The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation legend Repair

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

rusty999
Posted 2015-02-09 1:28 PM (#505484)
Subject: Ovation legend Repair

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie here , so hopefully not breaking any rules as I may have posted this in the wrong category this morning
Can anyone tell me whats the best glue to use when reconstructing an Ovation. Basically , I have had to disassemble an ovation to fix various cracks and broken braces so now I have to assemble it all again by using whatever glue is appropriate to put the top back on the bowl.
What glue do Ovation use to build the instrument? Will 2 part epoxy be strong enough .
Any advise much appreciated
Cheers
Rusty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2015-02-09 2:51 PM (#505490 - in reply to #505484)
Subject: RE: Ovation legend Repair

Hi Rusty! And Welcome!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope that you are taking pictures along the way, to share with everybody!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-02-09 3:06 PM (#505492 - in reply to #505484)
Subject: Re: Ovation legend Repair

SOBeach gave you a good link in the first place you posted this. Look for threads by Dan Savage in particular. He is a model airplaner and seems to have a wealth of knowledge regarding glue. Also, his work on retopping an Ovation recently is just plain interesting, even for someone who isn't taking on a similar project.
seesquare
Posted 2015-02-09 3:09 PM (#505493 - in reply to #505484)

Typically, 2-part epoxy. I use the 1-hour-assembly type of adhesive. Alas, Age, Gravity & slowed motor functions. Consult the BFLG forum, for home remedies, & other conundrums. Welcome!
Reasley
Posted 2015-02-09 11:40 PM (#505512 - in reply to #505484)

I just happened to have a recent e-mail from John Budny about this very issue. First, my e-mail and then his response:

My e-mail:
"Good morning, John --

I was looking at my son's mid-90s Custom Legend super shallow body cutaway over the weekend and noticed that the top has separated from the body around the bottom corner for quite some distance. You can pull the top away from the bowl around a 1/4". The first thing that I did was release all string tension -- cannot believe that there appears to be no damage whatsoever other than just the separation.

I am assuming that glue is just placed intermittently around the bowl and not continuously because the surface of the top trim where it mates with the body appears to be very "clean."

Questions:

1) Does this repair require removal of the entire top or can it simply be injected with glue at the loose point?

2) Does the repair require continuous pressure around the bowl/top while the glue is setting?

3) is the repair a specialized repair that would be better performed at your place with your various special tools or can a local guitar tech do the repair?

4) If it can be done locally, do you have a glue recommendation that I can give the local tech since the bowl is not wood?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can provide!

Richard"

John Budny's response:
"Hi Richard,

We can repair it for you here if you want to send it. It can be glued back with a good quality epoxy and you could use tape to hold it together while drying.

John Budny
Customer Service Manager
Ovation, Guitars USA
37 Greenwoods Rd
New Hartford, CT 06057"

As it turned out, my guitar tech did the repair for $40. But he did say that,mlike all guitars, the top would eventually need to be removed and he wouldn't want to be the one doing it after using the epoxy. :-)
rusty999
Posted 2015-02-10 10:43 AM (#505518 - in reply to #505484)

Thanks for all the info guys. The only other consideration is what tape to use that will come away easily afterwards without destroying the finish. My friend who owns the instrument had it all taped up with Gaffa Tape and it made a right mess of the bowl when I removed it even though I was careful and tried heat etc etc. On the one hand the tape has to be really strong to hold down the top and on the other it has to be easily removed afterwards. I'm sure I will find something suitable though and Thanks again for all the tips
Rusty
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-02-10 12:30 PM (#505520 - in reply to #505484)

Blue Painter's Tape.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-02-10 12:35 PM (#505521 - in reply to #505518)

rusty999 - ...had it all taped up with Gaffa Tape and it made a right mess of the bowl...

yeah, prob'ly not the best idea. (imho)

How about trying elastic strapping instead of adhesive tape? ...large rubber bands or surgical tubing or bungie cord, etc.

also, maybe put a bit of cardboard or cloth at the edges between the strapping and top to help protect the finish.

Keep us posted on your results. 

Reasley
Posted 2015-02-10 7:20 PM (#505529 - in reply to #505521)

SOBeach - 2015-02-10 12:35 PM

rusty999 - ...had it all taped up with Gaffa Tape and it made a right mess of the bowl...

yeah, prob'ly not the best idea. (imho)

How about trying elastic strapping instead of adhesive tape? ...large rubber bands or surgical tubing or bungie cord, etc.

also, maybe put a bit of cardboard or cloth at the edges between the strapping and top to help protect the finish.

Keep us posted on your results. 

As with all things done at a factory repair facility (meaning numerous repetitive similar repairs for years), I would imagine that masking tape is the best solution to the problem or John would not have recommended it.  My *guess* is that the tape will not let the bowl slip even a little and may even hold the bowl a little tighter against the glue, though that may not be possible, depending on its stiffness. VRegardless, it's not a repair where you get a "do-over," so I would only use masking tape (or the blue painter's tape which is probably the same thing, though its adhesion may not be as strong).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)