The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Shipping Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Nancy
Posted 2015-01-27 8:15 PM (#505099)
Subject: Shipping Question

Newbie here, so if this has been previous discussed, sorry...

I was fortunate enough to find a Patriot that is in mint condition, and am So Excited to get it, however, I live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, and it can be below zero for weeks on end here. I have been on Ovation Aquisition Overload for a couple of months now (I have it bad!!!) and most of the guitars are arriving with finish cracks, it breaks my heart, as I have been finding some Incredible older Ovations.

I have asked the Seller to hold the Patriot until Spring to ship to me (yes, I will be climbing the walls until Spring, I am anyway!). Is there a Shipper I should suggest, or packing tricks, to get this precious cargo shipped safely???

I collect resin hand painted models too, and know to let the boxes warm up to room temp before opening the box, then wait for the packing material to come to room temp before removing the item, and did this with the guitars, but they still cracked.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Nancy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2015-01-27 8:45 PM (#505100 - in reply to #505099)
Subject: Re: Shipping Question

Shipping in the winter is fine as long as you let the package warm up slowly for 24 hours. Shippers seem to have equally distressing records in getting guitars to the destination with damage. Ideally have the guitar shipped next day air for the least amount of time in transit. Second day air would be good because it would eliminate a long road trip in a trailer. Those are expensive options unfortunately.

I would recommend loosening the strings and packing all the gaps inside the case with padding of some sort such as crumpled newspaper. Though I may be alone on this idea, removing the tuning machines may help prevent neck damage if the guitar is dropped flat on its back. For sure pack around the head stock.

Put the guitar in the hard case and then the hard case inside a guitar box. Boxes can be found free at guitar stores. Put some bubble wrap between the case and box.

The factory ships guitars tuned to pitch and no extra padding, but there is no harm in taking additional precautions.

Have the seller take photos of the entire process just in case an insurance claim has to be filed. The shipper will claim the guitar wasn't packed properly even if they run over it with their whole fleet of trucks.

You're going to love the Patriot! They are beautiful and they sound amazing.
Nick B.
Posted 2015-01-27 9:20 PM (#505101 - in reply to #505099)

FlySig pretty much covered everything I normally do, though I've never heard of removing the tuners (interesting idea...removing the added weight to the head stock makes sense). I've had lots of guitars shipped and have never had one damaged in shipping. I think it's all a crap shoot. Maybe I've been lucky. Buy your guitar, say a little prayer, do a shot of tequila, and hopefully everything will go your way. Enjoy your new guitar!
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-28 9:30 AM (#505103 - in reply to #505099)

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I was thinking about the Overnight or Next Day shipping too - These Patriots are hard to find, and one in showroom shape even more so. I think it would be well worth whatever the cost to send it overnight to avoid the bouncing and trouncing these seem to get in the trailers and trucks.

Thank You Very Much for your help!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-01-28 3:00 PM (#505107 - in reply to #505099)

It is all about the original packing.
So long as the sender supports the headstock with newspaper or bubble-wrap that should be fine.
The case should protect the guitar from sudden temperature changes.
With a little patience on the part of the receiver.
A well-packed guitar box, that sez "Guitar" on the box, should protect it.

BTW-- I hope that there are still places that give-away guitar boxes.
My experience lately is that greedy shops want $5-$15 for a box.
(yeah, it's the American way)
But a new box from U-Line is still about $10.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-28 3:08 PM (#505108 - in reply to #505099)

Oops. I just threw out a couple boxes when we moved.
alpep
Posted 2015-01-28 7:40 PM (#505116 - in reply to #505099)

not greedy just business
d'ovation
Posted 2015-01-28 9:05 PM (#505119 - in reply to #505099)

I got my last Ovation shipped to the Prairies about 2 years ago from Virginia so there was a huge temperature difference and it arrived without issues. However, I thinking about getting a woodbox with nitro lacquer where I would not be as confident that it survives the temperature as well as an Ovation finish.

Edited by d'ovation 2015-01-28 9:06 PM
FlySig
Posted 2015-01-29 10:11 AM (#505127 - in reply to #505099)

Where's the guitar being shipped from?
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-29 1:34 PM (#505132 - in reply to #505099)

The Patriot is being shipped from Massachusetts to Minnesota. They are not too far off in temps - at least we both are cold enough for snow. But I just got one from Florida and one from Nevada that had new finish cracks - long ones, that were not there before shipping, and both guitars were very well packed.

That is why I asked the Seller to hold the Patriot until Spring, at least even the odds for temperature. Now the shipping is another thing - but I am thinking that it would be worth it to spend the extra for 2 day, and avoid the on/off, on/off from truck to station, and extra handling issues. Any suggestions??? Thank you!
alpep
Posted 2015-01-30 7:18 AM (#505142 - in reply to #505099)

you must give the guitar at least 24 hours to get to temp.
first 12 in the box second 12 in the case out of the box.
I know it is tempting to just open it but from extreme temps it is best to do that.
also buy a hydrometer
it measures the moisture in the air. your home may be too dry and you need to humidify
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 8:56 AM (#505144 - in reply to #505099)

Thank You Al! I bought a Hydrometer and those new fangled Humid-paks from Planet Waves - I like the logic behind them, and the guy from Sweetwater told me that you could rehydrate them by putting them in tupperware or a plastic baggie with some water! It is extremely dry here in the homes in MN in the winters, and just like Florida or Georgia here in the summer with humidity, so that makes great sense!

I think too, just because this particular guitar is so important to me, I will send a hyrdometer and a set of the paks to the Seller and ask him to put them in the case with it now. I know it has been sitting in the case for many years (Thank Goodness!), but before setting off on it's new adventure, it sure couldn't hurt to bring the humidity levels up to something good. I will try anything to get it here safely and no cracks!!!

You all are so Wonderful with your help and insights! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise with me! Thank You!!
Nancy
FlySig
Posted 2015-01-30 10:12 AM (#505146 - in reply to #505099)

The finish on the Patriot is very thin, not the usual thick glossy stuff on other O's of that era. The thicker old finish seems quite prone to cracking, whereas the newer finish seems quite resistant. IDK exactly why but on the Patriot the bracing is visible through the top. Maybe the thinner finish, or the wood is thinner, maybe something about the glue? The Patriot is truly a uniquely beautiful looking and sounding guitar! When I got mine, I used my travel benefits (work in the airline industry) to go pick it up and hand carry it home. The other O's and A's I've had shipped, but I didn't dare let the Patriot get shipped.

Edited by FlySig 2015-01-30 10:14 AM
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 10:43 AM (#505147 - in reply to #505099)

Can I hug you FlySig???? You just gave me Hope that I can get this Grail home safely!!!!! With all the Great Suggestions from all of you, I am starting to think I can get her home safely. After waiting a couple of months to get her, it is going to be darned near impossible to wait 24 hours to open it up, but I Will Do It!!! This guitar means so much to me, and I would be devastated if it cracked, or something happened to it. So Thank you all for putting up with my obsessing and worrying!
FlySig
Posted 2015-01-30 10:48 AM (#505148 - in reply to #505147)

naellis58 - 2015-01-30 9:43 AM
So Thank you all for putting up with my obsessing and worrying!

Welcome to the asylum, where we all obsess and worry about our O's.
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 11:11 AM (#505150 - in reply to #505099)
Subject: RE: Shipping Question

LOL!!!! I can already see that I am going to Love being here!!!
I am going to try to post the picture of her:

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (43KB - 1 downloads)
tpa
Posted 2015-01-30 11:41 AM (#505151 - in reply to #505099)

Nice. Congratulations and welcome.
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 12:48 PM (#505153 - in reply to #505099)

Thank you Tpa! It is great being around so many other O Lovers!!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-30 3:39 PM (#505158 - in reply to #505099)

I saw in your gallery that you already have a 1657. It will be interesting to see if you notice a difference in the sound.
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 4:12 PM (#505159 - in reply to #505099)

Hi Mark!

If the Patriot sounds anywhere as nice as the 1657 I will be a very happy camper! That one is so sweet and soft. Easy to play and very easy on the eyes and ears! It was my 'Dream Guitar' way back when, so when I started looking for a Guitar again, I found that one and grabbed it up! I still open the case all the time just to see if it is still there and pinch myself!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-30 4:36 PM (#505161 - in reply to #505099)

I had a Patriot that I decided to save from a threatened refinish. The owner had 2, one with finish cracks, and was considering having the finish sanded off, which would have ruined the decal. I bought it instead and loved the sound. Possibly my best sounding Ovation. I sold it to another member to raise some money for a donation to a worth cause. It must be something about the nutmeg finish, because I love the sound of the Patriots, 1651s and John Lennon reissues.
Nancy
Posted 2015-01-30 5:35 PM (#505162 - in reply to #505099)

I am glad you saved the Patriot! I can't wait to play it.
My bad on the 1657, it is actually a 1157 Anniversary, sorry about that!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)