The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
UKII Bridge PU cutting out when string touches ??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

CKKeller
Posted 2012-07-06 12:30 PM (#456240)
Subject: UKII Bridge PU cutting out when string touches ??

Hey Guys ..

On my black UKII the bridge PU cuts out completely whenever I pluck hard and any string comes in physical contact with the rails or the pickup housing ... the neck PU doesn't do this .... Anyone have any clues to a quick fix, or do I have to take the PU out and work on it?

Chris Keller
Top of the page Bottom of the page
standing
Posted 2012-07-06 3:51 PM (#456244 - in reply to #456240)
Subject: Re: UKII Bridge PU cutting out when string touches ??

A really quick fix would be to lower the pickup a little. It shouldn't be high enough for the strings to hit anyway. You can lower either side, or both. You adjust the distance from the strings by turning the (middle) screws on each side of the pickup.

As to why it's cutting out, I'll let the more expert electronics guys reply, but for now, have you checked the wiring to be sure everything is solidly connected?

Edited by standing 2012-07-06 4:03 PM
CKKeller
Posted 2012-07-07 9:18 PM (#456288 - in reply to #456244)

Thanks, I did that already .. but I recently put a set of .08's on it to try out, and I'm liking the feel ... and with a lighter gauge string set, I'd like to get the pu as close as possible. The pu's seem to be made for close adjustment ... they are made with rails curved to match the 10 degree radius of the neck, and they're also made to have low magnetic pull ..

The pickup also has a lot of hum whenever I rest my hand on it ... I'm thinking it might be some sort of grounding problem, or maybe the hot lead might be nicked where it goes into the pu casing ...
standing
Posted 2012-07-08 4:01 PM (#456332 - in reply to #456240)

I was thinking it might be a ground issue also… (but I'm really reluctant to offer suggestions based on my hit-or-miss method of diagnosing such problems.)

There are many folks here who are much more knowledgable about electronics than I am, hopefully one of them will chime in with suggestions soon?

Once you resolve the pickup problem, you might not like the sound of the .08's as much as using slightly heavier strings on the UKII anyway. I think you have to sacrifice too much of the unique UKII tone and sustain by going that light, but ymmv…

Good luck, hope you get it working properly again soon…
Damon67
Posted 2012-07-08 8:13 PM (#456343 - in reply to #456240)

I had the same thing going on with a pickup on an Ovation PF22. It was similar to a UKII pickup with the rails. I have no idea why, I just made sure it was low enough not to touch stings. Didn't have any hums though.

Sorry, I know it's not any help on the fix, but you're not alone with that issue.
CKKeller
Posted 2012-07-09 5:50 AM (#456362 - in reply to #456240)

It took me a long time to even really notice it. It doesn't hum all the time, just with high gain. The .08s are an experiment, I usually play .09 or .010s, but I'm getting a bit older now (49) and have some stiffness in my fingers, so I'm investigating the Billy Gibbons approach. :-)
kitmann
Posted 2012-07-12 1:58 AM (#456508 - in reply to #456240)

Hey Keller on my UKll, Viper and Preacher I use 11's that way I'm getting more metal over the pups. on Acoustics I use 12's. This approach for me is I can go from acoustic to electric or vise versa and there is not that much difference in playing. I hope you find an answer soon. I know my UKll is the best guitar buy I have ever made. The UKll has such a great full sound with 11's but I play rhythm and some fill in leads, but If I can do it on my acoustic I can do on my electrics. If you went to the 11's you can always drop the tuning and use a capo. Just an Idea.
CKKeller
Posted 2012-07-12 11:33 AM (#456514 - in reply to #456240)

Actually, I just discovered something handy ... yesterday I tried a Danelectro equalizer directly after the guitar into my pedal board .. it let me boost the tone to where the .08's now sound a lot like .010's ... :-)
kitmann
Posted 2012-07-14 3:51 AM (#456553 - in reply to #456240)

There you go easy fix. Good luck brother
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)