The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation pickup/preamp replacement

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

12BarBlues
Posted 2010-06-09 1:37 PM (#370163)
Subject: Ovation pickup/preamp replacement

I have a 1996 Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, CC257. I love this guitar and its sound. My wife bought it for me the first Christmas we were married. I am in the process of buying a replacement pickup as the one in the guitar has a few dead-sounding strings. However, I would also be interested in replacing the preamp with a newer one which has the integrated tuner, etc. Possibly, the Op-Pro. It currently has the old OP-24.

My question is: To replace the preamp to the Op-Pro, I know a mod would have to be made to the hole in the guitar body to accomodate the Op-Pro. Does anyone know if the location of the Op-24 is in the same area and contour as the Op-Pro? Is this a feasible option and has anyone else done this? I know upgrading to a newer guitar would be ideal, but I love this guitar. I don't want to ruin it by making the Op-Pro look "Sunday built" in the Celebrity.

Finally, I'm looking to possibly buy a new Ovation soon. I was looking at the Balladeer. I would like the Legend or Elite, but don't have the $$. Can I get your opinions on the pros/cons of the different Balladeer models? I need your expert advice.

Thanks,
Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2010-06-09 4:04 PM (#370164 - in reply to #370163)
Subject: Re: Ovation pickup/preamp replacement

12Bar, welcome aboard.

IMO, just leave the preamp the way it is. Some here have done the conversion, but it is major surgery. There may be one with a tuner that is the same footprint as you have now, dunno. I would go that route if at all possible, or just buy a cheap clip on tuner or use a floor pedal tuner if you are performing.

As to which guitar to get, are you looking at new or used guitars?
Auriemma
Posted 2010-06-09 4:21 PM (#370165 - in reply to #370163)

I have a 1994 CC257, not a bad Celeb. I agree with FlySig, leave it alone. The OP-24 plus is a good preamp and works well with that guitar.

Modding the bowl for a OP-Pro will be fatal if not done exactly right. You are not just cutting in a kidney shaped hole, you have to put it in the exact location so that the can shape matches the contour of the bowl at the waist. No easy task.

You can find Legends, Elites, Balladeers all over... Craigslist, Ebay, and even here in the classified section. I'm told the folks that sell here have good prices and excellect guitars. :)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-06-09 5:14 PM (#370166 - in reply to #370163)

Welcome Blues... Replace the undersaddle piezo with an Artec Piezo *
I cannot remember if it takes a PP607 or a PP617.
But the Artec will plug right into an OP11, OP20, OP30... And they are cheap and effective.
You'd have to look in the back of an OP24. If the Pickup just plugs-in with a 3.5mm thingy it should work.
(Please excuse the technical jargon)

Anyway... By the time you buy a preamp with a tuner you could have bought another guitar (sometimes).
I think that an Optima or an OP-24+C will fit into the hole of an OP24.
But both are rare...

I would just slide another pickup under the saddle and keep your CC257 intact.

*[or you could contact Ovation and try to get the proper pickup]
12BarBlues
Posted 2010-06-09 11:07 PM (#370167 - in reply to #370163)

Thanks for the input. I ordered a replacement pickup for my Celebrity today, from Ovation. I think I'll leave it alone, and start looking to get an upgraded Ovation. I've been looking at a new Balladeer, but I'm open to other ideas, especially if I can get a decent price on a used guitar in great shape. I just can't justify spending $1000-$2000 on another guitar right now. I love the sound of these Ovations. I want to get an American made one, and not one from Asia.

Thanks again
twistedlim
Posted 2010-06-10 8:22 AM (#370168 - in reply to #370163)

Originally posted by 12BarBlues:
Thanks for the input. I ordered a replacement pickup for my Celebrity today, from Ovation. I think I'll leave it alone, and start looking to get an upgraded Ovation. I've been looking at a new Balladeer, but I'm open to other ideas, especially if I can get a decent price on a used guitar in great shape. I just can't justify spending $1000-$2000 on another guitar right now. I love the sound of these Ovations. I want to get an American made one, and not one from Asia.

Thanks again
If you can get this one, you will be very happy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140415058029&ssP...
twistedlim
Posted 2010-06-10 8:37 AM (#370169 - in reply to #370163)

Or this one. Brad's is remarkable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Ovation-GC178LX-Elite-Hard-Shell-Case-/320...
FlySig
Posted 2010-06-10 10:02 AM (#370170 - in reply to #370163)

Or this one is still available .
bburg
Posted 2010-06-10 11:59 AM (#370171 - in reply to #370163)

Hi Dave,
I've upgrated all my oldies with the new OP-Pro-Series Preamps but no one with an OP-24 before. You can see my 1615 on the ning-page. But I remember bvince did one, please search in the topics last year, may be Sep. to Dec.
If you only have dead stings, the OP-24 works well, your piezo pickup have to be replaced. Is it a thinline? Try the MS to get a new one and leave the OP-24 in your guitar, they are working fine. I won't replace one in my guitars that is still working well to an OP-Pro.

Bernie
PEZ
Posted 2010-06-12 2:39 AM (#370172 - in reply to #370163)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Welcome Blues... Replace the undersaddle piezo with an Artec Piezo *
I cannot remember if it takes a PP607 or a PP617.
But the Artec will plug right into an OP11, OP20, OP30... And they are cheap and effective.
You'd have to look in the back of an OP24. If the Pickup just plugs-in with a 3.5mm thingy it should work.
(Please excuse the technical jargon)

Anyway... By the time you buy a preamp with a tuner you could have bought another guitar (sometimes).
I think that an Optima or an OP-24+C will fit into the hole of an OP24.
But both are rare...

I would just slide another pickup under the saddle and keep your CC257 intact.

*[or you could contact Ovation and try to get the proper pickup]
Op24+c and Optima will both fit.
12BarBlues
Posted 2010-06-14 10:27 PM (#370173 - in reply to #370163)

I got the pickup from Ovation today, and installed it. It physically looks a little different, but the size is the same. I installed it, plugged it in, and couldn't stop playing. Not only did the "dead" string come alive again, but the whole guitar seemed to come alive. This thing sounds pristine once again. I know there are a lot of negatives about the Celebrity Deluxe models (made in Asia) compared to the higher end American, but I think I got lucky, because this thing sounds awesome. I won't be changing the preamps. I didn't realize the pickups can wear out.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper again. Can't wait to gig out with it again.

Thanks again for all your info.

Dave
rusty999
Posted 2016-03-11 9:54 AM (#522835 - in reply to #370163)
Subject: RE: Ovation pickup/preamp replacement

Would any of you guys who have replaced pickups on the ovation , be able to give me some info on how to remove the old pre-amp from a Ovation 1619. Its a stereo type with two mini inputs but I just want to replace the pickup itself and theres some dead strings . Its so tight in there and I would not be able to fit the mini jack back into the pre -amp so its a case of it having to come out to enable me to plug in the mini jack.. The control on the outside is just one stacked knob with tone and volume.
Any help appreciated and thanks to all who responded on the other post
Cheers
Rusty
Cavalier
Posted 2016-03-11 10:01 AM (#522836 - in reply to #370163)

Just take off the knobs and remove the nut on the shaft.
rusty999
Posted 2016-03-11 10:44 AM (#522837 - in reply to #522836)

Cavalier - 2016-03-11 10:01 AM

Just take off the knobs and remove the nut on the shaft.

Thanks --When u say take off the knob--should it simply pull off ? I did try that but it didnt move
Cavalier
Posted 2016-03-11 12:04 PM (#522839 - in reply to #370163)

Look on the sides for a set screw, might be a hex nut or a flat head. If it is a stereo preamp plugging a mono pickup into one side/ input should still work, you just won't use both channels of the preamp.
rusty999
Posted 2016-03-11 2:19 PM (#522841 - in reply to #522839)

Many Thanks for your help Cavalier
I will try that now
Rusty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)