The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
general guitar question?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Rasmuth
Posted 2005-08-05 1:27 PM (#141449)
Subject: general guitar question?

this isn't Ovation related but I know there's alot of knowledge here...

Don't think I'm idiotic for this question either...I pulled out my Epiphone LP last night to record and the intonation was quite a bit off and I struggled to keep it in tune (Never had these issues before)

could it simply be because the strings are old? they are at least 7 months old (though I play sporadically) switching off between all my guitars...though I mostly play the Ovation.

Would old strings affect the intonation dramatically?

thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2005-08-05 1:34 PM (#141450 - in reply to #141449)
Subject: Re: general guitar question?

Even if you don't play for seven months the strings corrode on their own. So add to that the sweat of daily playing ... Your strings are dead!

I've heard of people boiling their strings to rejuvinate them, but I think that's an urban legend. Much better to get some new strings and see what happens. Do a search and see what people recommend, I've had good luck with dean markley tlts. Others hear swear by daddario exps.

PS The only strings I've had that last more than 4 months are classical nylon strings.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-08-05 1:40 PM (#141451 - in reply to #141449)

Some of the strings supposedly last longer. I think I like the sound of the D'Addario EXPs better that the Martin SPs?, but it may just be that I like the sound of the guitars they are on. It's hard to compare when you change a set of old strings with a different brand. I have an order in for 10 sets of the Adamas 1818s that were the topic of another thread. I'm sure I'll like those because they were 99c per set.
Rasmuth
Posted 2005-08-05 1:42 PM (#141452 - in reply to #141449)

I've got some new strings...I'll put a new set on...

I guess I was just unaware that old strings could affect intonation so dramatically.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-08-05 4:23 PM (#141453 - in reply to #141449)

Originally posted by an4340:
The only strings I've had that last more than 4 months are classical nylon strings.
You don't play it enough.... Send it to me imediately!!
an4340
Posted 2005-08-05 8:59 PM (#141454 - in reply to #141449)

I've found that nylon strings last longer than steel strings. But that may be that's how my sweat interacts with strings. For me steel corrodes ALOT faster. Actually, I'm going to start playing it more, I'm going to get some lessons with a brazilian jazz guy. The 1624's going to stay with me a little longer.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-06 1:14 AM (#141455 - in reply to #141449)

This may not be good advice, but it has worked on me ... a lot! I am aware that strings oxidize and corrode on their own, even if the guitar is rarely played. When I happen to play one of my guitars that hasn't seen any action in a while, obviously, it sounds awful. Using a soft clean cloth, I will treat the strings with WD40 to lubricate, loosen or remove the rusted or corroded parts of the strings. Sometimes, I will have great success and the guitar will come alive again! On those times, when I get the same dull sounding results, it's time for me to replace them strings ... :rolleyes:
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-06 2:51 AM (#141456 - in reply to #141449)

When I'm done playing, I wipe down all the strings with a dry cloth and then carefully remove them. I pack them in a sandwich sized tupperware container (how ironic) and keep them in the refrigerator. Then when I want to play, I just reverse the process and re-install the strings. Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes for them to reach room temperature before they stay in tune. I've almost got my wife talked into letting me remove all the shelves from the 'frig so that I can just put the entire guitar in there without having to go through the hastle of always removing and reinstalling the strings. Dave
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-08-06 6:21 AM (#141457 - in reply to #141449)

I do the same thing, but I've found that keeping my AC at about 40 degrees means I don't have to wait to play. If room temp is fridge temp, you're good t'go.

Also, mayonaise is a great string conditioner.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-08-06 7:12 AM (#141458 - in reply to #141449)

I use GHS Fast-Fret after I play. It cleans the strings and conditions the fingerboard. Works good for me.

Comes with it's own applicator, and cloth. Well worth the $5-6. ;)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-06 7:17 AM (#141459 - in reply to #141449)

Going back to the original question...I can't imagine how dead strings in and of themselves would effect the intonation THAT much. Now if the old strings are still STRETCHING because they hadn't been "played in"....then I could see it.

Roger
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-06 7:27 AM (#141460 - in reply to #141449)

I don't know all the physics involved but I do know that when I start having trouble tuning my guitar it's time to change the strings. Dave
Stephen P
Posted 2005-08-06 9:18 AM (#141461 - in reply to #141449)

Maybe they do stretch just a tiny bit?

Same thing happens to me when I don't change my strings every 6 months (but the affects aren't as bad as rasmuth's problem).
Joyful Noise
Posted 2005-08-06 9:44 AM (#141462 - in reply to #141449)

Intonation problems of old strings are especially noticable on electric guitars for some reason. And old or even just dirty strings can affect intonation dramatically. Proper string vibration relies on a consistant cross-sectional mass across the entire lenth of the string for the primary and all of the harmonic frequencies to coexist peacefully.

When strings get old they corrode and become dirty and the cross-sectional mass is not consistent across the length of the string. This dampens alot of harmonics and changes the primary vibration frequency as well. When you fret a string further up the neck, say at the 12th fret, you are bypassing alot of the area of inconsistant mass and the string's primary frequency will change which leads to the intonation problem.

Ignimbyte is right on the money in his experience. When he cleans the strings, sometimes they come alive and when they don't its because even when the corrosion and dirt is removed there has been enough of the string corroded away for the cross-sectional mass to be inconsistent.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-06 9:50 AM (#141463 - in reply to #141449)

Hi Rick (aka Joyful Noise)

I'm glad that I'm not alone on this one :)

Peace!
Gil
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)