped quite a few bucks into the various buckets the last time I went.
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-08-08 3:17 PM (#141232 - in reply to #141226)

I learn something new everyday from this board. :)

I never have seen so much information in one website. You guys are full of it,(Information that is). :D

Congratulations to Kaki. Very nice review amongst a very impressive line up of artists.

Maybe she will turn the younger generation on to Ovations the way Glen and others did for us.
an4340
Posted 2005-08-08 3:27 PM (#141233 - in reply to #141226)

First time I heard the word used was in philly about 25 years ago. In NYC, until recently we called 'em street musicians. Now busker is the word everyone seems to use. I like how it's related to buscar, to search. I wonder how we got the word here in the US.
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 5:28 PM (#141234 - in reply to #141226)

Originally posted by popcritic:
BostonGlobe.com 8-8-05
Newport Folk Festival

http://tinyurl.com/bna6x

"....Music fans looking for something genuinely fresh found it in Krystle Warren, a 23-year-old singer-songwriter from Kansas City whose earthy, intricate songs and dusky singing herald the arrival of an exciting voice in the folk scene. Another young performer, 25-year-old former busker and fretboard-slapping sprite Kaki King, accomplished the formidable task of making an acoustic guitar sound thrilling and new."

Dave King
Kaki's dad
mr. king,
i saw kaki last month in cleveland, opening for eric johnson. she totally blew away the audience(my wife and i included). i thought she was as wonderful of a performer as she was a gifted guitarist. she played about 45 min. and even though the crowd was there to see eric, hearing her play longer would not have been a problem!
she really overwhelmed a crowd of mostly guitarists...hats off to her. can't wait till she comes around here again.
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-09 2:01 AM (#141235 - in reply to #141226)

Dave

That sounds like a great concert to me.

Kaki, Del McCoury, etc, and some very good musicians that are not as famous as they should be but are well known to other musicians.

As usual, Kaki is standing out in very good company.

Does she find time to palaver with any of her co-performers and tell her dad any interesting gossip (that he could share with us elderly shut-ins)??

Bailey
popcritic
Posted 2005-08-09 3:24 PM (#141236 - in reply to #141226)

Bailey, Kaki has never been one to gossip much, at least not to me. She will only give me her opinion of other performers if I specifically ask her, and sometimes not even then. As always, she keeps her own counsel.

I will tell you this though, in two years of constant touring, she has made hundreds of professional acquaintances and friendships. Without fail, she always makes it a point to personally meet and thank the promoters of the event. She also tries to meet as many of the production staff (board people, stage crew, artist relations, etc.) as possible. I guess some might consider this "schmoozing", but I've always thought it a matter of professional courtesy.

On another note, our OFC friend Jerome will have a chance to see her perform in Paris. She'll be doing her first tour of France in October. She's hoping that a few UK gigs will be added while she's over there.

Bailey, I hope Shirley is doing better.

Best regards--

Dave
Designzilla
Posted 2005-08-09 9:03 PM (#141237 - in reply to #141226)

Dave,
Talking to the sound guys and the crew at any event is not schmoozing, it paying a courtesy to the folks who make things work. Wow, Kaki is amazingly talented as well as friendly and courteous! Sounds like you raised a very well rounded young lady.

I'm also glad to hear she is touring Europe, BUT... maybe could she make a trip to Florida?!!??? It's great here in the winter. :)
Jérôme
Posted 2005-08-10 12:53 AM (#141238 - in reply to #141226)

Yes Dave, I will be there !!
I'm so impatient now.

She will perform at "La Cigale".
It's a small concert hall (less than 1000 seats) just beside the "Moulin Rouge" in the heart of Paris.
This is one of the nicest place for music in Paris because you're very near the artists!!

Most of the greatest artists have played in this place.
I've seen Julian lennon's performance in 1989 and some french artists.

I've made some "promotion" of kaki's show on the french forums and I already know that I'll not be alone... ;)

I'm sure it will be a great moment

J :cool:
popcritic
Posted 2005-08-12 12:40 PM (#141239 - in reply to #141226)

Jerome, the rest of her France and Belgium tour has just been announced:

October 2005:

04 Orleans (l’astrolabe)
05 Clermont-Ferrand (la cooperative de mai)
06 OFF
07 Rennes (l’antipode)
08 Tours (le bateau ivre)
09 PARIS (LA CIGALE)
10 OFF
11 Reze – (La Barakason)
12 Bordeaux (barbey rock school)
13 Toulouse (havana cafe)
14 open
15 OFF
16 Montpellier (victoire II)
17 Marseille (espace julien)
18 Lyon (ninkasi kao)
19 OFF
20 Mulhouse (noumatrouf) TBC
21 Nancy (l’austrazic)
22 Strasbourg (la laiterie)
23 Bruxelles (orangerie du botanique)
24 OFF
25 Lille (le splendid)

Thanks for getting the word out over there.

Regardez--

Dave K
Jérôme
Posted 2005-08-13 4:17 AM (#141240 - in reply to #141226)

Many thanks Dave,

I sent some messages to announce all the dates of Kaki's tour.

J :cool:
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-17 2:33 AM (#141241 - in reply to #141226)

Dave

My son just toured Noway and Sweden with his Buckeye Bluegrass band and was very well recieved, here is an account.

Subject Buckeye Bluegrass in Scandinavia FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Reply to this post" Posted by raginred Posted on 8/14/05 01:15 PM

Just got back from a whirl through Sweden and Norway.Our first gig was at a Biker Ralley in Arjung Sweden(pronounced Orang).The Hillbilies Club invited us to play for thier annuall get together.Bluegrass at Hillbillies imagine that.Everyone was in a good mood when got there and it got better for the Mandolin Player(Bob Deitner) as it was his birthday,there was plenty of beer flowing if you know what I mean.The sound engineer was pumping ZZtop through the system before our sound check so I was a bit suspicious of his experience with acoustic instruments.Well I was right the whole night we were fighting with feed back through the moniters.Although the crowd was receptive they really wanted to rock,good thing we were the opening Act.May have a Norway gig for another Club booked for next year.
Next we traveled to Lillehamer Norway for a Gig at Tombestone City(not a mistype).Seems the Scandinavian people love the Old West.It was interesting to see,they had created a movie set style town on the side of an mountain that was fantastic.Got some good Promo photos from there.It was neat to hear a mock gunfight in Norwegen.Met a guy from Pheonix there Johann.We played on the sceond floor balcony of the Hotel and stayed in the rooms there.They tried like hell to keep it period and it felt like that.I had a touch of an allergy there so it was a little rough for an 7 hour gig(1/2 hour off for dinner).It so fun we didn't realize the time(except the banjo player Paul Clarke).
We took a side trip west to a fiord and the Trollsteps near the west coast of Norway.This is God's country in the summer time.There were water falls coming of the tops of the peaks as we wound thruogh the passes.It reminded me of the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado,Beautiful is the only way to describe it.Passed by the Dombas Hotel(pronounced Dumb ass)wanted to check in but it was full.We ended up at the fiord late sunday evening(3:00 P.M.) and therewasn't a place open but an Italian resteraunt.I had to have Fish as we on the Fiord so We ordered it commenting that it was probably Mrs. Paul's from America as it was Frozen.Got a lot of freash mountain air there.
Sillirud Sweden was the next gig.The best people in the world are "Country",and That is what these people are.Our best performance had to be in this little Hall in the middle of the sticks(Sweden).Great food, People and Moonshine,that's right Moonshine,I said they were Country.Got a chance to picnic on one of the many(I mean Many)lakes there with our Swedish Host Lars-Ericks.Ate the best smoked Salmon I ever ate(the Moonshine didn't kill the taste buds).We stayed in some cabins there Managed by his wife Britta(Great cook and organizer).Can't wait for the next tour.
We did an Bluegrass Festival next near Sonne Sweden.I'm telling you folks American Flags were being Flown all over the Grounds where it was held.I was proud that some our culture is apppreciated out side of this country.We were the third act up after a Contest.You would have loved to hear the Swedes singing Country Music even if you didn't like Country.We had to sound check an 1/2 hour before the show so we barely made our slot.God let it rain right after our set ended(Thank You Jesus) and a Rockabilly band went on.Those people don't let anything get in the way of a good time as they were dancing the night away in the rain.
Our last gig was somewhere near Amal Sweden.They resurected an old steam Locomotive and had train rides to the Country Festival where we were playing.The Conductor asked if we would play for the first train and we happily obliged.Everyone was dressed period(circa1880) it was great.They really enjoyed the fact that we could do the Acoustic thing and could'nt believe we traveled all the way from New Mexico to play there,What a treat for them and us.
The Festival was Fantastic(I'm trying not to over use the word,but it was).Our set started fine or atleast we thought it did when we received an complaint that they couldn't hear us in the 18th century barn where the tables were.The sound man was having problems with feed back and could not turn us up.The stage was wide open to the elements and it started to rain on our second set.I suggested we do it Acoustic in the Barn and around the tables so that those that couldn't hear us would get it right up close,needles to say it went off like gang busters.
All in all it was an week and half trip(wirlwind I'de say) of 5 Glorious gigs.They say we'll be back and I can't wait.Those were great People and Gigs!.Our new CD "There Aint No Train" is playing the airwaves there and we may have some work in Iceland and Demark for next year or next month,what ever happen's I'm there as long as it's not snowing(unless ofcourse the Moonshine is handy).
Be happy Americans some people still love us out there,

The Ragin' Redneck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)