The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
X Braced Balladeer Repair

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

ChuckSurette
Posted 2021-05-06 4:56 PM (#555524 - in reply to #555518)
Subject: RE: X Braced Balladeer Repair

DanSavage - 2021-05-05 10:50 AM

ChuckSurette - 2021-05-04 5:04 PM

Well I got the neck off and the new top on.  It's starting to look like a guitar again.

Balladeer new top

Nice job, Chuck. Thanks for the update.

Were you able to fix the dip in the waist area?

Thanks!

Yup, as mentioned earlier - I heated up the back and got rid of some of the dip. When I attached the top 2 clamps through the soundhole took care of what was left. The top went on with binding tape, then I wound an elastic band around the body - with the plywood support ring to act as a clamp. It seems to have worked out well.

I'm working on my binding channel now - it's a little different, as I usually reference off the side of the body. I'm hoping to cut the channel for purfling tomorrow. Also I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around the process for getting the finish, binding & neck installed. My current thinking is to install binding and tape off to paint the bowl. (?)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2021-05-06 6:52 PM (#555525 - in reply to #555524)

ChuckSurette - 2021-05-06 2:56 PM

Thanks!

Yup, as mentioned earlier - I heated up the back and got rid of some of the dip. When I attached the top 2 clamps through the soundhole took care of what was left. The top went on with binding tape, then I wound an elastic band around the body - with the plywood support ring to act as a clamp. It seems to have worked out well.

Kewl. Yes, when playing with the bowl in your hands, it seems like it's a lot stiffer than it actually is. Once the top is glued to the bowl, it recovers the rigidity of the monocoque structure it is. In reality, it's pretty plastic, pardon the pun.

I'm working on my binding channel now - it's a little different, as I usually reference off the side of the body. I'm hoping to cut the channel for purfling tomorrow. Also I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around the process for getting the finish, binding & neck installed. My current thinking is to install binding and tape off to paint the bowl. (?)

On all of the Ovations I've re-topped I used the Stewmac Binding Router Bit to cut purfling and binding channels because it has the bearing below the cutting edge. This rides on the side of the bowl immediately below the channels where the bowl is square to the top. I use difffernt size bearings depending on how deep the channel(s) needed to be cut.

Yes, I always install the purfling/binding, then clean it up with a scraper so it's flush with the side of the bowl and top, then mask and touch up the bowl. Traditionally, Ovation bindings are left as bare plastic with the finish on the top and bowl.

Edited by DanSavage 2021-05-06 6:53 PM
ChuckSurette
Posted 2021-05-13 11:18 AM (#555546 - in reply to #533677)

Retopped Balladeer

Almost home...

DanSavage
Posted 2021-05-14 5:22 PM (#555560 - in reply to #555546)
Subject: Re: X Braced Balladeer Repair

Looks good, Chuck.

What finish are you going to use?
ChuckSurette
Posted 2021-07-02 10:16 AM (#555814 - in reply to #533677)

Hey Dan,

Been busy with other projects, but strung up the Balladeer yesterday! Tone is great, very crisp/forward with good bass.

I used Tru-oil on this one.
ChuckSurette
Posted 2021-07-02 10:17 AM (#555815 - in reply to #533677)

I'll post up some pics soon. Still waiting on some solder for the jack & preamp wiring.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)