The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I'm disappointed to find 2005 collectors doesn't have Schallers

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

muzza
Posted 2005-08-31 8:36 AM (#138751)
Subject: I'm disappointed to find 2005 collectors doesn't have Schallers

What are Ovation doing? I've bought the guitar that I've always wanted (but wasn't made until this year) only to find that they don't use Schallers any more.

What are these 'Ping' things? Are they called that because of the sound the strings make as they 'let go'?

I noticed in another thread that Standingovation isn't overly fussed about Pings.

I've been looking on eBay and there's deals to be made on Grovers and Sperzels, Schallers seem to be a bit more expensive. I bought a cheap set of chrome Grovers for my knock-about guitar on eBay and had an instant 'feel good' moment.

Does anyone have any experience with the locking Sperzels or locking Grovers? Are the locking ones mainly for heavy tremolo use, or are they good on an acoustic as well? (or are they overkill?)

Do the Pings on the 2005ES have screws or locating pins? If I put on different tuners, will that screw my resale? (not that I ever intend to sell it!)

What tuners do you guys recommend to replace these 'Pongs'?

Am I making a fuss over nothing? Should I just leave it alone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-31 8:52 AM (#138752 - in reply to #138751)
Subject: Re: I'm disappointed to find 2005 collectors doesn't have Schallers

Hi Muzza,

Obviously they use pings because of lower cost. As best I can see, only the Adamas get Schallers these days. But I would not worry about the Pings. My experience is that they function perfectly and equivilent to Schaller during their life time. My only experience is that the lifetime is shorter (I have had 2 Pings break, one the shaft and one the cover). I would not replace your Pings now because you will notice no difference. When they break, then replace them. By the way, they have screws, not pins. Also, the logos on the back have a thin piece of protective film on them. That's why they look "dull". Remove the film and they look nice and shiny. Summary - if I was building a guitar from scratch I certainly would not use Pings, but nor would I replace them on a new guitar just because of the name. Dave
iconocoustica
Posted 2005-08-31 9:15 AM (#138753 - in reply to #138751)

When did O switch from Schallers to Pings?

Franklin
muzza
Posted 2005-08-31 9:17 AM (#138754 - in reply to #138751)

About 6 months too early, I'd say.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-31 9:31 AM (#138755 - in reply to #138751)

Originally posted by iconocoustica:
When did O switch from Schallers to Pings?
They have been using Pings for a very long time on the lower end models. Gradually the Pings have worked their way up the line. I just bought a Custom Legend LX Contour Bowl, which along with the ADII and CE is just about as much as you can spend for a production model Ovation these days ... and it has Pings. It probably bothers me a lot less than it does others. Dave
an4340
Posted 2005-08-31 9:35 AM (#138756 - in reply to #138751)

I have to say, that my celebrity uses pings, and they work great, never a problem in over 14 years of use. So don't worry. In my opinion they work just as well as the schallers. I suppose it would be nice to have the most expensive tuners on a guitar, but why? You'll have to pay extra for them. Also, schallers are overrated, very little value for money in them. As a compromise, I think the Grovers are good value for money.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-08-31 3:57 PM (#138757 - in reply to #138751)

I have a Parker Nite Fly electric with the locking Sperzels. They are great, but I certainly wouldn't put them on a new Ovation just to replace the original Pings. From my experience, it takes a long, long time for guitar tuners to wear out.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-31 4:10 PM (#138758 - in reply to #138751)

I played a high end Martin the other day. An HD-41 I think. Anyway, I was surprised to see tuners with exposed worm screws and gears. I don't know what kind of tuners they were but I would think that an "enclosed" tuner would be preffered.
an4340
Posted 2005-08-31 4:25 PM (#138759 - in reply to #138751)

I actually like the open backed grover statites. I guess you'll have to talk to some real pros about open backed vs enclosed, they may know something I don't, but the statites last a long time, and actually look easier to repair if something goes wrong. Never had the pleasure of replacing a set.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-31 4:38 PM (#138760 - in reply to #138751)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
I played a high end Martin the other day. An HD-41 I think. Anyway, I was surprised to see tuners with exposed worm screws and gears.
Slip, most likily they were Weaverly. Those are fan-freaking-nice tuners. I have them on my D18VS and also have paid good money to upgrade them on a custom order currently in build. The tuners alone go for almost 2 bills. Don't be stereotyped that enclosed means better - it don't. Dave
alpep
Posted 2005-08-31 6:43 PM (#138761 - in reply to #138751)

there is some sort of problem with the schaller company. they are in restructuring or something. I heard that maybe the german govt is going to run them but I have no real information on it. So schallers have been difficult to get. Are pings cheaper sure but according to Kim Keller they have a lower failure rate than Schallers. Personally I love the schallers and prefer them.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-31 8:23 PM (#138762 - in reply to #138751)

My '02 Custom Legend 12 string came with Pings. I was disappointed because at that time the catalog said it came with Schallers. I called Kim at the time and he said they had recently started using Pings on everything...even the SMT's and CVT's. If I had had a choice (and I wish I did cause I ordered the guitar and it was built after I placed the order) I'd choose Schallers and pay the difference. John <>{
muzza
Posted 2005-08-31 8:27 PM (#138763 - in reply to #138751)

Originally posted by alpep:
Personally I love the schallers and prefer them.
But Alpep, would you change a brand new set of Pings on a brand new 2005 Collectors straight off?

After reading all the replies, (thanks everyone, by the way.) I've decided to accept that my dream guitar has Pings and see how long they last.

As long as they hold their tune, I'll be happy.
alpep
Posted 2005-08-31 10:37 PM (#138764 - in reply to #138751)

[[/qb]But Alpep, would you change a brand new set of Pings on a brand new 2005 Collectors straight off?

nope
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-09-01 8:19 AM (#138765 - in reply to #138751)

I have a 2005 Collectors with the Pings and find no functional difference between them and the Schallers on my 2001 Adamas ME 12-string. When it comes time to change them...then maybe I'll get Schallers. But the Pings are OK until then. I did change the gold tuning knobs for Stew-Mac pearlescent.

The open-gear Waverlys on the high-end Martins are considered PREMIUM, TOP-LINE tuners, better than Schallers. But the vintage "vibe" is the important thing, I don't know if I buy that they are really any better, myself.

Roger
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-09-02 12:20 PM (#138766 - in reply to #138751)

My S771 has Pings and is the most rock solid tuned guitar I own. I have been very happy with them.

In fact, I am not a Grover fan. They take a million turns to tune to pitch. I guess they are more precise but very slow to tune. Most people like the slowness.

I only read here last week the Pings were crap compared to Schallers and I was shocked that the 05 had them. But so far so good.

My friends Adamas reissue has the Schallers. They look a tad bigger and a tad heavier but other than that doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.

The Pings are probably made in China by Walmart right? That's the only thing that would bug me on a nice guitar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)