The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas 1598 binding repair ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-04-07 12:36 AM (#533563)
Subject: Adamas 1598 binding repair ?

I got an Adamas 1598 SMT 12 string off reverb and when it showed up the binding was was separating from the top around the cutaway going up to the neck heel,A friend of mine who has a guitar store is helping me rebind the top and we're wondering what to use to attach the new binding to the top,he thinks it looks like epoxy is on there now I was wondering if anyone had experience with the binding on the Adamas SMT models?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2017-04-07 7:54 AM (#533565 - in reply to #533563)
Subject: RE: Adamas 1598 binding repair ?

What glue you use will depend on what the binding is made from.

On the Os I've bound I use the cream binding from AllParts.com. To glue it I use SCIGRIP 16. which is an acetone-based acrylic glue. The SCIGRIP seems to stick to all the different types of plastic and wood linings used by the MS.

When I glued the BW & ZipFlex abalone purfling to the 1528 I'm working on I had to use medium CA because the SCIGRIP 16 wouldn't stick to the black sheathing surrounding the abalone. Once I got the BW and ZipFlex glued, I was able to the use the SCIGRIP to glue the cream binding to the outer BW purfling.

Edited by DanSavage 2017-04-07 7:57 AM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-04-07 5:47 PM (#533578 - in reply to #533563)
Subject: Re: Adamas 1598 binding repair ?

I got,had ordered for me,white binding from AllParts.com so it should be similar to what your using my friends concern with the normal binding glue he uses was a reaction of the acetone with the carbon fiber top he was afraid it might melt it.

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2017-04-07 5:49 PM
DanSavage
Posted 2017-04-08 8:58 AM (#533588 - in reply to #533563)

Yes, the white binding from AllParts.com should be the same as the cream. If there's any other 'white' binding on the guitar, the cream will be a better match of color than the white. Ovation binding is actually off-white.

I can't say for sure about Adamas guitars, but Ovations use a polyester finish which is pretty much impervious to all chemicals except acids, etc.

WRT the CF/birch/CF lamination of the top itself, the epoxy used should also be pretty much impervious.

As is always recommended, a test in a small, out of the way spot is revealing.

The absolute safest glue would be epoxy as it will bond to the CF, the lining and the binding, though you may have to rough up the inside of the binding with some sandpaper first as epoxy will only form a mechanical bond and if the surface is too smooth, it will peel right off.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-04-08 9:24 PM (#533596 - in reply to #533563)

Thanks for the advice Dan,the only binding on the guitar is around the body and were going to replace all of it,it's a little off white but I thought the cream was darker than I wanted to go so the white should make a nice contrast line between the top and the bowl.
We glued the top where the CF separated from the bowl today and will pull the rest of the old binding next.
I think we'll probably go with epoxy as that's safest.

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2017-04-08 9:52 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)