The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
a comparision of sound

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

guitarwannabee
Posted 2018-10-29 9:47 PM (#545677)
Subject: a comparision of sound

i have always been very curious about the taylor t-5 guitars since they came out about 10 years or so ago.
thought it was a very cool guitar and played a few back then and the only thing that impressed me was the neck.

i.m.h.o.

i think it is definitely a guitar for the more ( electric ) player in people than the acoustic player.

so today i picked up my first newborn ovation my old cs257 made in korea and snapped at it for a bit.
it sounds pretty darn good acoustically and great when plugged in.
that is why i bought it because you could have the best of both guitar sides.

anyway i got back to remembering back to when i was looking for another guitar i started playing some of those taylor t-5s and thought these guitars are nice but nothing over the top except that they are very expensive for what you get.

i think that my cs257 sounds better plugged in and acoustically. GWB

taylor t5z list price is $2900.00
o-cs-257 korean $499.00

here is taylors video of their high end t-5z.

http://acousticguitar.com/taylor-t5z-review/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-10-30 9:37 AM (#545678 - in reply to #545677)
Subject: Re: a comparision of sound

Try a VXT.
leonardmccoy
Posted 2018-10-31 3:38 PM (#545704 - in reply to #545677)

I just wish Ovation had further developed their VXT into what Taylor's T5z is offering.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2018-11-01 8:37 AM (#545715 - in reply to #545677)

My 2 cents... I've used my Viper a great deal for playing lead behind acoustic artists. Always wished it had an electric pup or two I could blend with the piezo. And a natural finished body.
Ovation took that concept one step too far for me with the development of the VXT. I would have bought one if they had retained the wooden bridge and OPP.
Still may add a mag pup to my EA-68 someday.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-11-01 11:53 AM (#545719 - in reply to #545677)

I felt the same, JS, which is why I custom ordered my VXT with a koa top, natural finish on the mahogany body, and ivoried binding from the Hamer shop upstairs. Then I switched out the control hardware and pickup covers to chrome, and as a final touch, added ivoried tuner buttons. Somewhere there’s a photo of it floating around that made it into one of Patch’s early calendars. I like the blended tone between the piezo and magnetic pickups the best.
bburg
Posted 2018-11-01 1:52 PM (#545720 - in reply to #545677)

Love my VXT, too. First I had regular one in sunburst. This one had trouble with the electronics. Then I got my VXT-Deluxe with maple top. This guitar is sounding much brighter than the regular one. I customized it with ebony pup frames, ebony knobs and Schaller vintage M6 tuners with custom ebony buttons with real MOP on both sides.
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/show-album.asp?albumid...
More pics in my album...

Bernie
guitarwannabee
Posted 2018-11-01 4:50 PM (#545721 - in reply to #545677)

is the vxt a solid body? if so are they heavy ? i looked on e-bay and all five that are listed are from japan. interesting that it sounds like everyone who has posted that has one has changed them around. is that just to personalize it or is it because you didn't care for the way it came from the factory play wise and sound wise. GWB
Oddball
Posted 2018-11-01 5:14 PM (#545722 - in reply to #545677)

+3 (or is it 4) on the VXT. Mine was "stock", but in the pretty flamed maple with a red finish and tortoiseshell binding. (Pics in my album.) Beautiful guitar, light for an electric (I've never played a T-5, but the VXT is lighter than a Strat or Les Paul). And lovely, comfy neck that fits my hand perfectly. I had it adjusted at a well-known local shop and the guys there had never seen one but loved it. Now it plays like butter - actually better than butter even if you could put strings on the butter. Sounds fabulous to me with the stock pickups and the piezo makes a pretty good case for acoustic sound.
I still don't quite get the "From Japan" guitars on eBay because they're priced 2 or 3X what you can get one for here (Adamas, too). Do they really sell any of these things? Anyway, keep your eye out on eBay and Reverb. Mine was listed for over $1,000 and I got it for $800, with the original case.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-11-02 8:04 AM (#545731 - in reply to #545677)

Yes, the VXT is a solid body, but the body cavity is relatively large to allow room for the circuit board, but not as large as the chambered body of an EA68 Viper.
FlySig
Posted 2018-11-02 9:54 AM (#545732 - in reply to #545677)

The Adamas Viper was a winner. I love mine. The bridge is a typical O/A style with OPP saddle, except it is aluminum not wood. The acoustic tone is very much like an O/A. I use Zebra strings which have alternating windings of phos/bronze and nickel. The strings have a good sound with the magnetic pickups, too. Very much a worthy successor to the VXT and worthy of the Adamas custom shop label.

Too bad production shut down, as I think this model had potential. They may have only produced 2 or possibly 3 of them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)