The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Legend or Elite?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Oddball
Posted 2019-03-20 11:10 AM (#547421)
Subject: Legend or Elite?

<p>Here's the mystery of the week for you - or at least me. Although I was not in the market for another guitar, I often peruse used ones just to see what's out there. Came across a "1868 Elite" on Craigslist and clicked on it for details, only to see what looked a lot like an 1869 Custom Legend. As I said, I was not in the market, but emailed the person noting this, and that they could probably get a few more bucks if it was advertised correctly. No response. Maybe a week goes by and it's still there, still advertised as an Elite. Well Geez... So I go look, make an offer and buy the dang thing for $400. It's been rode hard and put away wet, but it sounds terrific even with old strings. And if it is a CL, I figure that's a pretty good deal. The thing is, the label inside does indeed say 1868 Elite!! What's going on here? </p><p>(Sorry, I once again can't figure out how to post pics - where do you get a photo's URL? - maybe someone could pull the two pics from my Gallery photos? - thanks)</p>
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2019-03-20 12:46 PM (#547423 - in reply to #547421)
Subject: Re: Legend or Elite?

If that´s the red guitar in your album it´s definetely a custom legend guitar with just a wrong label inside, nice guitar for 400.-does it still have the small serial number sticker inside?
Oddball
Posted 2019-03-20 2:35 PM (#547425 - in reply to #547421)

Yes, the red one that looks like a CL. Pic of the label there, too. There is no # inside that I can see. On the back of the head is 539028, which according to Ovationtribute makes it a '99. Just seems weird that a guitar would be mislabeled like this - presumably a factory error - and that no one would notice. (Wouldn't they have had someone checking this sort of stuff? - It's kind of like an Impala going out the door with Chevette badging) Especially since one has the side holes and one has the center. Then again, they're only 'off' one digit (1868 vs 1869), so maybe the labels were just next to each other and they grabbed the wrong one...?
arumako
Posted 2019-03-20 7:33 PM (#547428 - in reply to #547421)
Subject: RE: Legend or Elite?

Oddball - 2019-03-20 1:10 AM
...maybe someone could pull the two pics from my Gallery photos? - thanks)

Here they are...

Oddball's red mystery

And here's the label...

Oddball's mystery label

That is definitely a Custom Legend! Ummm, if it's a nuisance for you, I'll be glad to give you 400 +shipping! LOL! That is an awesome price for an awesome guitar! Personally, I would not care too much about the label if it were going to be part of my line-up, but if it's for re-sale...gotta wonder if that's a Mother Ship deal or an after market fluke? In either case, that's a nice nice grab! Congratulations!

BCam
Posted 2019-03-20 7:44 PM (#547429 - in reply to #547421)

I keep searching CL daily for local ads but haven't found a deal like this yet.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2019-03-20 9:20 PM (#547430 - in reply to #547421)

Nice find,if its a shallow bowl its a 1869 Custom Legend,depending on condition you got either a great deal or an amazing deal,the label deal is a puzzler you never know with a 20 year old guitar if its a factory error or somebody lost the original label and put that on in instead.either way its an awesome find
Oddball
Posted 2019-03-21 10:41 AM (#547431 - in reply to #547421)

Yes, shallow bowl CL. Thanks to Arumako for posting pics. And thanks for the 'concurring opinions' - and the generous offer to relieve me of the burden. I think despite the hardship, I'll hold onto it for awhile. LOL. As mentioned, it does not appear to have been particularly well taken care of - finish cracks, cracks in the binding, rosette coming loose, broken 'ear' on the headstock - stuff like that. Plus it was absolutely filthy as though it had been on a stand for a long time. I did as thorough a cleaning as I could when I put new strings on it including blowing the inside off with compressed air - you should have seen all the dust and dust bunnies that came out! (Scared the crap out of me - I thought one was a huge spider and almost dropped the guitar.) It also strangely came in a deep-bowl case so it was flopping around a bit when carried, a problem since corrected when one of my other Ovations (an old Ultra shallow bowl) vacated its case for the cause. Am considering sending it to Mothership for refurb if they are still doing that, but am happy just plunking away for the moment. If guitars could talk, I'd really like to know its story. It really seems to have been treated like an ugly duckling when it was jsut a mislabeled swan.
alpep
Posted 2019-03-21 2:39 PM (#547434 - in reply to #547421)

mistakes are made all the time
DetlefMichel
Posted 2019-03-22 6:48 AM (#547441 - in reply to #547421)

And remember: a post stamp or a book with a misprint always has been a collector´s item!! Who else has a center-hole Ovation with an Elite label inside?
alpep
Posted 2019-03-22 8:37 AM (#547443 - in reply to #547421)

I've seen a few mistakes.....
Personally I don't view it as a big deal
if you enjoy the guitar play it and love it
ultimately that is all that matters
jay
Posted 2019-03-22 10:46 AM (#547446 - in reply to #547421)

Agree with Al. Ovation pumped out so many guitars, there had to be some mistakes. It is a beautiful color on a sweet guitar. Congrats on the steal!
Don't think the sticker means one thing or another...unless it had an X on it. Then folks would be taking notice.
Oddball
Posted 2019-03-26 11:15 AM (#547476 - in reply to #547421)

Dang - I was hoping it was a promo: "Find the mismarked Ovation and win a trip for two to beautiful Hawaii." Oh well. Seriously, it's not a big deal to me, either. Just wonder how it could have happened. Surely they had more than one set of eyes watching at the factory when these thing were going out the door. Especially the high-end models. Reminds me of a friend who worked in the wine industry and was apparently the only one who noticed that an entire run of 400 cases of Chablis bottles got Cabernet labels. Oops.
AstroDan
Posted 2019-04-16 7:00 PM (#547730 - in reply to #547441)

DetlefMichel - 2019-03-22 4:48 AM And remember: a post stamp or a book with a misprint always has been a collector´s item!! Who else has a center-hole Ovation with an Elite label inside?

How about my Custom Elite bought new at local B&M store in 2010?

DetlefMichel
Posted 2019-04-18 10:55 AM (#547764 - in reply to #547421)

We need a special Album for these guitars...there MUST be an Adamas out there with a C.F.Martin stamp inside;-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)