The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Magnum II saving ...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

DobriDiv
Posted 2016-04-11 4:20 AM (#524567)
Subject: Ovation Magnum II saving ...

I found this old lady in friends shed. I bought it to save it and back it in life (I am builder of musical instruments). By the way I was searching for it for a long time. Story goes this way: First owner broke headstock ..and gave it to another guy to fix it. That guy decided to build new neck from ash wood...and destroyed old neck while trying to remove fingerboard and pull out trussroad. He also broke fingerbord acros the lineof 2nd and 3rd fret. So he destroed original neck. After bad results with making new neck, he sold guitar to my friend many years ago.... Through the years my friend desambled rest...and lost most.... some were destroed like pickups...or he sold some parts.... I didnt know for all of those actions... Week ago I find out for this story, went to friend and asked if something survived. This photos present survived parts.... including fingerboard (damaged as described but repairable) trusroad is also saved.
So I am here to ask for help in repairing this baby. I can make most parts ... Have same wood as original was, for neck. Graphite central stripe which goes all the way through the neck I can not find here in my country...but maybe I can use abony wood wich is black color too.
If someone have this guitar maybe cen help me with some measurements....
I need size of pickups.. cause I can wound them and make them same as original but I need dimensions. Also dimensions of pickups frame are needed.
If anyone can help I will be very thankful.

Alek

Photo 1 : Condition I found it.

Photo2,3,4 : After cleaning

picture uploader

click image upload

pic upload

hosting images

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DobriDiv
Posted 2016-04-11 4:24 AM (#524568 - in reply to #524567)
Subject: Re: Ovation Magnum II saving ...

Later, friend who sold me guitar found neck pickup coils and magnetic sticks.... I hope polepieces are original.... but someone can tell me polepieces length and than I'll know for a shore.

I need to make neck pickup base plate... pickup PCB with trimmers and resistors....

screen capture tool
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-04-11 12:49 PM (#524573 - in reply to #524567)

Would you be interested in some original parts, or do you just want to build them all for the sake of the project?
DobriDiv
Posted 2016-04-11 2:48 PM (#524576 - in reply to #524567)

Hello...

Thank you for your response... I am interesting in some parts that is hard to be made....

Pickguard... and pickup frame are possible to be made... some other parts are harder...

Maybe I would like to buy some of them... but you just tel me what you have and prices...

I have trusrod and original fingerboard...other parts are missing...

All 8 OPamps from PCB are missing...also neckplate , bolts, pickup frame, bridge pickup, some neck pickup parts, tuners, vol. pot, selector switch...

So write to me what you have and prices.. than I will know can I pay those...

Alek
DobriDiv
Posted 2016-04-19 8:11 AM (#524659 - in reply to #524567)

Good news!

I bought bridge pickup.... and friend has found original neck plate! So guitar now has own serial number....

Pickup suround ..tuners... still missing... volume pot too...selector switch too.... and 8 IC from circuit board missing too....

If anyone has photos or info what is inside the neck please provide...

I found info there are 3 carbon reinforcements... one is visible on the necks back... but I do not know how deep it goes...and where are two others...supose under fingerboard...

I am just trying to make the neck as much close to original one....

All the best Alek

free upload image

Edited by DobriDiv 2016-04-19 8:12 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-04-20 10:55 PM (#524708 - in reply to #524567)
Subject: RE: Ovation Magnum II saving ...

So I looked through what I have left.

• A neck pickup that as far as I can tell the only thing wrong with it is the ground lead broke loose, but it doesn't look like it's ever been used.
  • Three (3) bodies that were finished but never completely assembled as far as I can tell.  As example one has the receiver for the latch that locks the battery cover closed but it doesn't have the inserts for the bridge studs.  Another has the inserts for the bridge studs, but the receiver for the battery cover lock wasn't installed yet.

• Three (3) Tuners.  I'm guessing I have a forth somewhere, but as of this moment, I can only find three.

•  Complete-ish circuit board with pickup selector and jack (volume is mounted) etc.  
    • The battery leads need to be replaced
    • one pair of the MC3476P op amps (7733) are missing (easily replaced, maybe salvage from the pre-amp you have)
    • one of the handles on one of the sliders is broken (looks like you could salvage one from your preamp)

If interested email me at mileskb at aol dot com and we'll figure out the numbers.

Miles

DobriDiv
Posted 2016-08-31 3:26 AM (#528539 - in reply to #524567)

Update:

I've got some missing parts...
Still looking for pickup frame... one missing neck bolt ... pickguard...etc

gifs upload
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)