The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
A fix for the 'round back roll' when you stand up and play...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Damon67
Posted 2013-05-22 1:28 PM (#470770)
Subject: A fix for the 'round back roll' when you stand up and play...

I've tried the 'Standing Ovation', moving the strap button, adjusting the strap length, etc, but nothing's seemed to work when playing a round back live (contour bowls excluded).

But now I've figured it out... LOSE WEIGHT!

I'm down nearly 40 pounds in the last 8 weeks. Seems to be working.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-05-22 1:40 PM (#470772 - in reply to #470770)
Subject: RE: A fix for the 'round back roll' when you stand up and play...

damon67 - 2013-05-22 11:28 AM

I'm down nearly 40 pounds in the last 8 weeks. Seems to be working.

Dude... Eat Something! You're gonna wither-away to nothing.
And then you'll need to buy a new wardrobe.

(I gotta lose about that too)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-05-22 2:15 PM (#470775 - in reply to #470770)
Subject: Re: A fix for the 'round back roll' when you stand up and play...

Politically correct guy that I am, I tried to keep my mouth shut. Not. I always thought that the contour bowl was just a concession to the American obesity epidemic. Congratulations, Damon. I know how tough it is for you to resist that Syrah. I'll see if I can match you and lose 5 in the next week. Then I'll think about the next 5. I've got a niece who has lost over 100 and is just realizing how incredible it is that she gained so much that she could lose 100 pounds and still have more to go.
You'll find that those deep bowls are the most comfortable guitar out there to match that great sound.
muzza
Posted 2013-05-22 5:28 PM (#470782 - in reply to #470770)

Conversely, one of the reasons for me passing on my beloved '05C to a new adoring owner was because I wanted to start performing standing up. I just couldn't find a sweet spot so the ridge didn't dig into my ribs. 

Bobbo suggested hanging it lower, but just I couldn't play it down there. 

I've never really had a problem with the deep bowl roundbacks - either sitting or standing. 

But then, I'm just a (relatively) skinny Aussie. 

muzza
Posted 2013-05-22 5:30 PM (#470783 - in reply to #470770)

I just re-read my post and there's a LOT of scope for smutty innuendo in there.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-05-22 5:42 PM (#470784 - in reply to #470783)

muzza - 2013-05-22 4:30 PM

I just re-read my post and there's a LOT of scope for smutty innuendo in there.

Bob must be sleeping.

I had the same problem when I first tried out a contour bowl. It cut into my ribs. My daughter tried it and said it obviously wasn't designed for a woman. I've since put on a few pounds and they fit better. A flat back guitar is worse. I have a crease cut into my chest for hours after playing one. Looks like someone slashed me with a sword.

Edited by Mark in Boise 2013-05-22 5:44 PM
rick endres
Posted 2013-05-24 2:52 PM (#470878 - in reply to #470770)

Okay - the obvious question, Damon - how did you do it? That's wonderful! I've been waging the Battle of the Bulge most of my life. I've probably lost 1400 lbs. and put 1500 lbs. back on. I'm looking for a sane, sensible way that doesn't involve walking 26 miles a day. I just don't have that kind of time.

And before I forget - congratulations!
Damon67
Posted 2013-05-24 3:30 PM (#470882 - in reply to #470770)

Ideal Protein

I don't know about sane or sensible. I'm at 800-900 calories a day, mostly low glycemic veggies with a bunch of lean protein foods (many that are bought as part of the program) as well. Oh, and lots of vitamin supplements. The program's designed to put you in ketosis, and with no carbs available to suck up, get you burning fat like a mo-fo.

No coffee preferred, but they'll bend and say one is ok, no sugar whatsoever, 1 ounce of milk allowed per day (skim). Tomatoes or green beans only permitted twice/wk. You can eat all the celery you want...oh boy!

Like you I don't usually have the time for a regular workout regiment. You don't really eat enough calories to work out anyway. I do quite a bit of work around the house and in the yard, so I wouldn't say I just sit around either, especially in these warmer months.

There are future phases that'll introduce me back to regular foods in a maintenance sort of mode.

There were tons of great reviews with people losing and keeping it off, so I went with it.
rick endres
Posted 2013-05-24 3:37 PM (#470883 - in reply to #470770)

Keeping it off is the trick, but one step at a time. That's quite an accomplishment. Round backs and round bellies don't mix - lol! I wear my guitar high, so it's not a big issue, but I'd like to get the weight off for good.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-05-24 4:27 PM (#470885 - in reply to #470770)

That sounds worse than walking 26 miles a day. Damon knows I don't have a weight problem, but after I turned 50 I found out I could easily get there. I quickly gained about 30 pounds when I quit playing soccer. I lost about half of that, but I really have to work to keep it there. I try to cut back if I gain 5, but a couple of beers, or a meal of the stuff that I really like to eat will put me over the top. It does get harder to keep the weight off as you get older.
Darkbar
Posted 2013-05-24 5:09 PM (#470886 - in reply to #470770)

I'm 56, 6' tall, weigh 160 lbs, eat everything in front of me. I eat ALL DAY. I can wear the same clothes that I wore in college. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't really know. But I'm told that I "start my oven burning 1st thing in the morning, and it burns everything I eat the rest of the day." That's from a nutritionist, btw.
Here's my deal...
I start the day off with a glass of water, then a cup of coffee.
Then a bowl of oatmeal and a banana with a glass of water
About an hour later I have an egg sandwich with ham and cheese
An hour and a half later I have lunch (turkey sandwich/ Chinese food/ personal pizza, etc)
4 pm- blue corn chips or goldfish
5 pm- a couple of beers
6:30- dinner (whatever the beautiful wife cooks, protein, starch, veggies. For example: grilled chicken, rice, black beans, asparagus, maybe Caesar salad)
9 pm- maybe some yogurt or a few handfulls of dry cereal like honeynut cheerios
Bed
(notice: there's not a whole lot of crap in there...well maybe the beer and chips, but by then I'm burning everything I eat)

I know so many "overweight" people that skip breakfast (the most important meal of the day to get your metabolism going) or maybe eat a couple of donuts, eat crap all day, eat a huge dinner at night, supplemented with high calorie b.s. for dessert, then go to bed. Then they wonder why they can't seem to lose weight. I got tired of telling people what they were doing wrong. People just want to eat crap, that's the bottom line.

I eat a LOT, and very often.....but if you notice, no CRAP! No chocolate cake, cokes, candy, pie. I fill my "oven" up, and it all burns off.
stephent28
Posted 2013-05-24 5:14 PM (#470887 - in reply to #470770)

Never had a problem with deep bowls or contour bowls.
I'm just short of 6'1" and tend to float around 205 to 210.

When my pants start to get snug and I switch to my fat pants, I just immediately reduce my meals to 1/2 of what I would normally eat. This tends to leave me Hungary but I don't have to worry about what I eat...just how much. Always works to where I lose a couple pounds a week until I get back down to my normal range.
Darkbar
Posted 2013-05-24 5:27 PM (#470888 - in reply to #470887)

Incidentally, my wife, who was overweight in high school before I met her, does just about the same thing I do.
Her stats....
Age 52, 5'5", 115 lbs
Eats pretty much anything she want to. Doesn't eat crap.
muzza
Posted 2013-05-24 6:10 PM (#470889 - in reply to #470770)

I've never been 'fat' per SE, but I've been an unhealthy weight for my build. 

A friend at work was on a diet very similar to Damons and I bit the bullet and started following it. 

I was pretty obsessed with it for the first 2 months. Even sailed through the Christmas period - passing on the various desserts with surprising resilience. But in the end, if you've got young kids and a partner that doesnt share your obsession, it gets too limiting.

Then I watched 2 VERY interesting videos. 'Hungry For Change' was a life changer for me. It was an education in the evils of sugar and, to a lesser extent, carbohydrates. 

Another one to watch, purely for the inspirational aspect is (something like...) 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead'. (Not sure of the exact title)

The lo carb/hi protein diet, those movies and a lot of research revealed something I've known for decades... it's all about moderation - and trying to eliminate processed sugar. Fructose is OK if its in fruit, but if its been extracted by processing, the liver doesn't know how to deal with it. Don't need todrop carbs. Just limit (or eliminate) the high GI ones.

I'm down to around my ideal weight. Eat pretty much what I want in moderation. And discovered how to make interesting, tasty and SATISFYING salads. Last October, I'd be lucky if I ate 2 salads in the same week. Now I have them every day at work, and they're always different, and I'm always satisfied. 

Walking 26 miles and not changing what and how you eat won't make you skinny. It'll make you a fit fat person. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)