The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
5868 in pieces

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

PeterD
Posted 2015-03-23 6:28 AM (#507940)
Subject: 5868 in pieces

In November of 2011 I saw this 5868 sitting in a window of a local Taiwan guitar repair shop. (I will post a picture below, but I don’t know what size is the right size to resize so it will probably be too big.)  The neck wasn’t with it then.  I went by the shop today and there was the neck!  So I asked how much and no one knew but they would ask around and find out who really owns it and if they want to sell it.

When I go back I will try to get inside the shop and take some better close up pictures of the damage.  What telltale signs should I look for which would make the difference between worthless or savable? 

I just finished grafting an old slot head onto a cheap super-shallow Korean “Gemini” (Ovation Elite copy).  The original peg head had been violently severed from the neck and was long lost before it ever got into my hands.  I like the feel of the super shallow bowl and it looks nice, however while I’m no musician even I can tell the sound of this cheap copy is pretty sad.  So the idea of a real Ovation super shallow that I might be able to save is really appealing!  I can’t play worth a hoot, but being able to tell the story of saving a unique guitar can be a distraction from my lack of talent.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2015-03-23 8:53 AM (#507943 - in reply to #507940)
Subject: Re: 5868 in pieces

"I can’t play worth a hoot, but being able to tell the story of saving a unique guitar can be a distraction from my lack of talent."

You are in the right forum brother!
seesquare
Posted 2015-03-23 9:22 PM (#507959 - in reply to #507943)

Peter D-
"The greatest burden, is that of high potential" You have both here- a great instrument, and the willingness "to do the right thing".
Carry On!
PeterD
Posted 2015-03-26 7:03 AM (#508024 - in reply to #507940)

I stopped by again and asked again about them selling it. A customer dropped it off years ago to get repaired. They told the customer it couldn't be repaired and the customer never came to get it. So they can't sell it to me. It also isn't clear to me what makes it un-repairable. My Chinese guitar part vocabulary is limited. Next time I go down there I'll ask if they can communicate with the old customer and ask if they want to sell the un-repairable parts.
Waskel
Posted 2015-03-27 2:08 PM (#508085 - in reply to #507940)
Subject: RE: 5868 in pieces

Years?
Around here, they give you maybe 4-6 months in that situation. After that it's theirs to do with as they please.
Explain to them that obviously the person is not coming back for it, and it's an opportunity for them to get rid of it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)