The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What's with "from Japan" guitars?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Oddball
Posted 2017-10-06 8:30 PM (#537636)
Subject: What's with "from Japan" guitars?

Sorry if this has been addressed before (I did try searching), but does anyone know what's with all the eBay guitars listed as "from Japan"? They come in all brands, including many Ovations and Adamases, and mainly share being overpriced compared to stateside offerings for similar guitars, and the ones that don't ship free all seem to ship for $150-$180. Posters seem to be the same 5-6 entities. I don't recall reading that O's were ever produced in Japan, so why does there seem to be such a market for them there? And has anyone purchased one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-10-06 9:13 PM (#537639 - in reply to #537636)
Subject: Re: What's with "from Japan" guitars?

"From Japan" means that the guitars are Located in Japan.

Guitars from Japan are often more expensive because Japan has a better economy than the USA.
But these are often totally "collector's" guitars, and are Priced accordingly.
There are often Nice Adamii that they are asking $8K for.
Also, over a Thousand for Deacons and Preachers.

The Japanese LIKE Ovations and Adamii.
I own an Adamas W597(T) with a Textured-top that was custom ordered for a shop in Japan.

Also, Ovation "Pinnacle" guitars were Made in Japan.

Helpful?
Oddball
Posted 2017-10-08 9:17 PM (#537650 - in reply to #537636)

I know what "from Japan" means. It just seems like there are always a half-dozen or more of them on USA eBay - not just Ovation/Adamas but all makes. I like Tacoma guitars, too, and there are always a few of those 'from Japan'. Those particular guitars are often wildly overpriced - one model I routinely see for $600ish in US is priced at $3,200 "from Japan." Many of these FJ guitars seem to have the same sellers. I'm not suggesting anything sinister going on, just curious why 'just' Japan seems to have these big guitar sellers aimed at the U.S. market and not really any other countries.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-10-09 4:19 AM (#537656 - in reply to #537636)

I think that these guitars are just listed Worldwide.
HERE is a $5K Australian listing of a 30th Anny from one of the same Sellers.
If you are willing to pay the money, they will sell them to you.
It is just that the Japanese Sellers are asking more that the USA sellers.
(I don't know if they are Getting more than the USA sellers)

Remember back when you first joined the OFC...
All of those members in Japan and Europe and Russia had to pay a WHOLE LOT more for Ovations than those of us lucky enough to live in the USA had to pay.
Ah... The Good Ol' Daze.
Oddball
Posted 2017-10-09 10:26 AM (#537660 - in reply to #537636)

Okay, makes more sense if they are offered worldwide. And yeah, I wonder how many actually sell at astronomical prices. As for the ones with reasonable pricing, once I see the $150 shipping fee, any consideration for buying goes out the window.
alpep
Posted 2017-10-10 9:19 AM (#537677 - in reply to #537636)

there are certain ovations that were made for the Japanese markets
some of these were limited editions some where stock items.
the japanese are extremely picky about their guitars and can reject them for any reason so a guitar that was offered to the the japanese market usually is held to much higher QC IMHO
ymmv
Geostorm98
Posted 2017-10-10 4:39 PM (#537692 - in reply to #537677)

alpep - 2017-10-10 10:19 AM there are certain ovations that were made for the Japanese markets some of these were limited editions some where stock items. the japanese are extremely picky about their guitars and can reject them for any reason so a guitar that was offered to the the japanese market usually is held to much higher QC IMHO ymmv

Yup, Ovation had a distributor called Nakau in Japan back in the day that would order special editions of existing guitars with a little twist specifically for the Japanese market. These guitars were special with their unique features plus having one sent back was costly, hence perhaps some extra QC was performed. As far as I can recollect Nakau would inspect the guitars for any slight imperfection. I managed to land a Millenium (the one with the planets on the FB) that had been shipped back for a supposed imperfection in the top...but we never did find anything wrong with it. It's kind of a topic in and of itself not related to other super expensive Ovations one sees pop up for sale in Japan. There were numerous Nakau models.

Edited by Geostorm98 2017-10-10 4:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)