The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation 1669 Custom Legend For Sale, and It's a Beauty!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Patch
Posted 2013-02-06 4:08 PM (#464995)
Subject: Ovation 1669 Custom Legend For Sale, and It's a Beauty!!

These are rare, very rare. I can't find out much about them, but you can basically think of it as an early, cutaway Custom Legend. This one was built in 1985/86. (The Ovation site is a tad fuzzy on the details for some reason.) But it is in excellent condition for an instrument nearly 30 years old.

Other than some minor cracking in the neck binding and a tough-to-see crack in the rosette, the guitar is in great shape. It does have some pick scratching and very minor fretwear, but nothing out of the ordinary at all. It also has a slight bit of "bracing ripple" where you can feel a bit of waviness in the top. You have to be right up on it to tell though. You can't see any of this from 3 feet away.

It's a deep bowl, so the tone is superb. The neck is straight, and the action is impossibly low as only Ovations can manage without buzzing. You could easily add a shim or two to the bridge and it would still be comfy. (I like super low action myself, but I have a light pick attack.)

It has the stacked-knob pre-amp and puts out a strong signal that sounds Oh-So-Nice!

What else can I say. It's a heck of a guitar!

It comes with its hardshell case which is in average but usable condition. All buckles and latches work fine and it closes securely, But strangely, enough, the lining has started to separate from the top on the inside. The foam underneath is fine, but the lining is way loose. (See Picture.) It doesn't hurt a thing, but it looks funny.

Anyway, I'm looking for $845 shipped and insured in the U.S. If you are overseas, get with me for a quote.

You can find a few more pictures HERE.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2013-02-06 7:01 PM (#465000 - in reply to #464995)
Subject: Re: Ovation 1669 Custom Legend For Sale, and It's a Beauty!!

Patch, this is the first cutaway model of the CL.

If you look inside the bowl, you should see the second piece that was added when they cut the bowl. It was a short stint as they eventually built a mold to make cutaways.

I've never had the CL, but I've had 2 different Legends (1667). They were both AWESOME and I'd still have the black one had I not bought the Al DiMeola. I ended up putting an OP50 in it.

FWIW, these were some of the best sounding Legends i've ever owned. I have no idea why, but maybe it has something to do wth the pieced together bowl?
Patch
Posted 2013-02-07 6:27 AM (#465009 - in reply to #464995)

Great info Damon. I didn't know that about the cutaways and molds.

And BTW, this one is "Sold pending payment."

Thenks everyone!
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-02-07 8:46 AM (#465014 - in reply to #464995)

Another great thing about the OFC: the focus you all have on "keeping it in the family." I've never seen that anywhere else. Not even the Shelby Cobra club.
Mary S
Posted 2013-02-07 9:45 AM (#465015 - in reply to #464995)

Dont know how you can part with it. It's beautiful! I have an old 1677 that I upgraded that still gets equal time with my Adamas.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-02-07 10:19 AM (#465017 - in reply to #465014)

dwg preacher - 2013-02-07 7:46 AM

Another great thing about the OFC: the focus you all have on "keeping it in the family." I've never seen that anywhere else. Not even the Shelby Cobra club.

I would imagine that if you were in the Shelby Cobra club, you owned the only Cobra you were ever going to have in your life. There are lots of Ovations with a huge variety of models, so trading among the members still provides an opportunity to obtain a guitar that isn't exactly the same.
(Carswise, I've bought and sold Porsches from and to other members of the Porsche Club. To me, Porsches and Ovations are more analogous.)

Edited by Mark in Boise 2013-02-07 10:20 AM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2013-02-07 2:19 PM (#465020 - in reply to #464995)

Damon, funny you should mention that black Legend. I was the one who bought it from you and I sold it here through the shop. The guy who bought it never got around to playing it much so he brought it in yesterday. I've got it back! That op-50 is WONDERFUL!

I also have the same CL that Patch just sold, except in a natural finish. It too has the pieced in cutaway and you're right - the CL and your old black legend sound IDENTICAL unplugged. It took me a long time to get the CL. A guy brought it in on consignment a long time ago and I had found a buyer, but before the deal went through, the guy came back saying he had decided not to sell after all. Then several months later he brought it back and decided to consign it again. This time I had the cash on me and just bought it outright before he could change his mind again!

And I must say, Patch, if I were to ever sell MY CL, the price wouldn't be as low as what you had on this one. Whoever got it got a GREAT deal!
dnc4eva
Posted 2014-02-08 6:25 PM (#481963 - in reply to #464995)

I had one in sunburst.it was nice!
Damon67
Posted 2014-02-08 9:19 PM (#481968 - in reply to #464995)

FWIW, unplugged and plugged, I liked the sound and playability of that legend better than my AD CL. MWoody installed that OP50 for me and really it made it the ultimate gigging guitar. I was an idiot for getting rid of it.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2014-02-10 9:55 AM (#482012 - in reply to #464995)

I agree, Damon - except for the part about being an idiot.

I wonder why they made so few OP50's. In my opinion, they are/were the very best Ovation ever made.
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2014-02-14 11:04 AM (#482186 - in reply to #464995)

I had my 12 CL built as a Super Shallow Cutaway, kinda neat having the "First" one...well that I know of anyway.
One of these days I'm gonna have to get one of these little brothers for it
numbfingers
Posted 2014-02-14 11:32 PM (#482227 - in reply to #464995)

Does this model have a V or "soft V" neck shape?

Price is pretty good, considering that one like it sold for $7,390: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19226/lot/100/
Patch
Posted 2014-02-15 10:49 AM (#482234 - in reply to #464995)
Subject: RE: Ovation 1669 Custom Legend For Sale, and It's a Beauty!!

I should've sent it there. There must have been a gold bar inside it or something.

And FWIW, this is an old thread, and the guitar sold a long time ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)