The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Wondering about effects of truck shipping.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

dmkozak
Posted 2004-05-14 2:30 PM (#187724)
Subject: Wondering about effects of truck shipping.

I'm wondering what the effects of truck shipping are on an LX. I know that's how they end up at the dealers. John B seems to think that sitting on a UPS caused the pre-amp connection tape to let go. At least that's a simple fix.

My real question is if an LX were sent cross country by truck and then, due to a shipping error, immediately resent back across the country again, would there be any negative long-term effects? Would the day-night and inside-outside temp changes and the road shocks have a negative effective on the guitar's life and tone?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-05-14 2:41 PM (#187725 - in reply to #187724)
Subject: Re: Wondering about effects of truck shipping.

There was a somewhat lengthy thread about this about 6 months ago. Maybe do a Search?
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-14 2:49 PM (#187726 - in reply to #187724)

Fear not! Rejoice!

The hot steamy days, followed by cool nights will stress relieve all the glued fittings, and coupled with the constant vibration of top, due to the rumble of the truck, this will cause a graceful mellowing effect on the tone.

While this effect will not be like that of a guitar that is 30 years old, it will exactly the same as a guitar that has been shipped by truck for a few days. :)

Seriously, dont worry about it. Its nice to be concerned, but O does a good job of keeping it tight in there. The odds are greatly in favor of it being unscathed.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-14 2:57 PM (#187727 - in reply to #187724)

Some of the archive posts (to include mine) are horrific, better to read in daylight - not at night when you are alone. However, I don't believe the truck, distance, or temperature outside of the truck are the factors. The guitar can take pretty high or low temps...as long as it is gradual. The problem is taking a hot or cold case and opening it before it has been gradually brought to room temperature. Takes patience to not open the case right away to check out the new guitar. I know. Problem, IMHO, is how it is handled - thrown, kicked, dropped, other packages stacked on top, etc. Guess the longer the distance, greater opportunity for it to be loaded, unloaded, loaded, etc. Again, IMHO, damage is caused by a single worker is poorly trained, upset with his or her love life, or is upset with his or her supervisor or company; in addition, callousness of the shipping company can also be a factor - UPS places in its declarations that they do not recognize markings of fragile or this side up. Appears to me, they handle a guitar box the same as a box containing a water pump.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-14 4:24 PM (#187728 - in reply to #187724)

dmkozak,
Search the term "seasonal shipping". I started that thread. I am sorry to say.... that thread spread ripples of anxiety like a big rock in a little pond. I think it boils down to, once in a great while, bad things happen.
Like almost everything, it's a spin of the wheel. But the odds are greatly in our favor.
Brad
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-05-14 4:26 PM (#187729 - in reply to #187724)

I packed the guitar for shipment, and packing doesn't get much better. I am not worried about basic environmental effects as long as FedEx doesn't do anything to artificially enhance loosening anthing physically on the guitar.

FedEx switched labels so that Art's Genz Benz Shenandoah went to David, and David's LX went to the woods of Wisconsin.

Given that Art DOES live deep in the woods and his address is Black Bear Road, maybe the temperature is not the only thing to be concerned about. :eek: :eek:
dmkozak
Posted 2004-05-14 7:06 PM (#187730 - in reply to #187724)

I'm afraid this is all my fault. If I hadn't moved from Wisconsin to Arizona 30 years ago, I could have just driven to Art's place, given him his amp and picked up my LX.

Actually, my concern was getting a guitar that had been driven around the world and subject to short-term temperature changes. It turns out the truck to MSP didn't stop and the guitar was inside the whole time. Any temp changes would have been gradual and shouldn't have any long-term lasting effects. FedEx will be keeping the guitar in the warehouse over the weekend and flying it to PHX on Monday. So, Tuesday night, after letting it get used to room temp, I should be playing my new LX.

I guess the lesson is never to ship multiple packages with FedEx. Their personnel get confused with more than one package. Thankfully, Paul didn't ship 3 items or we might never have gotten this straightened out.
Nils
Posted 2004-05-14 8:48 PM (#187731 - in reply to #187724)

And I'm still waiting to get a settlement out of United Parcel Smashers for my Pacemaker. It's been six weeks ago today that the claim was filed, March 31st. We're back to the seller fighting with them now from his end. I've had 7 guitars shipped to me in the last few years & this is the first one to be damaged. About half of these were shipped during winter. I don't think the shipping temperature changes pose any real threat, it's the handling part you need to worry about.

/\/\/
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-14 9:45 PM (#187732 - in reply to #187724)

My 1858 12 String arriived via Fed Ex Ground at the Workplace last August. It was shipped from Grand Junction ,co. and arrived here in NC in about 4 to 5 Business days. It arrived without a Scratch. No dent or tears in the box and the Guitar was Perfect.
maybe Just Lucky, But I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the nightmares some of you have had to deal with.
xnoel
Posted 2004-05-15 8:57 AM (#187733 - in reply to #187724)

Hey Steve,
Can you post a picture of that 2 string? Is it easy to play?

Just kidding, couldn't resist.

noel
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-17 9:12 AM (#187734 - in reply to #187724)

Noel,
I've edited the post to read 12 string. by the way it is a 12 string not a 2 string.
Spellcheck??? I don't need no stinkin' spellcheck..I have Noel! :D :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)