The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
webstring.com --- option questions?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

TheEliteist
Posted 2003-09-24 11:03 AM (#198513)
Subject: webstring.com --- option questions?

I was looking at the web site "http://www.webstrings.com./" that I found from doing a search here at OFC (for which, I am very grateful) and it generated a couple of questions.

1. Flat wound strings on an acoustic. The benefits of flat wound string look like they might be advantageous, but the sound might suffer. Have you ever used them?

2. They had listed along with the X-light, light and medium strings, one called "bluegrass", that looked to be a combination of the lighter high strings, and the heavier low strings. Any thoughts on this "combo" string set?

3. May be an age old question, but what is the real difference between the 80/20 bronze and the phosphorous wound? Can you really tell much difference in the sound? Does one "last" longer than the other?

What a great site! The prices where right, to say the least. A person can afford to "experiment" with the different ones available for under $3.00 a set, which I might just do, but your opinions, I would fine interesting, if not very informative.
Thank You!

Live long and prosper!
Dale
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-24 12:03 PM (#198514 - in reply to #198513)
Subject: Re: webstring.com --- option questions?

The advantages with flatwounds are they cut down finger-noise & keep their tone for ages, however they sound very different to roundwound strings, with less sustain & much less brightness. They tend to be used mostly by jazz players and they're welcome to them. There was a variant of the rouundwound called "groundwound" where roundwound strings were ground down almost flat but I haven't seen these for years.

The "Bluegrass" gauges are intended to produce a bigger low end response while keeping the unwound strings comfortable for bending & lead lines.

For an explanation of the difference between bronze & phos-bronze take a look at this

http://www.daddariostrings.com/viewfullfaq.asp?alt=100000300
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-09-24 12:11 PM (#198515 - in reply to #198513)

I've been told that using flatwounds on my vintage Rickenbacker 12 are advantageous because the bridge is not compensated (there are only 6 saddles, not 12) and therefore the flatwounds keep intonation accurate between the octave strings. Any truth to this?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-09-24 1:15 PM (#198516 - in reply to #198513)

None whatsoever, the amount of saddle compensation is determined by string mass, string tension & action height, regardless of the wrap type. Using flatwounds on a Rick 12 would destroy it's signature sound.

There are only six saddles on ovation electric-acoutics and the intonation on the 12 string guitars is more than acceptable.
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-09-24 1:53 PM (#198517 - in reply to #198513)

Thanks PT for the quick and informed response. Guess I won't be ordering any Pyramids ... I'll stick with the compressed round wounds. I can definitely hear intonation issues, so I'll swap out a 12-string bridge for the 6 string bridge. Then again, maybe that's what gets the signature chimey sound? :D Funny though, I don't notice any intonation problems on my CL12.
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-09-24 2:41 PM (#198518 - in reply to #198513)

Thank you Paul, that did answer my questions!

Live long and phosphor!

Dale
Bailey
Posted 2003-09-25 2:18 AM (#198519 - in reply to #198513)

Just a note for history

Flatwounds were string manufacturers answer to the big band fear that somebody might hear the guitar and be driven to Elvis like gyrations.
cliff
Posted 2003-09-25 8:09 AM (#198520 - in reply to #198513)

Just a side note:

The newest issue of AcousticGuitar (arrived last night) has a seemingly interesting and informative article (haven't read it yet) on the history, science and mechanics of "steel string" construction. Even has some pics from the D'Addario factory.
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-09-25 7:05 PM (#198521 - in reply to #198513)

OK! That's it! I'm subscribing....
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-05-06 12:08 PM (#198522 - in reply to #198513)

Just got 6 sets from webstrings.com ($17 & change total). Orders over $15 ship for free. At this price I figured I couldn't go wrong...

Got 3 Lights (.12 - .53) and 3 Bluegrass (.12 - .56). OF COURSE, they arrived 24 hrs. too late, so I already have a new set of D'Addarios on. As soon as they wear out, on go the Bluegrass. Will post back with comments. I've seen mixed reviews on these guys, so I'm curious.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)