The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
newbie question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Frets
Posted 2005-07-25 8:45 AM (#142920)
Subject: newbie question

I think I have become an Ovation member by default. I was at a flea market yesterday and came across an interesting guitar. Looked like an Ovation but had Matrix on the headstock. When I read inside the body, I figured there had to be some connection as it was manufactured by the Kaman corp - made in Connecticut.
Model 1637
Serial 005200
I bought it because it sounds awesome.
I have a friend who plays an old Applause with the aluminum neck. That's what first caught my eye. At first I thought it might be a knockoff but my quick research tells me it's not. Can you folks shed more light on what I have.
I used the model number faq but I'm not sure if it applies to my guitar.

Thanks
Frets
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-07-25 9:29 AM (#142921 - in reply to #142920)
Subject: Re: newbie question

Welcome to the club, defaulter or not. Yes, the Matrix is an early Ovation model.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-25 9:30 AM (#142922 - in reply to #142920)

Yours is older than mine! It is a cheaper version of the Ovation with a urethane neck, aluminum fretboard and laminated spruce top. Should still be made in USA, though. Played mine last night and was still amazed at how the deep bowl booms. Have you tried yours plugged in?
Frets
Posted 2005-07-25 12:25 PM (#142923 - in reply to #142920)

Yes I plugged it in immediately. Funny, I wasn't hoping for much and wouldn't have been surprised if the electronics didn't work given I paid $75 for the guitar and the hardshell case, but boy was I wrong. I have a lower end Larivee and a Washburn D10. I love both guitars. The Matrix is as sweet as either of them and even more resonant. Yes, it booms without losing it's tone.

He says it's been up in his attic and I think he had it strung with telephone cable. I'm going to re-string with 10 gauge. It's very playable down low but as I go up the neck, she's a little more feisty. I'd like to take her down a bit but I know the neck isn't going to change. The frets are in good shape so I'm going to assume light playing.

I spoke to a local guitar luthier who said there were a couple of things that could be looked at with these guitars.

Any hints?
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-25 12:33 PM (#142924 - in reply to #142920)

RE: "Any hints?"

Hand it to the Luthier and let him/her do a set up.

Congrats!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-07-25 3:53 PM (#142925 - in reply to #142920)

Any hints? Any hints???

If you bought that for $75, you should be giving US hints.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-07-25 4:04 PM (#142926 - in reply to #142920)

I agree with Captain on this one. In my case, I think you should provide us with hints, with regards to finding good bargain for Os. $75 is a bargain indeed. Congrats, and I would suggest taking it to a luthier for a complete set-up ... it might cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but it's definitely worth it! :)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-25 6:58 PM (#142927 - in reply to #142920)

I wouldn't go as light as 10s. You don't need it because it should play easy enough with 12s and get a lot more sound. The fretboard won't warp, so you shouldn't get any fret buzz from a crooked neck and if he hasn't played it, there should be lots of life in the frets. Mine has stayed at the factory setup since 1976 and still is one of the easiest guitars to play.
Frets
Posted 2005-07-26 7:44 AM (#142928 - in reply to #142920)

Hey, thanks for the encouragement. I will take the advice and stay with 12 gauge and get a set up done on it. That may be all it needs.

But, there's more to this crazy story than just unbelievable price.

I went into the shop last night and the tech wasn't in so I talked to the boss. He's a really knowledgable guy. I know all the guys there. All good eggs. He eyed the case (a brown hardshell ovation case which I assume didn't come with the Matrix originally) And says, "That's weird. A guy came in with a brown Ovation case that had a Matrix in it about a week or so ago. That has to be the same one! Chris (the tech) will know for sure as he looked at the guitar originally. I think the guy was trying to sell it then."

I know there are folks who just plain prefer wood guitars. I already have two fiberglass backed guitars and love the plugged in sounds. A Yamaha APXT, small traveller with a regular size neck. And an Epiphone Diablo, looks like the Fender Acoustonic?, shallow body and horns. I was just blown away at how good the Matrix sounded unplugged. It has a distinctive sound.

I can't wait to hear what Chris has to say after he sees it in the shop... again. Kind of like a haunting... LOL
Frets
Posted 2005-07-26 11:53 AM (#142929 - in reply to #142920)

Mystery solved. I was on the phone with Chris and he went to check on my Matrix and opened his by mistake. He bought the other one! That is too weird. Two brown Ovation cases and two Matrix's in the same store within a week of each other. He's gonna do a setup and see what that takes care of. If I need anything more he'll call me.

Frets
Frets
Posted 2005-07-27 10:13 AM (#142930 - in reply to #142920)

Hi all. Pics just came in from a summer festival we just did. This pic features my fiberglass backed Yamaha APXT traveler. Small but powerful. I hope to soon have a pic of my Matrix to put up here.

Uh yeah, our singer's pretty nice too...

www.diannecorbin.com

Frets
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)