The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
12 string guitar recomendations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Dad Roadie
Posted 2017-02-12 2:22 PM (#532741)
Subject: 12 string guitar recomendations

Hi to All,
I’m hoping to get some opinions about reasonable action setting (12th fret) for an Applause 12 string. I have been working on this Applause (model AE-35) made in Korea 12 string as a favor for a friend of mine for a while. The guitar is in decent shape (slight bow behind the bridge) but originally the action was terrible. By adjusting the neck (almost dead flat) and taking off as much saddle as I dare. (This one doesn’t have shims) I have been able to get the action down to 7/64th on the bass and 5/64th on the treble side. I tuned the guitar down to D and it has stayed at this setting for over a month. It sounds GREAT by the way. Before I give it back I wanted to get some opinions if this would be an acceptable action in general for this type of instrument. I’m hoping maybe some of you own one of these and could advise. The only other thing left I could think of is to try to remove the bulge behind the bridge. I have heard that sometimes this can be accomplished by moisture but I don’t know if I’m ready to tackle that challenge. This isn’t an expensive instrument to send out for a neck reset or such. He just wants to use it for a couple of songs we do. I don’t believe that the action that I have been able to get for him is out of line. But depending on the forums answers I will be able to answer that. If there are any other things I could try I’m open for suggestions
The strings have been on this guitar for about 20years! Before I give it back I want to replace them and was thinking of using either Martin Silk and Steel or DAddario EJ41 extra light gauge strings. I know this will probably call for a truss rod adjustment but felt the lighter gauge would put less pressure on the bridge. Can anyone recommend either of these?
Last but not least does anyone know if the factory still works on regular Ovation Guitars? I’ve had my 1612 since I bought it new in 1980. There is no one that I know of in my area (Chicago northwest suburbs) that have the knowledge and tools to work on these instruments anymore. The guitar is fine at the moment. I would imagine that my lifetime warranty is no longer valid but it would be nice to know I could send it to them if needed. I remember they used to do outstanding work. Not sure what happened with the recent purchase by DW.
Thanks in advance to all of you.
All the Best!
Dad Roadie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2017-02-12 4:03 PM (#532742 - in reply to #532741)
Subject: Re: 12 string guitar recomendations

Hi Roadie,

If there is such a thing, standard action is 6/64 on the bass side and 5/64 on the treble. So, yours is a little high, but not that bad. I also keep my 12s tuned down a full step to help keep the belly in check.

Personally I wouldn't wet the wood on the inside.

I haven't used silk and steel strings, so I can't comment on them. I like extra light strings on my 12s and for the same reason. (keep belly in check) My personal preference is Elixir nanoweb, but the D'ads work fine, too.

I think the factory still works on guitars. Your best bet is to contact them directly. (John Budny - Jbudny at DWdrums dot com)

Dan
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-02-12 5:00 PM (#532745 - in reply to #532741)
Subject: Re: 12 string guitar recomendations

That sounds like pretty good action for an old applause,I use light EJ 38 D'addario's on my 12 strings,Elixirs are great but pricey.
The Mothership is still working on guitars and they have one of mine right now.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)