The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
News about Tony Calman

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2024-08-06 12:34 PM (#560424)
Subject: News about Tony Calman

Posted from: Angela Michele Calman on Facebook

"It is with a heavy heart that I share that my father Anthony Calman is suffering from advanced dementia/Alzheimer’s disease. In the last few years, he declined rapidly. I was able to move him and my mom out east with me just in time- as he became very sick in the last 8 months.  He is currently in a memory care home near us and unable to understand where he is or what is happening around him. But the people caring for him are kind and show him great compassion.  Years ago, I was able to get my friend Les Paul to sign one of his guitars for my father.  I flew across country with the precious cargo in the seat next to me and surprised him.  I’ve never seen him so happy.  Now I’m holding on to that guitar in remembrance of happier times.  At some point down the road, we will probably sell some of his guitar collection.  We just do not have room for the over 80 guitars he collected. I will let you all know when that happens as he talked about how much he enjoyed being a part of this community of guitar aficionados.  Thank you for your kindness to my father throughout the years.  I know your were part of the joy in his life."

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Randy22
Posted 2024-08-06 2:03 PM (#560425 - in reply to #560424)
Subject: Re: News about Tony Calman

My current reading project is working through the OFC archives (back to 2004 now) and have enjoyed Tony Calman's posts. Having recently lost a brother and a mother-in-law (the nice kind), I'm so sorry to hear this.
MWoody
Posted 2024-08-06 3:34 PM (#560426 - in reply to #560424)

Tony was a good friend over the OFC and I am sorry to hear this but glad that he is being treated kindly. A lot of knowledge and experiences are going with him.
Mike S.
Posted 2024-08-06 8:49 PM (#560428 - in reply to #560426)

Mr. Ovation,
I lost my youngest aunt and a kind man who drove me to church due to this devastating disease in 1992 before I moved to Ottawa. They were both around 55, and it was called Early Onset Dementia back in the day, (then later Alzheimer's Disease), as they both died within 6 months of being diagnosed. I know some of what Angela and her family are going through and my thoughts and prayers are with the Calmon family now.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Patch
Posted 2024-08-07 9:23 AM (#560429 - in reply to #560424)
Subject: RE: News about Tony Calman

I'm at a total loss...

When bad things happen to good people, the world can leave you feeling utterly helpless.

I can only pray for Tony and his family, and that's exactly what I did before trying to write this post. I'm certain I'm not the only one to do so.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2024-08-07 9:39 AM (#560430 - in reply to #560424)

Tony was one of those many OFC friends who got me back into Ovation guitars. On my first visit to San Diego right after I was lucky enough to get one of the OFC I Adamas guitars that Al had made, I spent a few hours with Tony comparing his many Ovations. He was a special host.
My mom passed in 2018 after many years of dimentia and Alzheimers. It's a tough way to go and maybe tougher on the relatives. Spend the last times going over the happy memories with family. Glen Campbell's music, especially some of his last recordings, helped me find some peace with the disease.
tpa
Posted 2024-08-07 4:35 PM (#560432 - in reply to #560424)

I am sorry to hear. Tough on the relatives as well. Best wishes.
Love O Fair
Posted 2024-08-07 6:50 PM (#560435 - in reply to #560424)

Sad to know.. and I will join Randy in searching the archives to read up on posts from Tony since I came along here much later than he did and surely missed out on much of the pleasure he brought to the OFC.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2024-08-07 10:14 PM (#560438 - in reply to #560424)

so sorry to hear this. tony was a huge part of the o.f.c. i wish you and everybody involved the best in these times.
i also had my mother go through this for 8 years and it takes a lot out of everybody connected to them.
hearing that when you gave your dad that guitar and he had such a great reaction to it are some of the best memories
that you have to hang onto.
i don't what it is but during my 8 years of caring for her when once a week a volunteer accordion player would come in
and play for the residents and once the music started she would transfer herself into a complete and happy new carefree world.
there is something about music that changes dementia and alzheimer's patients . i am sure tony will always have the music in him.
best wishes
Love O Fair
Posted 2024-08-08 8:16 PM (#560442 - in reply to #560424)

@GWB - >>>there is something about music that changes dementia and alzheimer's patients .<<<

There was a documentary made on this topic a few years back. It is titled "Alive Inside" and is well worth looking up to view (Netflix, YouTube, etc.). The results shown were nothing short of astounding and the stories are quite heartwarming. Our own Glen Campbell was also an excellent example of how that buried switch can be flipped on and off.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2024-08-09 8:22 AM (#560443 - in reply to #560424)

I'm very sorry to hear this. I have a friend with Alzheimer’s and his wife kindly allows me to sit with him sometimes. Tony was fun to have on the board, and I really remember how proud he was of Angela and her accomplishments.
Also, this makes me think about "things I have too many of".

Edited by Captain Lovehandles 2024-08-09 8:23 AM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2024-08-09 9:57 AM (#560444 - in reply to #560424)

My mom used to enjoy the music programs at the memory care center. She had a friend who would coax her into playing the piano and much of it came back to her for a few years.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2024-08-12 11:06 AM (#560447 - in reply to #560424)

Sorry to hear about Tony. My mother is in the same circumstances.
Very hard.
Standingovation
Posted 2024-08-13 5:06 PM (#560448 - in reply to #560424)

Tony was one of the earliest OFC members that I met in person, just a few years after the first tranche of Usual Suspects. Maybe 1998 or so. Truly a unique blend of compassion, humor and generosity. We met on several occasions, exchanged numerous guitars and continued to email or post on the site for probably almost two decades until so many of us inevitably drifted in different directions. He always remained high on my "Hey, I wonder what ever happened to ..." list.

I hope that Tony finds peace in whatever his next stop may be, and I probably speak for many of the OFC Old Guard is saying that we are all just a bit better off having crossed paths with him.
alpep
Posted 2024-08-30 4:10 PM (#560467 - in reply to #560424)

I knew this news early this year but I was not able to tell the membership...

Tony was a loyal good friend and extremely generous to me. To say this news has gutted me is an understatement.

yes he had his quirks and a phone call was always an hour...but what an interesting man.

I hope his care is great and he does not suffer.
titti
Posted 2024-09-15 12:39 PM (#560485 - in reply to #560424)
Subject: RE: News about Tony Calman

Angela,I'm from Italy, in the early days, many years ago, when I was just enrolled in the OFC, I interacted with Tony, receiving precious advice, best wishes for your father . Tiziano (from Venice)

Edited by titti 2024-09-15 12:41 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)