The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
PayPal help? Here is an email I got from them saying I have rec'd fraudulent funds.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

omegaman
Posted 2004-05-06 9:36 AM (#188393)
Subject: PayPal help? Here is an email I got from them saying I have rec'd fraudulent funds.

I hope this is okay to post here, but in the case that the below is true I'll need to know from somebody if I can use Canadian Royal Mounted Police or any suggestions as to how to proceed. Here is a note yesterday from Paypal reversing a $2,000.00 USD transaction I had with a Canadian fellow from Quebec buying a guitar on eBay from me. And yes, I did NOT ship it to a confirmed address. I do have two working phone numbers, the shipping address, and his name of course. In discussing it with him he claims to have no knowledge, but he was toying a bit with me the entire transaction in a few ways I should have paid attention to:

"It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of potentially
fraudulent funds. We have initiated an investigation into this event. In
the meantime, we have placed a pending reversal on the funds in question
until the investigation is complete. This pending reversal will show as a
deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are free to
continue transacting using your PayPal account."

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-05-06 9:41 AM (#188394 - in reply to #188393)
Subject: Re: PayPal help? Here is an email I got from them saying I have rec'd fraudulent funds.

BE WARY!!! There have been numerous email scams going around reference PayPal, eBay funds, etc. They may look EXACTLY like email from eBay/Pay Pal and so on, but they are frauds. All they are trying to do is get your credit card number. There was a show on one of those Magazine News shows awhile back. Try doing a search in on this urban legends/hoax website:

Current Netlore

It will help you out. I quicker way might be to call them.
omegaman
Posted 2004-05-06 9:52 AM (#188395 - in reply to #188393)
Subject: Re: PayPal help? Here is an email I got from them saying I have rec'd fraudulent funds.

My funds were reversed. I know what you are saying, but this is the real deal. I have submitted most everything I know. I have a feeling I'll need to go the police route because it was shipped to an unconfirmed address. Thanks!
stephent28
Posted 2004-05-06 10:03 AM (#188396 - in reply to #188393)

Unfortunately, you may be screwed.

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months back....only the amount was much less.

I shipped to an unconfirmed address and two months later I had the money reversed and my account charged.

I provided Paypal with not only the shipping confirmation and proof of delivery but ALSO WHERE THE GUY POSTED POSITIVE FEEDBACK!!!!

After two months of battle, Paypal basically told me that the credit card company had refused the evidence and my account was debited....since I had shipped to an unconfirmed address.....END OF STORY!

MORAL....I will NEVER AGAIN accept Paypal payments that does not ship to a confirmed address. If they do not have a confirmed address, the MO or CC is the only form I will accept.

Sorry....but I am pretty sure you are blindfolded and smoking your last cigarette on this one.

Stephen
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-05-06 10:39 AM (#188397 - in reply to #188393)

Go to the police. PayPal will not help you out. I was one of the early victims of the Indonesian credit card fraud ring, and it cost me a lot of money. Once PayPal has their money back, they will leave you twisting in the wind.
omegaman
Posted 2004-05-11 9:09 PM (#188398 - in reply to #188393)

Thank you all for your help. I will head to the police in the next few days. Bummer, man, bummer!
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-05-12 7:49 AM (#188399 - in reply to #188393)

Well, I was thinking of beginning to sell things on ebay and using paypal. I use it when I buy things on ebay and it works great.

confirmed address ? Would shipping to the confirmed address make all the difference? Is the confirmed address simply the address listed by the buyer on Paypal or is there more to it?
alpep
Posted 2004-05-12 8:45 AM (#188400 - in reply to #188393)

I get at least one e mail a week that says my pay pal account has been altered, attacked, hacked, etc

funny thing, I don't have a pay pal account.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-05-12 2:19 PM (#188401 - in reply to #188393)

When it's a confirmed address it states it on the email you get. WHen it's not a confirmed address is warns you in the email you get. Someone who doesn't have a confirmed address, based on everything they get when they sign up, in my opinion is up to something, unless they are of course in a country where they can't be confirmed, and that's not thier fault. They can't be afraid of fraud because they have chosen to use a credit card in the first place and opting out of the one thing that can protect them in both sales and purchases. I do a lot of biz on eBay and I rarely see a non-confirmed address on any of the transactions.
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-05-12 4:05 PM (#188402 - in reply to #188393)

Regarding the "confirmed" address with PayPal, it's an address that PayPal is able to confirm from either a credit card or bank account. I have bought many things at eBay with payment by PayPal and I have them shipped to my work address which is unconfirmd. I have tried many times to get PayPal to cinfirm my work address but they won't do it because it's not listed as the billing adress on a credit card or the address on a bank account. I've yet to have a seller to refuse to ship to my unconfirmed address; however my feedback is 100% perfect with 66 transactions. The bottom line with eBay/PayPal is to know who you are dealing with and scrutinize the feedback profiles. I also generally only deal with USA buyers and seller. I guess that's consistant with my owning only USA Ovations.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)