The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell Played My Place

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Reasley
Posted 2017-12-05 2:49 PM (#538246)
Subject: Glen Campbell Played My Place

hey, Ovation Fan Club members --

I stopped by my local music store today (Waco, Texas) and we began talking about a little bit of everything. When I told him where I lived, he told me that he set up my place for a private event one time with Glen Campbell as the performer.  Can't get much cooler than thar as a long-time Ovation/Glen Campbell fan, can it?

I live on acreage by the way that used to be a well-known Egyptian Arabian horse farm -- well before I bought it.

He told me several others who had played here (Steve Wariner, Dixie Chicks, Tanya Tucker) but Glen Campbell was the most fun to hear for me . . .

Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-12-05 7:23 PM (#538252 - in reply to #538246)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell Played My Place

Tell us about it. Any pics?
Reasley
Posted 2017-12-05 7:46 PM (#538254 - in reply to #538252)

moody, p.i. - 2017-12-05 7:23 PM Tell us about it. Any pics?

I bought the property in 2004.  It is a 25 acre horse farm and, from app. 1975-1995, it was purportedly a very well-known Eqyptian Arabian breeding facility.  "Thee Desperado" was its most famous horse and was born here and "made the property," so to speak.  They had numerous events over the years -- equine auctions, etc. etc. 11 again, LONG before I ever bought it.  But a neat history -- I knew the "horse history" but hadn't really thought about the "music history."  I'm going to go by the successor business (that bought the "breeding part" of the business) over Christmas -- they're here in Waco, and talk to the lady that manages that place -- who also was the manager here during its heyday and see if I can get copies of the pictures of some of the performers that were here.

If you know anyone that is "into horses," they will be familiar with Breyer horses.  Thee Desperado is one of the horses in their line.

Note that I am decidedly NOT an expert on horses, LOL.  My daughter rode & competed from the time that she was six until, oh, about the time I bought this property -- because boys suddenly became more important, LOL.  But I always planned on boarding horses here -- not for the money (there is none, particularly on this small scale and in a community like Waco) but more for utilizing the property and having "yard art."

Reasley
Posted 2017-12-05 9:21 PM (#538257 - in reply to #538246)

I now know that I was incorrect: after talkng to someone about it, I texted the music store owner and said "Are you sure the concert was at Stonegate Farms, in China Spring, and not Bentwood Farms, in Bosqueville?" He said that, now that he thought about it, it was Bentwood Farms. [The two farms are about 10 miles apart and are inter-connected via Egyptian Arabians and the manager of Bentwood Farms left there and bought & lived at Stonegate Farms.]

When he told me about the performances, I never thought to doubt it because I bought the property from Pat Green's (country artists) parents and I knew a lot about the equine auction history of the property prior to their purchase.

As another musical aside, Jarrell McCracken (Bentwood Farms) was the founder of Word Records. And, that farm (which is now owned by McLennan Community College) seriously had a "show stables" that had central air conditioned and heated horse stalls with huge oak doors at the entrance.

I'll leave the post up for a while and then delete it (if I can), since it's a moot point now.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-12-06 11:38 AM (#538265 - in reply to #538246)

LOL If we Deleted every "moot point" I'm not sure how much "point" would be left. It's all good. It's about music, with a little horses thrown in on the side.
jay
Posted 2017-12-06 12:28 PM (#538269 - in reply to #538265)

The Waco paper shows that Glen was there in May of 85.

"Guests were treated to three days of elite Texas hospitality on the 1400 acre estate which featured an evening concert by Glen Campbell."

Reasley
Posted 2017-12-06 12:52 PM (#538271 - in reply to #538265)

Mr. Ovation - 2017-12-06 11:38 AM LOL If we Deleted every "moot point" I'm not sure how much "point" would be left. It's all good. It's about music, with a little horses thrown in on the side.

Great point.  And hilarious! 

Maybe that should be the screen that pops up whenever someone goes to Facebook, for example, and starts trying to convince others politically:

"It's all a moot point!"

Thanks for the laugh -- and the truth, LOL.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)