The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Recording of an old standard

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2013-05-21 12:28 PM (#470719)
Subject: New Recording of an old standard

Most of you know that I primarily play in church now. As such, I often wind up working out new arrangements for traditional pieces. I stumbled on this one as I was working on something else entirely. (I think it was The Mary Ellen Carter by Stan Rogers. )

Anyway, I wound out shooting for something introspective and prayerful, so if you haven't deduced that it's religious, well now you know. 

I hope folks like it. It can be dangerous messing with classics in any genre.

How Great Thou Art

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dobro
Posted 2013-05-21 10:10 PM (#470739 - in reply to #470719)
Subject: Re: New Recording of an old standard

Nice work, Patch. I can relate very closely: in the early 1980s I was pretty serious about a gal who got me involved in their "roots" evangelical community in Syracuse (Greater Love; Pastor B. Lott). They had recently lost their soulful black accompanist and were desperate. So Andrea says "G. here plays guitar." Anyway, I was recruited and given the standard Hymnal with piano notation. I spent countless hours transcribing and trying to figure out a sort-of Gospel approach to six-string steel. Keith Jarrett happens to be a hero, and if you know his early work there's A LOT of great gospel riffing there. Anyway, the mixed-race congregation put up with me for two years: alone up there with my 1117 Legend jerry-rigged with a sound-hole pickup, played through a Roland JC..... Looking back on the effort I give a B-. Loved the tunes: "What a Friend," "This is the Day" "A Mighty Fortress" "Joy of Man's Desiring" "Amazing Grace" "Old Rugged Cross" etc etc
Oowasa
Posted 2013-05-21 10:21 PM (#470740 - in reply to #470719)

I think you did a great job. Offeratory, background for communion, etc, would work. Contemporary enough to draw the interest of the younger attendees but has enough if the old standard that you won't lose or put off the old guard . I like it! Well done!
twistedlim
Posted 2013-05-24 6:43 PM (#470891 - in reply to #470719)

Awesome Patch!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)