The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Will NAMM give us an indication of the future of Ovation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

dmkozak
Posted 2019-11-25 3:02 PM (#550549)
Subject: Will NAMM give us an indication of the future of Ovation?

I am clueless as to where Ovation is going and what the future might hold for these guitars. The members here, a seemingly dwindling bunch based on the number of posts now versus five years ago, seem to be the "last of the Mohicans". I wonder if our guitars are going to be historical remnants when only a few people frequent this site? Will our guitars have value for the history of Ovation versus their own playability and sound? Will the only people interested in purchasing Ovations be the members of this forum?

I had good hope when DW bought Ovation. Then, they came with an all wood guitar at last year's NAMM. Was this their way of telling us our roundbacks were in the past? And, DW was going in the direction of being another wood guitar maker?

Actually, now a few years down the road from the DW acquisition, I am really wondering why I'm still having the same questions. Why can't I get a read on where DW wants to take Ovation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2019-11-25 4:24 PM (#550550 - in reply to #550549)
Subject: Re: Will NAMM give us an indication of the future of Ovation?

Well, there are positive signs. Hiring Rick Hall being near the top. Also, the custom shop has been building some beautiful Adami. The repair shop, admittedly small, is accepting guitars. I have one in line for a spa treatment.

And, yes, traffic here is slow, though I and others check in daily. There will always be debate here whenever Facebook is mentioned... but there is quite a bit of activity on the two Ovation pages I subscribe to. And names I don't recognize from here. Multiple posts every day.

It looks as though O&A USA are going to be custom shop, small numbers and pricey. But it exists. Thankfully.
And traditional Ovations are being built off shore.... the one DW Korean instrument I have is very good quality.
I for one am optimistic. 2cents.
hwebster
Posted 2019-11-25 9:28 PM (#550552 - in reply to #550549)

My Custom Legend 1869 will come back in a couple weeks from the repair shop (neck reset), I learned from this forum what is involved in the process to bring back the perfect action on the strings. Having the experts available at the repair shop is positive for new customers. The new ovations look great and they do a good job with the website.
FlySig
Posted 2019-11-25 10:06 PM (#550553 - in reply to #550549)

Ovations are still respected and desired. As we have bandied about here many times, marketing and getting the guitars visibility (in the hands of popular artists) would probably help a lot.

A friend of mine is long time friends with a local musician who is well established and makes a good living touring. She wants to replace her Taylor with a better stage instrument, and hearing about my Ovations she came over to play them. Since you can't ever find new Ovations or Adamas in a store, this was the only way to test drive them. She enjoyed all of them and will be buying one (not one of mine). Her favorites were the new 1687GT from the custom shop, the 2080, and the Adamas Viper which really put a smile on her face. She had nothing but nice things to say about the wood topped Ovations too, though they are all older out of production models.

The point is, there is nothing sub-standard about Ovation or Adamas these days.
hwebster
Posted 2019-11-26 7:35 PM (#550562 - in reply to #550549)

Also if you order one guitar, shipping is free. Visit their website for details.
elginacres
Posted 2019-11-26 9:36 PM (#550566 - in reply to #550549)

To comment on the title of the post - about NAMM....maybe. But perspective here. The all wood Californian was shown at NAMM last year....btw - it is a well constructed very playable nice sounding guitar. Not what I think of when I think Ovation = but a nice guitar. Reminded me a little more of the Breedlove's and Larrivees I have owned over the years. But it just in the last couple of months has hit the street...

Mind you in the same NAMM - I played a MacPherson that was a all composite guitar - I am guessing their fans are also wondering what they are doing too. NAMM was weird. They aren't selling thousands of composites either.

Ovation took off because it was a real nice playing guitar that could be plugged in, a few pro players liked them - and got major TV time playing them, ergo the purchasing public had to have one too, then finally for the road warrior players on tours - there was nothing more dependable and durable as they get kicked around stages, green rooms, and the belly of the Prevost's. That last part still holds true. In the last year at Elton John, Phil Collins, and even Garth Brooks, there were O's and A's played live onstage here in Denver. They can play anything they want...for the record it was 12 stringers and mandolins, a nylon viper, and best I could tell one of the new City models....

NAMM may be a booth, or a private invitation only suite - who knows....but I am looking forward to seeing Rick...in the end whatever they make they gotta sell...they gotta put it in the hands of who the amateur players are listening to and emulating. - The working Pros...they can play anything they want.

Edited by elginacres 2019-11-26 9:39 PM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2019-11-26 10:46 PM (#550568 - in reply to #550549)

Every so often, you will see an Ovation Live on TV.
Often it is a Celebrity.
Especially on some of the newer bands.

But when you see an Ovation on TV you know that it is someone's personal guitar.
When every band member is playing the same brand... Taylor/Takamine/Fender/Gibson...
alpep
Posted 2019-11-27 9:56 AM (#550577 - in reply to #550549)

Namm is a promotion event.
it really is not an indication of market or sales.
it does provide sales speculation and orders.
that's about it.

I remain.....optimistic
dmkozak
Posted 2019-11-27 4:15 PM (#550584 - in reply to #550566)

Edited by dmkozak 2019-11-27 4:22 PM
dmkozak
Posted 2019-11-27 4:19 PM (#550585 - in reply to #550566)

Edited by dmkozak 2019-11-27 4:22 PM
dmkozak
Posted 2019-11-27 4:19 PM (#550586 - in reply to #550566)

elginacres - 2019-11-26 9:36 PM

To comment on the title of the post - about NAMM....maybe. But perspective here. The all wood Californian was shown at NAMM last year....btw - it is a well constructed very playable nice sounding guitar. Not what I think of when I think Ovation = but a nice guitar. Reminded me a little more of the Breedlove's and Larrivees I have owned over the years. But it just in the last couple of months has hit the street...

I guess I was looking for something other than a nice guitar that reminds people of other wood guitars. Do we not have enough good wood guitars from which to choose?

Mind you in the same NAMM - I played a MacPherson that was a all composite guitar - I am guessing their fans are also wondering what they are doing too. NAMM was weird. They aren't selling thousands of composites either.

I understand acoustic sales are upward, except Martin whose sales are down. Electric sales seem to be down a little although I'm not aware electric manufacturers are worried, except Gibson.

Ovation took off because it was a real nice playing guitar that could be plugged in, a few pro players liked them - and got major TV time playing them, ergo the purchasing public had to have one too, then finally for the road warrior players on tours - there was nothing more dependable and durable as they get kicked around stages, green rooms, and the belly of the Prevost's. That last part still holds true. In the last year at Elton John, Phil Collins, and even Garth Brooks, there were O's and A's played live onstage here in Denver. They can play anything they want...for the record it was 12 stringers and mandolins, a nylon viper, and best I could tell one of the new City models....

I thought one of the advantages of Ovation was that it was the acoustic that appealed to electric players, because the neck was narrower than other acoustics and the neck had a 10" radius, like an electric, and was not as flat as other acoustics. That helped me get on board 50 years ago and kept me with Ovation.

NAMM may be a booth, or a private invitation only suite - who knows....but I am looking forward to seeing Rick...in the end whatever they make they gotta sell...they gotta put it in the hands of who the amateur players are listening to and emulating. - The working Pros...they can play anything they want.

If Ovation was the acoustic for electric players, it doesn't seem to be playing that up any more. Don't know how much it might help, but a lot of electric players don't own an acoustic because they don't like the necks. But, with few American made Ovations, like the Balladeer/Elite standards, to get electric players introduced to Ovation, this becomes a tougher sell. Also, if the only Ovations available to play are Pacific Rim or upper end U.S. made models, there's no "entry" level U.S. models for electric players to buy.

I have no idea what DW is going to do. Adding Rick Hall, I think, is a hugely positive move. If the acoustic market is growing, it seems now would be a good time to make more Ovations, especially U.S. made, available to more people. It seems, to me, that would take a commitment on DW's part, and I'm hoping NAMM might show what commitment DW is willing to make on the future of Ovation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)