The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
7 digit serial number :/

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-28 5:05 PM (#2503)
Subject: 7 digit serial number :/

So I know it is impossible to figure out what year my Ovation celebrity CC057 is, because there is a 7 digit serial number making it an import, though the bowl is U.S made. I am just wondering how much these Ovations are worth in general? It has a honey burst finish and the preamp is an OP-20. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-11-28 7:59 PM (#2504 - in reply to #2503)
Subject: Re: 7 digit serial number :/

Couple hundred
VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-28 9:14 PM (#2505 - in reply to #2503)

Any number in specific..I'm thinking sell wise 450.00?
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-11-28 9:35 PM (#2506 - in reply to #2503)

G8r
Posted 2010-11-28 10:10 PM (#2507 - in reply to #2503)

You can ask that, sure, but if I was looking for one I'd quickly see that I could buy a brand new one for less. Do some research online - check the prices at several online and brick&mortar retailers. Then look at eBay, using the recently completed auctions search function to see what used ones sell for.

220 is optimistic.
VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-29 11:16 AM (#2508 - in reply to #2503)

I emailed Ovation, it's a 2004, and retailed for 599.99. It's honey burst which makes it more appealing then most(in my opinion) so I think 450 is pretty reasonable. Thanks for the posts!
G8r
Posted 2010-11-29 11:21 AM (#2509 - in reply to #2503)

Hard to imagine when you can get 4 of them from amazon.com starting from $200 (very first place I looked), but whatever. Best of luck.
nikon4004
Posted 2010-11-29 11:49 AM (#2510 - in reply to #2503)

Retail and selling priceare WAY different.
Just picek up a Celb DLx RRBY w/roadrunner case 270.00 at GC.

450.00? I think you are wating ad space.
VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-29 1:14 PM (#2511 - in reply to #2503)

There's also a huge difference from where you're selling. I'm not using ebay or anything like that. I'm using kijiji (Canadian) Online stores usually have things for 200 and such, (Cheap) that's what an online store is. But if I were to go into my local music store (Long and Mcquade) and wanted to pick myself up a used Ovation, it'll cost me 399 without the case. I have a case, and this baby is in mint condition. I've had offer, I think I know what I'm doing sell wise.
VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-29 1:16 PM (#2512 - in reply to #2503)

Also don't forget theses online stores have sometimes 150.00 dollar shipping so that's just adding costs.
G8r
Posted 2010-11-29 2:09 PM (#2513 - in reply to #2503)

Dude, whatever. The math I was taught still puts the lowest used price plus your figure for shipping at just about what I'd pay at my local GC for a brand new one.

Please realize, there isn't anybody here who has a direct emotional or financial interest in what you can sell your guitar for. You came here presumably because you thought this group likely had the best knowledge about Ovation guitars and their market worth. You'd be dead right about that. Most of the active members here have bought/sold/traded collectively hundreds if not thousands of Ovation guitars, from the cheapest Chinese Celebrity's up to the rarest and most expensive first-issue Adamas previously owned by artists such as Paul McCartney, Jim Croce, etc. So yeah, we generally know what we're talking about, and we gave you a fair assessment of what your particular guitar might fetch on the open market.

But now it seems you just came here to get affirmation for what you'd already decided was the price you thought you should get for your guitar. We could blow smoke up your ass and agree with you, but that'd just be that - blowing smoke up your ass. The "market value" of a guitar (or anything) lies somewhere between what the seller would like to get for it and what any given buyer is willing to pay for it. There are quite a few things you don't seem to be considering in deciding what you already expect your guitar should be worth.

[list]
[*]Is it especially rare, hard to find, unique, or hard to replace? No, these were made by the thousands (if not tens of thousands) overseas.
[*]Is it high-end? No, these were designed as mid-entry level guitars, using cheaper materials in order to meet a specific price point, rather than for high build quality and tone. This particular one is a laminate top, putting it even lower down the scale of quality and desirability for someone who knows the least bit about guitars.
[*]Were any special materials/construction techniques/electronics, etc. used? No, see above.
[*]Is there collector interest? Not at all, for the reasons stated above.
[*]What's the likely target market for it? In this case, a trade-up from the $100 learner's guitar the 12-year-old got for his birthday, but not too far up since he might yet give up on his guitar lessons.
[*]Is this used one a particular bargain? At your ideal price, not in the least, considering I could get a comparable brand new one for the same or less.
[*]Are these guitars well respected and sought after? Absolutely not. The general guitar buying public is convinced that Ovations are pieces of junk only fit for canoe paddles. We know better, and a lot of these snobs who've never so much as tried an Ovation quickly change their minds when they hear and play a higher end model, but again this ain't a higher end guitar you've got.
[/list]

I honestly, truly hope you could get your asking price. That would mean all of us would be instantly richer (on paper, anyway). I said it before, and I still mean it: best of luck. But again, nobody's trying to dis you. You asked for a fair assessment, and you got it. Sorry if that didn't meet you expectations, but it is what it is.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-11-29 2:25 PM (#2514 - in reply to #2503)

Read what G8r said and pay attention. He's also giving you (along with an extremely accurate picture of the situation), a fair evaluation. If the price differential between Canada and the U.S. is really far apart, then why ask us for our opinion?

Ovations are extremely undervalued in the used guitar market. We buy them because we love them, not to try to make money off of them or (sad to say), even break even. A used Celeb just doesn't bring in much money on the used market. But at least you can't say that they are way over priced for what you get, like a Taylor. It makes them great bargins. Sorry.....
VintageBeatle1964
Posted 2010-11-29 2:39 PM (#2515 - in reply to #2503)

What I am saying is that no one is wrong in the situation. I'm just stating that I've had plenty of offers, so I know what I can get out of it. I'm not taking offense to this in any way. I'm not educated on the Ovation what so ever. I just know what I can get through the people who are replying to my add. Thanks for the replies though!
Waskel
Posted 2010-11-29 4:12 PM (#2516 - in reply to #2503)

Nice list usage, Serge...
G8r
Posted 2010-11-29 4:54 PM (#2517 - in reply to #2503)

For my next trick, embedded lists. At least until I can hack CSS for ubb.code...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)