The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I was given an ovation 1119-4, I'm new here too!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

JohnKline
Posted 2005-07-14 9:15 PM (#144036)
Subject: I was given an ovation 1119-4, I'm new here too!

Hello all, just want to say hi, I'm new here. I picked up playing guitar about 9 months ago. I was persuaded from an Esteban commercial :) .Figured at 33, with two little ones, that would be a perfect time to learn the guitar, haha.
Anyway, my father in-law gave me this Ovation custom legend 1119-4. He still had the reciept when he bought it in 1975. I think he paid 400-500 dollars back then. I only had to have the action adjusted, and cleaned.
So the Esteban guitar is shelved, I thought it was a nice guitar, hey it got me into playing. I read some stuff about this ovation, how nice of an instrument did I get? I was curious about what street price it would bring? I have no intention on selling since this is a sentimental family gift, just curious about the guitar I was given.
Thanks for reading,

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-14 9:40 PM (#144037 - in reply to #144036)
Subject: Re: I was given an ovation 1119-4, I'm new here too!

There are a bunch of guy's who can give you info on your guitar in here. And I will also mention there is a buy & sell page here as well. If you ever decide to let this guitar go it might be worth a few weeks to you to advertise it here for free and see what happens. As for keeping it and playing it, Great! You have a good guitar and as long as you have the drive to stay with it.... you will learn.
There are some in here who earn a living as musicians, and even some who earn a good living doing it! But there are also many of us, like yourself, who are in various stages of "Official Ameture Musical Status". So I would suggest you find someone locally who plays and can get you started, don't dump a ton of money on lessons just take them when your ready to progess and enjoy! You already have a great classic guitar. And you will find it will grow on you. You will get comments on it's design (good & bad) from other musicians. You just let yourself be the judge about what it sounds like and "Welcome to the web Site". If you ever have troubles with the guitar there's lots of help to get it back up and running right here.

I am not sure about the value but I can tell ya it has not lost a dime in value since new if the condition is very good. And oohhhhh yeah... Does your "Father in Law" want any more "Son in Laws" ??? That's a real nice gift Dude.

Randy
Joe Camel
Posted 2005-07-14 11:44 PM (#144038 - in reply to #144036)

hey Randy...how do you know when you need to move on to a new teacher?...I've spent a few months with my current teacher (just started lessons April) and I'm through Guitar Class Method Vol 1 and the studio vol 1...can't quite seem to slide into the same groove with my current teacher...trying stuff on my own and wanting to learn more...also wanting to try electric too...this is the 6th musical instrument I have undertaken...piano was first (16 years and a summer at Interlochen Mich)...thanks for the help.
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-15 7:07 AM (#144039 - in reply to #144036)

Joe we all learn at different rates, I was learning chords and picking at an almost geometric rate when I was 16! I never had a "lesson" I was lucky enough back then to be in the company of several very good musicians who would help me by showing me slowed down versions of what they were doing. I did not really learn what the chords I was playing until later? I could play Skynard, Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. like nobodies business but If you asked me to play an A minor? I was confused. If I had the money for a good teacher back then it would have been money very well spent! I could ask to learn a new concept like finger picking Blackbird and by the end of the week I would have it down.

I guess what I mean about taking a lesson when your ready is....If your teacher shows you a minor lead scale or two or ?? Then you should only need to return for another lesson after you have this concept "ingrained" in your mind and your fingers have developed the "muscle memory" necessary to perform this new task.
I never understood why anyone would schedule classes for a musical student basssed upon the days of the week? This is great for building a steady income for the teacher but most students learn at different rates. If you took me as an example of a student "Now Verses Then" Then learning Blackbird would take me much longer to learn now. I am older to begin with and I also have a lot of everyday "Life" things that get in the way of practice. So a teacher who wanted to see me each week would be a waste of my money. More like once a month??? This same scenerio would have worked out quite well when I was young! Perhaps two lessons a week back then?
So all I mean is just because you are willing to learn.... don't think that paying someone $40 an hour, per lesson, for weeks on end is going to make you a musician. Pay the $40 bucks and ask the teacher to give you as much as you think you can remember to learn and when you have that mastered....... go back and spend another $40 wisely. Now this information is more for John than you Joe, You are already a studied musician and you have a good idea of what your capable of. I hate to see a new student who wants to learn so badly being "used" by a teacher who suggests perhaps two lessons a week? At this level of learning the student does not even know what the strings feel like using a pick! I say show him or her a few basic chords and tell them to come back just as soon as they have learned to play them and change between them with ease. Only then would another lesson be of value to them. And as they progress it would be nice to be able to schedule lessons bassed purely upon the students ability to learn.

Randy
Beal
Posted 2005-07-15 7:33 AM (#144040 - in reply to #144036)

A great guitar, this Custom Legend acoustic. Don't have a pickup added, leave it as it is. If you want to plug in later get an additional guitar.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-15 7:48 AM (#144041 - in reply to #144036)

Welcome to the board!

I to am learning guitar, but I'm somewhat older than you. Been doing the lessons thing for about 4 months, started St. Patricks Day. My first teacher told me I was doing fine, but I felt like I could learn more faster than what he was teaching me, so I changed teachers 2 weeks ago (different venue), so I could progress a little faster. Will just have to wait and see if I learn any quicker. :D
Joe Camel
Posted 2005-07-15 10:08 AM (#144042 - in reply to #144036)

Randy...thanks for your advice...you are so correct about the "weekly" thing...I'm so pleased with your insight that I'm gonna sit down with a professional guitar musician and discuss this whole thing with her...I bet she would be more than willing to do just what you suggested...I have lots of respect for her ability and integrity...she doesn't really give lessons, however, she insists that it is a real pleasure to talk music with me, so, maybe...worth a try anyway...(still working on those position 1 chords building strength and curve to that left hand).

again...thanks
Designzilla
Posted 2005-07-15 10:26 AM (#144043 - in reply to #144036)

I used to play guitar with a friend who would smile and turn his back to me when he played cool stuff. It pissed me off, but I'd learn the licks after awhile. I learned almost as much from him as guys who actually showed me the parts.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-07-15 3:02 PM (#144044 - in reply to #144036)

John:
That is one great guitar. CWK is right. Don't alter it in any way. IMHO that guitar is one of the best sounding round soundhole Ovations ever made. Street/eBay value is probably the same as what it cost 30 years ago; however you will not find ANY guitar that will compare with it acoustically for under $1,000. You may want to consider having a good luthier look it over and adjust the truss rod and action. That guitar is a real keeper!
JohnKline
Posted 2005-07-16 2:00 AM (#144045 - in reply to #144036)

thanks for the kind words about this guitar! As I said I'm still a beginner but once the action was adjusted I'm shocked at how much easier barre chords are to hold down on this one versus the esteban beginner guitar I have. I'm looking forward to many practice days with this one, and I won't alter it, like someone said if I need an acoustic electric I'll just add to the collection.
Thanks all,

John
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-16 8:36 AM (#144046 - in reply to #144036)

Nice John, If you know a good guitarist your way ahead of the curve already! Don't forget to have fun and remember it is the first year that is most difficult, you have to decide now to stay with it no matter what you sound like in the beggining.
One day, if you want to or not, you'll find yourself in front of a bunch of people who are aplauding your efforts!
You have a real nice Guitar take my word for it "Keep It" you'll be happy you did someday when you are a better musician.

Good Luck! Have Fun! and feel free to ask questions here about your guitar.

Randy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)