The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1993 Collectors/ Serial Number/ Accessoroes?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-20 1:16 PM (#528916)
Subject: 1993 Collectors/ Serial Number/ Accessoroes?

Hi, Everyone,
As all of you may have guessed by now, I really do love my NOS 1993 Collectors Series guitar. I just have a few questions about it, and the accessories, that maybe some of my fellow OFCers can answer. MR. OVATION, and ALPEP, are you out there? OMA? Anyone?
1) Where do I find the serial number? Where is The Ovation Archives on this model's sequence numbers?
2) The OHSC is very beat up. The guitar itself is in great shape, for its age, as I said;- so, yes, the case did its job for well over 20 years, but now, it's just really done like dinner. What newer hard shell case model, if any, will fit this guitar, and, if they are still available, where can I get one?
3) As I mentioned earlier, in another previous post, this particular guitar came with a very unusually curved truss rod wrench. I'l try to get pics posted, but like I sad before, the truss rod wrench basically looks like Captain Hook's spare/dress model?! Scary stuff. If anyone has any information on how to use this thing, i.e.,(As in," WHAT IS THIS FREAKIN' THING?!"), it would be be of great help. I remain...
A very happy Canadian/Ovation camper,
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-09-20 2:20 PM (#528919 - in reply to #528916)
Subject: Re: 1993 Collectors/ Serial Number/ Accessoroes?

1) I would think that the serial number would be on that fancy label if it ain't on the headstock.
2) If this is a Mid-Depth bowl, the case would be a 8158 Hard Case, or a 9158 Fancier Hard Case.
3) I don't know what your Truss Rod Wrench looks like, but you adjust the neck from inside the bowl.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-20 3:05 PM (#528922 - in reply to #528916)

Hi, OMA,
Many thanks, Arthur! As per usual, you are always very helpful. Yes, indeed, the label is fancy, and no, the serial number ain't on the head stock, neither. We did manage to get a partial serial number? as of the playing last night, so I'l just double check on that score. I may have bring out my flashlight to see the inside fully at some point. I'm leaving the truss rod wrench thingy? alone, thank you very much, and all the adjustments of the neck to my guitar tech guy. I am Canada's Worst Handy Man. Yes, OMA, it is a mid-depth bowl, as you have so rightly guessed. Now, I just have to decide which case I want. I'm thinking the fancier 9158 case, and it would would make a nice Christmas present for myself, eh?;- because that's probably how long it would take to get one here in CANADA. Again, my many thanks to you.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-23 3:09 PM (#528964 - in reply to #528916)

Hi, Everyone,
I did, I did. find a NOS#8158-0 Case!! Long & McQuade, London, ON.(North) still has one. It is listed as a mid-depth bowl case. I can do a purchase through one of their 2 Ottawas stores, and they will ship it here. What is the difference between a #9158-0 case, (as recommended in the Ovation Archive/literature for the 1993 Collectors Series), and the #8158-0 case?
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-23 4:15 PM (#528965 - in reply to #528916)

8158 is the basic version, a Volkswagen, 9158 the upgrade, a Mercedes, I would say. Google for pictures and you may see the difference.

The 9158 weighs less, but costs more. And is a bit handier to me.

I have three Mercedes, two Volkswagen. Whenever I take a guitar out, I prefer the Mercedes because of the weight.
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-23 4:16 PM (#528966 - in reply to #528916)

BTW, both cases are available in Germany new.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-23 5:06 PM (#528967 - in reply to #528916)

Hi, red-twins,
Thank you for the information. I was told by L&M here in Ottawa, ON., CANADA, that the #9158-0 HSC is now discontinued in North America? What's up with that? I have no choice, but to go with the Volkswagen!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON, CANADA
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-09-23 9:27 PM (#528971 - in reply to #528916)

They may be discontinued. That would be up to DW and TKL.
But they are still available from Sweetwater and Damon's Red Blanket Guitars.
Damon's is cheaper. You would have to contact him about shipping.
But if they are REALLY discontinued you might want to get one while the getting is good.
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-24 9:50 AM (#528973 - in reply to #528916)

The anniversary guitars come in a case that looks like the 9158 to me. Owners of these guitars probably can tell us.

I cannot imagine DW selling Ovations again But not offering cases....
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-24 10:54 AM (#528974 - in reply to #528973)

Hi, Everyone,
My 1993 Collectors Series guitar came in what now appears to be a #8158-0 case. It has the usual imprinted Ovation logo on the top, but not the large 3-D silver decal logo. There is also no white Ovation logo on the inside lid, either. Sad to say, OMA, unfortunately, the link to Red Blanket Guitars did not work?; however, I suspect it's only because my now ancient laptop is dying on the vine here. red-twins, I did not see any link to any cases and /or accessories on The new Ovation website that DW is running, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place on the site menu? Downtime on the delivery of the NOS#8158-0 case, from L&M in London, ON., is about a week, and I can do the entire transaction by phone, with a credit card, through the Kanata/Ottawa store, which saves me a trip down there,Thank God! (Its' about 7 hours, as the crow flies.) The case is $229.00 CAN. That is NOT including yet another 17% taxes, people. It's fun to live in Canada, eh? Also, unfortunately for me, my scooter's electrical system is shot now, so guess where the money for the case may end up going? If the provincial government health care system pays for my scooter repairs, I can possibly get a new case, but if not, and my scooter is beyond repair, we are talkin' mucho deneiro for a new scooter. I love challenges, don't you, guys?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-25 5:14 PM (#528988 - in reply to #528916)

It is correct, there is nothing to read about cases on the DW homepage, but there are Ovations that come with cases. German distributors can deliver cases, als they can deliver new Adamas string sets. I don't know why it is more difficult to get them in other parts of the world, but regarding prices in Canada, I guess you should grab a 8158, if you can afford it. And it Sounds a convenient way to get it delivered. The 9158 will be much more expensive...
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-26 1:53 AM (#528991 - in reply to #528988)
Subject: Re: 1993 Collectors/ Serial Number/ Accessories?

Hi, Red-twins,
I got a PM for Alpep about the price of a USA 9158-0 case. It's a great deal actually, but again, I don't live in the USA. I really have to wait and see, as I'm wondering about the costs of my scooter repair at this point. In about 10 days, I should know more on this, and then I can make a decision on the case after that. I think I may have to go with the last NOS #8158-0 case that is already still available here in Canada, if it comes down to it. Do you know of a dealer in Germany where I can get the new Adamas Strings?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON., CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2016-09-26 2:02 AM
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-09-26 6:03 AM (#528992 - in reply to #528916)

@Mike S--"Do you know of a dealer in Germany where I can get the new Adamas Strings?"

Hi Mike..
Someone put up a link in a post about 6 weeks ago for a place in Washington that is selling the new Adamas strings online-- but did I bookmark it or remember the name?? Uh.. no. Too dumb for that.. but I do remember going to the site to check it out, and it said they were in stock, but I haven't actually bought any from them. Maybe someone reading here was smart enough to bookmark it or remembers the title of the post to find the link.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-26 8:11 AM (#528996 - in reply to #528992)

Hi, Love O Fair,
Ooopsie! 40 Lashes With a Wet Noodle For You, Eh? Silly me will actually try to track this down now. So, I said to to myself, "And just how do you propose to that, Mike?" And myself said back," We're not sure?!" (Maxwell Smart)
d'ovation
Posted 2016-09-26 10:06 AM (#528997 - in reply to #528916)

It is Damon's store that is selling the strings, so you can probably PM him. I will also travel to Germany in October and will likely be in Ottawa on Dec. 6 so could pick some up. But I assume that with exchange rate and everything buying strings in Germany will be more expensive than to order them from Damon's store.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-26 12:29 PM (#528998 - in reply to #528997)

Hi, D'ovation,
Thank you for the most kind offer regarding the Adamas Strings. The link to Damon's store, ( Red Blanket Guitars) did not work for me, so I may take you up on it, at some point, once I know more about my scooter repair situation. This unforeseen event has put my my financial situation in a state of flux right now, so it has become a waiting game regarding a new case, strings, maybe a 50th Anniversary Folklore,( if they aren't a 100th Anniversary Folklore,'til Jesus comes back?), etc. We'll wait and see. Again, my thanks to you for the offer on the strings.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-26 4:51 PM (#528999 - in reply to #528916)

Www.thomann.de
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-27 12:35 PM (#529004 - in reply to #528999)

Hi, red-twins,
Thanks for the info. Thinks are finally looking up both scooter, and case wise now. My scooter could be back from the shop by the end of the week, but I'm still not sure whose footing the bill? I just talked to Steve's Music in Ottawa. They can get me a new #9158-0 case for $189.99 CAN. My guitar tech will bring it to my house when he picks up my 1993 in about 2 weeks, after I get paid, thank God. (Insert, "YAY! here, also.) I'll be in touch with Alpep about this, too. He is always helpful. Thanks, again.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
red-twins
Posted 2016-09-27 5:01 PM (#529005 - in reply to #528916)

Everything will be good in the end +1
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-28 12:36 PM (#529023 - in reply to #529005)

Hi, Red-twins,
Thank you the kind reply. I'm stoked about about the NOS#9158-0 case, for sure, eh? No word on my scooter repair just yet, though. The story of my life is, "Hurry up, and wait!"
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON. CANADA.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-09-30 3:28 PM (#529047 - in reply to #529023)

Hi, Everyone,
Good news! I just got my "loaner scooter", and found out the repairs on mine won't cost me anything. (At least that's what the tech guy said, and I did sign off on something?), so yes, I went ahead, and I ordered my NOS#9158-0 case from Steve's Music Store, right here in Ottawa. It should arrive in about 2-3 weeks, tops. Now for some Adamas Strings, I'll be contacting Damon, I do believe. He will be getting a PM from me shortly. Thanks, OFC, for all the encouragement, and information this far. We are not quite out the woods yet, however, so I will be in touch with Alpep soon, too. " I got questions."
Mike S.
Posted 2016-11-05 4:11 PM (#530662 - in reply to #528916)

Hi, Everyone,
It seems I forgot to ask about a Certificate Of Authenticity for my 1993 Collector's Series guitar. Oops!! No, I never actually got a COA with it. BAD MICHAEL! Forty lashes with a wet noodle for me. So, I talked to the previous owner of my 1993 Collector Series guitar, and apparently, at the time he bought the guitar, way back in 1993, there was NO Certificate of Authenticity issued with his guitar. (No key for the 8158-0 case, either?) The store that he bought the guitar from was very reputable at the time, but sadly, went bankrupt last year. He also informed me that he bought the 1993 Collector's guitar when he was still living with his parents, and all the paperwork for the guitar, including the COA, if there ever was one?, "got lost in the shuffle when I moved out." He seems to think that the fancy Collector's Series label inside the guitar, along with the serial number, should be proof enough that it is, "the genuine article", as we say up here. So, is the previous owner right, or did I just buy a fake/counterfeit guitar? Can I still get ANY kind of verification about the guitar, and/or possibly another COA from Ovation, using a trace on the serial number? It's a bit of a head-scratcher for me. Yes, Alpep, and Mr. Ovation, I STILL got questions. (Oh, and one more thing... Did I mention he still wants the guitar back? Yeppers, ladies and gentlemen. Serious Seller's Remorse, or what?) "Lucy, you got splainin' to do."
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA
jay
Posted 2016-11-05 4:25 PM (#530663 - in reply to #528916)

Mike, do you have a brother name Dave Kell?
It is hard to counterfeit an Ovation.
It would be much easier to counterfeit the COA.
I think if it looks like a 93 Collector and has the sticker, most of us would be satisfied.
Don't sweat the small stuff...you have the most important thing that came in the case when it was sold.

Mike S.
Posted 2016-11-06 3:35 AM (#530666 - in reply to #530663)

Hi, Jay,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My main question when I got the guitar, (because I was just so stoked in finally getting it!), was all about playability/getting it set up, etc. I never even thought about the COA until this week, as in, "How come I don't have one? I'd better find out why, eh?" Hence the phone call to the previous owner. No, Jay, sorry to say, I do not have a brother named Dave Kell, BUT, my Filipina hairstylist friend calls me, "MY-KELL", all the time! Close enough?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)