The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
A Question for Members that play Guitar AND Bass

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

muzza
Posted 2013-09-10 10:05 PM (#474658 - in reply to #474541)
Subject: Re: A Question for Members that play Guitar AND Bass

No Steve. Solid State vs Solid State. No experience with tube bass amps.

Only the 5W harmonica amp that I build for myself.

Maybe I should build a tube bass amp next? (You wouldn't have a schematic for the Sunn would you?)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muzza
Posted 2013-09-10 10:06 PM (#474659 - in reply to #474541)

"BUILT"...
stephent28
Posted 2013-09-11 12:58 AM (#474662 - in reply to #474541)

No, but there are a few websites dedicated to Sunn (like the OFC) and I think I remember a few of them that had schematics for some of the old Conrad Sundholm designs (before Fender bought and destroyed them with their horrible reissues).
muzza
Posted 2013-09-11 3:16 AM (#474665 - in reply to #474541)

OK, we've established that they're loud, but what about the tonal qualities?

My only knowledge of valve amps is for getting that dirty Chicago Blues sound from my harp amp - which it accomplishes very successfully - and is incredibly loud for only 8 watts. A lot of harp players use a Fender Bassman for blues harp. So I'm thinking out loud, they must have a dirty sound when cranked up?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I figure its still relevant to the OP.)
stephent28
Posted 2013-09-11 11:34 AM (#474673 - in reply to #474541)

Actually one of the appeals of Sunn for bass players is that they could get extremely loud while maintaining a clean tone. The Model T was a total beast from a loudness standpoint but was also extremely clean. Lessor Powered amps from Sunn would be the SOLARUS, SORADO, and I believe there was at least one more along those same designs. Used versions in good working shape command premium prices.

IMO a feature of Fender amps is the way they break up and get their signature distorted sound. That is one reason Bassman amps are preferred by a lot guitarist.

So, I think tubes for bass can be clean or dirty but they produce a big fat wooly sound that SS just does not completely emulate.
fillhixx
Posted 2013-09-11 4:13 PM (#474683 - in reply to #474541)

One other point, on hearing yourself while playing.

Get further away from the amp and/or tilt it up. Bass frequencies act different and seem to stand out more at a distance than they do up close. JMO?
Damon67
Posted 2013-09-11 4:14 PM (#474684 - in reply to #474541)

I came very close to being a bass player over guitar. Hanging right next to the Preacher and UKII at Starland Music in Alameda was a Magnum IV. I was in complete awe of the thing... the graphic EQ, the pickups, the monster bridge, and the cool elongated shape. Man, was it a sexybitch! But I had my mind made up beforehand to play guitar. 

Later in life I saw one on Alpep's lostartvintage.com and decided 30 years of waiting was enough. I think that was the first time I rattled off a card number to Al. The guitar is pristine. I don't think it had ever been played.

I love goofin' on my Magnum IV and have a Peavey or 2 as well. If you're open to used, the Magnum is awesome. The Peavey T40 is an awesome American made bass from the same era and usually more affordable in the 400-500 range. If you're just starting off on bass, I wouldn't get too crazy with the amp, but a good ol' cheap standard is the Peavey TNT and you can usually find 'em on your local Craigslist.

I also dig playing my Longneck tuned down to B (and sometimes droppedA), but that's another topic.

Oh... and for some killer bass leads, using chords, hammer-on/pull-offs, etc. have a listen to Stu Hamm

Edited by Damon67 2013-09-11 4:20 PM
muzza
Posted 2013-09-11 7:35 PM (#474690 - in reply to #474541)

Fill, that's what the compressor does.
fillhixx
Posted 2013-09-12 12:01 AM (#474699 - in reply to #474541)

..........well, I'm not,an expert. I just play one on the interweb.
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-09-12 6:43 PM (#474751 - in reply to #474548)
Subject: RE: A Question for Members that play Guitar AND Bass

DaveKell - The bass is a powerful role to play. If you falter, as I did a few times losing my place in the music, one by one everybody else begins dropping out of playing. You are a partner with the drummer in keeping the tempo of the music consistent, but you are the melodic one of the two so others tend to hang on your root note to keep their time. At times, playing bass is magical in a big ensemble. The time of the piece flows through what you provide.

This is an interesting thread.  Great comments from both Dave and Stephen.  BTW Dave did develop into a much more than passable bassist, but then he had an excellent drummer to work with!  ;-)  And Stephen is one of the best bassists I have played with.  None of that popping and squawking, just solid time, tasteful support, and the occasional gem that makes me giggle so hard I have to quit singing.

stellarjim
Posted 2013-09-13 7:51 PM (#474876 - in reply to #474541)

Changing the topic slightly, what is the advantage of a fretless bass over a fretted bass? On the surface, it seems like it would be much more difficult to play. But I see a lot of them and wanted to try to understand why anyone would want one.
stephent28
Posted 2013-09-13 11:07 PM (#474894 - in reply to #474541)

A fretless will give you a good approximation of an AUB or an EUB and depending on the neck wood can give you the MWAAAHH sound or just a good ole thump.

The reason it is difficult is for the reasons I stated in an earlier response....most people don't fret it properly and therefore the notes sound sharp or flat. The proper place to play a fretless is on top of where the fretwire would be and NOT in the middle of the fret like you would typically play a fretted bass. Also tends to freak people out if they do not have a visual where to place their fingers.
stellarjim
Posted 2013-09-14 1:47 PM (#474921 - in reply to #474541)

Stephen: Check out this fretless bass guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-AC40F-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-Lined-F...

Wouldn't this be an easy fretless to learn on. The "frets" are just lines on the neck...not actual fret wire.
stephent28
Posted 2013-09-14 6:55 PM (#474960 - in reply to #474541)

Actually Jim that is the type of bass I was referring to...that people play incorrectly.
If you bought that bass ( or any other like it) , you would assume that proper finger placement would be just like a regular bass and play the note on the dot between the two frets....

And you would assume incorrectly and wonder why you never sounded quite in tune

If you need visual aids there is certainly nothing wrong with a lined bass but you would want to play it on the lines and not the dots.

Keeping in the Ovation line of thinking I have a Magnum Fretless bass with fret lines I would be happy to sell you. Excellent shape and has that great MWAAAH sound that you want in a fretless.
DaveKell
Posted 2013-09-15 7:54 AM (#474981 - in reply to #474921)

stellarjim - 2013-09-14 1:47 PM

Stephen: Check out this fretless bass guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-AC40F-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-Lined-F...

Wouldn't this be an easy fretless to learn on. The "frets" are just lines on the neck...not actual fret wire.

Confusing specs. The header says fretless, but specs from factory say "medium jumbo frets"? The pic looks fretted. Most fretless basses have lines without much contrast to the fretboard?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)