The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Neck Profile/Finish

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

CMP
Posted 2020-08-05 1:10 AM (#552664)
Subject: Neck Profile/Finish

Hey all!

Happy to be a newbie here. Great forum packed with great info. One thing was hoping you guys could school me on, as I look for a few Ovations, is the neck finish of a particular timeframe/year. I really prefer a gloss neck or at the very least... a smooth finish.

Quick backstory is I have a 1999 Collector Edition, and while I love it.... the neck is a satin mahogany. I find this a little... distracting? At least on this guitar anyway. I feel every little groove, ridge etc in the porous grain that is mahogany. I've seen in many other models of years past, they were gloss finished. Does anyone know what years to look for/avoid if I wanted a gloss neck.... or a smooth finished one anyway. I really gravitate towards the elite style as opposed to the center sound hole style. Have my eye on an Elite has a maple neck so that would be super tight and sleek I'm thinkin! Cool!!!

I've been reluctant to take steel wool or sandpaper to the back of my neck to smooth it out as I wouldn't want to remove anything thats there to protect it.... but I'm close!!

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you guys may be able to bestow

(IMG_3828.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3828.jpg (34KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2020-08-05 9:26 AM (#552666 - in reply to #552664)
Subject: Re: Neck Profile/Finish

Welcome. A 99 Collector was my first USA Ovation after the Matrix that I had for almost 30 years. One of the most beautiful guitars, to my eye. I sold it to a guy who swore that it was the best sounding Ovation out of about 6 that he recorded, but I couldn't hear the difference. Anyway, the neck is obviously stained. I think they used a soft satin sealant, but lots of people have sanded or finished them with a poly or some other hard varnish. Others can probably give you more detail. Or you could just play it so much that your hand smooths it out. I don't really notice the difference after a couple seconds, but I don't play that much.
CMP
Posted 2020-08-05 10:38 PM (#552670 - in reply to #552666)
Subject: Neck Profile/Finish

Thanks for the welcome! And the info! Perhaps bringing to a tech would be a wise move. If it could be smoothed out and basically disappear under my thumb I'd be elected with that outcome!

It does sounds quite good...Even acoustically! I don't have a fraction of the experience that most here have but it did sound a bunch better (more natural sounding?) to my ear than the 2002 Collector and the Custom Legend I played...

I'm still on the quest for an Adamas and a Long Neck.... so I'll be a regular here

Thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)