The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Gibson Robotic Tuners...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-08 3:30 AM (#541522)
Subject: Gibson Robotic Tuners...

Cruising through the OFC archives I found a post from way back in 2007 when Gibson was boasting their new robotic tuning system. Here's the demo video that was in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetVXbYRfWk

Now back to 2018... I recently borrowed a friend's new-issue Les Paul with a robotic tuner on it (mounted on the back of the headstock). So I just wanted to report where it has gone in 11 years. The answer is.. nowhere. It is the.. single.. most.. ridiculous.. thing I have ever seen on any guitar. Especially on an expensive one like this. First, its accuracy is zip. It displays that the guitar is tuned, but when you play it, it sounds just like a toy guitar from a thrift shop. Secondly, the robotic gears are so incrementally small and weak that too much manual tuning wears them out very quickly to the point where the knob just simply free-wheels and is completely useless and can no longer be tuned manually at all.. but the robotics still work and that's what you're stuck with. Insane. I bought a new Gibson SG Fusion a year ago (very basic USA-made) with manual tuners, and the guitar sounds just peachy. I had my friend's "high tech" USA Gibson for a week and couldn't play a single tune on it (he's switching it out for manual tuners). What ARE they thinking over there at Gibson?

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-03-08 3:39 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-03-08 6:00 AM (#541523 - in reply to #541522)
Subject: Re: Gibson Robotic Tuners...

The built-in tuner in my Adamas 1688 12string switches off after 1 minute. So you have 5 seconds for each string and if you are quick enough, a blink of an eye for control. That´s ok for me. I always wondered who might use a robot tuner, because 1. they are so UGLY and 2. they can not work. Everone of us knows that most of the time a physical correct tuning does not sound good.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-08 10:29 AM (#541526 - in reply to #541522)

I have always thought that any particular guitar should be tuned to itself. Just give me that initial bottom string note from whatever reliable source and let me go from there. That's what frosted me about the robotic gears that were so fragile and failed. No manual control. I admit that my question above was rhetorical. I realize that companies (guitar or otherwise) are these days into any wiz-bang-looking feature they can sell to a clueless consumer that will guide them through something that they know nothing about and have no desire to take the time to learn it the correct way. Even if it fails. No, make that ESPECIALLY if it fails. That way they can sell them the remedy, too. I sorely miss the days of honest, Charlie Kaman-type manufacturers.
alpep
Posted 2018-03-09 8:07 PM (#541560 - in reply to #541522)

Those tuners are junk
Beal
Posted 2018-03-10 9:06 AM (#541561 - in reply to #541522)

Gibsons suck
Darkbar
Posted 2018-03-10 8:40 PM (#541564 - in reply to #541561)

Beal - 2018-03-10 10:06 AM

Gibsons suck

What'd you say??!!!

leonardmccoy
Posted 2018-03-11 5:14 AM (#541566 - in reply to #541522)
Subject: RE: Gibson Robotic Tuners...

The time may not have been ripe yet due to technical limitations for Gibson's valiant effort of trying to find a solution to an age-old problem professional musicians have been dealing with: having to constantly tune the guitar on and off stage. While they found a solution in the creation of the G-Force tuners for their high-performance models, it turned out to be a solution too clunky and crude yet to have caught on across a larger range of the player base.

I'm not a fan of the G-Force tuners either—in fact, I can't stand them. But then again, I'm not a professional musician, so it's not a product aimed at me. I do, however, dig their Grover locking tuners and wouldn't want to have to play any electric guitar without them.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2018-03-11 5:23 AM
alpep
Posted 2018-03-11 1:57 PM (#541567 - in reply to #541522)

locking tuners are fine.
I like the sperzel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)