The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovations and cracks

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Tony PD
Posted 2007-02-06 10:40 PM (#116590)
Subject: Ovations and cracks

Are Ovations more prone to soundboard cracks than comparable all wood dreadnaught guitars? I've heard of two schools of thought on this:

Theory 1 - Ovations are more prone to cracks because the wood top and non-wood bowl expand and contract at different rates.

Theory 2 - Ovations are less prone to cracks because the roundback bowl is actually more forgiving on the top than an all wood guitar.

Which is true?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-06 10:52 PM (#116591 - in reply to #116590)
Subject: Re: Ovations and cracks

My own personal theory -

Back in the 70's to 90's Ovation used to use a very thick clearcoat. Very beautiful, but very prone to cracks if the wood under it is trying to contract or expand due to temp/humid changes.

I think all that is behind us and the modern guitars are no more or less prone to finish cracks than other brands of guitars. One thing you don't have to worry about with ovations is all kinds of problems with top/side/back seperation, bracing problems, kerfing issues due to dryness. Thanks to the plastic back.

Dave
cliff
Posted 2007-02-06 11:17 PM (#116592 - in reply to #116590)

I agree w/Wit.
Tommy M.
Posted 2007-02-06 11:18 PM (#116593 - in reply to #116590)

Theory 2 from my experience.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-02-07 6:27 AM (#116594 - in reply to #116590)

I still believe that many of the cracks in Ovation finishes are due to impact, and that relates to the issues above. I've had guitars with new finishes from the factory get cracked on the way from Connecticut to Nebraska. But that wouldn't be the only reason.

I played Guild guitars exclusively before switching to Ovations in the early nineties, and still love Guild guitars. But getting one more than a few years old without finish crazing is not easy.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-02-07 7:05 AM (#116595 - in reply to #116590)

You learn things when you take the Factory Tour.(If you listen and don't let your mind wander).

In explaining all the advantages of the new manufactering methods, there was something explained about the application of the top to the rim. In the old process the top was under stress...particularly along the bottom. The stress was great enough that cracks would form from the bottom-up. I had a late 80's Custom Elite like this...several inch-long cracks along the bottom as well as a crack up to the bridge.
This has been eliminated with the new process they use. Back in the day they would say it was caused by impact, but they knew...and now admit...it was a design problem.
Similarly, the inch long finish cracks on either side of the bridge were caused by the bridge being glued to the FINISH rather than the bare wood. They've solved this problem with a little CNC process.

Those guys are always working to improve things and, like Dave said, it looks like the cracking problems are all behind us...DON'T knock on wood.

John <>{

PS- I think the crazing on Guilds and others are part of the aging of the Nitrocellulose Lacquer. Why they insist on using that instead of the newer finishes is beyond me.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-02-07 7:10 AM (#116596 - in reply to #116590)

One thing you don't have to worry about with ovations is all kinds of problems with top/side/back seperation, bracing problems, kerfing issues due to dryness. Thanks to the plastic back.
Isn't this the same plastic back that you say Ovation should move away from?
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-07 7:21 AM (#116597 - in reply to #116590)

Yes.

It's a delicate balance. Would (excuse the pun) you give up the plastic back for a guitar that sounds better, but needs a lot moe TLC and is more prone to environmental effects? The solution of course is to have a few of each. Different tools for diferent jobs.

My old comment about Ovation dumping the plastic back and building a wooden box guitar was actually prompted by something else. I was not talking negatively about the plastic backs, but rather I was noting how freaking good the craftsmen at Ovation are. Really amazing talents. And wouldn't it be interesting to see what they could come up with if that was applied to a wooden box guitar.

Dave
Tony PD
Posted 2007-02-07 7:39 AM (#116598 - in reply to #116590)

Actually, here's why I started thinking about this (besides the cold weather). I was in Sam Ash in Manhattan a couple of days ago. On the bottom row they had a deeply discounted S771. It was deeply discounted because it had a HUGE crack in it. Not just a finish crack, but a through and through, starting at the bridge. It was kind of embarrassing. I didn't ask what happened to it. I didn't want to get some wise-ass "Ovations are crap" answer from the sales guy. This is the same Sam Ash that a few years back once displayed an Adamas with a missing epaulet (just the glue where the epaulet once was), so I'm not sure they view Ovations too highly there to begin with. But it just made me wonder if this sort of thing ever happens to other guitars.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-07 7:47 AM (#116599 - in reply to #116590)

I bet the guitar in Sam Ash was dropped right on the end. S771's really should not crack in the traditional Ovation way. And certainly not through the wood. Where is the Kaman rep who is suppose to be touring all his stores and make sure the guitars are nicely displayed, dusted, tuned with new strings, etc ???

Dave
Beal
Posted 2007-02-07 8:05 AM (#116600 - in reply to #116590)

They tour stores?
Tupperware
Posted 2007-02-07 9:01 AM (#116601 - in reply to #116590)

Oh jesus, silly assumption on my part. The 7-UP rep tours the AM/PM shops to make sure his product is properly displayed and maximize sales. I just assumed a guitar sales rep would have similar motivations. Shame on me. Dave
Goober
Posted 2007-02-07 9:29 AM (#116602 - in reply to #116590)

I had a wife crack on me one time, but not an Ovation. Temp control, baby!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)