The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Heart & Rainsong

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-18 9:42 AM (#143757)
Subject: Heart & Rainsong

Heart was in town this weekend. I didn't see them, but in the paper today was a big picture of Ann Wilson playing a Rainsong.

Damn...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
John B
Posted 2005-07-18 9:58 AM (#143758 - in reply to #143757)
Subject: Re: Heart & Rainsong

I have their "Live From Seattle" DVD that was recorded a couple of years ago and they both played Martins on the acoustic stuff. The only exception was on "Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters" when Nancy was playing a blue Baladeer 12 string which I believe belongs to Ann. By the way, I would highly recommend the DVD for any Heart fan.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-18 11:32 AM (#143759 - in reply to #143757)

Ann played a Rainsong for the acoustic songs on tour last year. Nancy used her Takamine. No Ovations anywhere to be seen.

Roger
Beal
Posted 2005-07-18 12:30 PM (#143760 - in reply to #143757)

click
BrianT
Posted 2005-07-18 3:58 PM (#143761 - in reply to #143757)

You know, this is a great time to be a guitar player and a lousy time to be a guitar manufacturer. So many great guitars out there, what's a musician to do? It seems like all the guitar makers are busy knocking the snot out of each other, when in truth most of the major guitar producers are making some pretty decent products.

Kind of like the auto or electronics industies. And Nancy Wilson can play whatever she wants and I am sure it will sound great. I heard on another forum that Neil Young has been seen playing a Taylor, I bet the folks in Nazareth PA are fuming.
jyam4
Posted 2005-07-19 3:29 PM (#143762 - in reply to #143757)

Rainsong is getting alot of press lately about being made of graphite. Rainsong and CA are being touted as "all-environment" guitars. Everyone has pretty much forgotten that Ovation pioneered the technology (present company excluded, of course).
Joe
alpep
Posted 2005-07-19 4:56 PM (#143763 - in reply to #143757)

well I guess it is where you put your marketing perspective.
the wilson sisters also endorse daisy rock guitars and they are crap
LeStrange1
Posted 2005-07-22 5:46 AM (#143764 - in reply to #143757)

Nancy played a 12 String Ovation on Leno last year for Dog and Butterfly. I believe she's also using one on the score for Cameron Crowes "Elizabethtown."
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-22 7:29 AM (#143765 - in reply to #143757)

If you go to Heart's website, there is a picture (in the Gallery section, I forget where exactly)of Nancy's musical work room, with all the guitars she uses lined up in a row on stands. In that row are a light-colored (white?) Ovation Legend or Custom Legend 12-string and a natural Elite 6-string. And her Takamine, Martin, Telecaster and Les Paul.

The Ovation 12-string was also used by Nancy for a couple of songs on the "Starlicks" video where she shows how to play some of their songs. Her Takamine was used for the rest.

Interestingly, Rainsong makes a number of guitars with wood sides and back. Is that any more "environmentally friendly" than Ovation???

Ann and Nancy DID endorse Daisy Rock guitars last year.....haven't seen that ad in the last 8 to 9 months or so. I thought that was interesting in that they have NEVER used them on stage....bearing out the truth of Al's comment. I believe the endorsement was to help promote guitar playing to young girls and to help in raising money for breast cancer research(also in the ad).

There is also a picture on their website of Nancy in the studio last year posing with a Daisy Rock (but not playing it).

Roger
alpep
Posted 2005-07-22 7:50 AM (#143766 - in reply to #143757)

if you buy the daisy rock daisy or heart shaped guitar you might as well give a yound girl an explorer or firebird to play
leftovertion
Posted 2005-07-23 3:24 PM (#143767 - in reply to #143757)

I've been intrigued with the CA guitars, but not so much the RainSong - don't ask me why, since there may not be much difference.

Imagine my shock when we had David Wilcox here last month to do a concert (which was great, as always, BTW); I was waiting for him to pull a beautiful Olson out of his case - out comes a RainSong!!!

When I asked where the Olson was, he said on 'some trips out' he leaves the Olsons at home, which I interpreted to mean when he has to fly...let them destroy an $1800 Rainsong instead of a $5,000-7,500 Olson!

As I said, the concert was great, his sound was great, and no one except us guitar nerds cared what kind of guitar he was playing...
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-24 8:15 PM (#143768 - in reply to #143757)

I've played Rainsongs at Elderly on some of my trips there....they do have an "interesting" sound, with some similarities to the sound of an Adamas. But I think back to one of our members telling last year about his Rainsong warping in the back of his car on a hot day....and finding it could NOT be repaired!!!!

Roger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)