The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
FedEx broken neck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Waskel
Posted 2010-07-23 11:17 PM (#367728 - in reply to #367703)
Subject: Re: FedEx broken neck

Oops, meant own.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ksdaddy
Posted 2010-07-24 9:52 PM (#367729 - in reply to #367703)

Getting closer. I can't make the old crack disappear completely so I will accidentally spray just a tish of black and extend the sunburst a little, then clearcoat with spray polyurethane. I will spray the whole back of the neck, which I sanded with 400. I hope it sticks and stays.

Jonmark Stone
Posted 2010-07-24 11:48 PM (#367730 - in reply to #367703)

Being a lurker on your website... I knew you would do this yourself. Great job. And I think you're on the right track extending the burst a bit. Instead of black paint, have you considered tinted nitro.
I have sprayed nitro over the indestructo catalyzed O stuff, btw, with no nasty side effects. Clears would age differently but tinted nitro in this small area, should be cool for the long run.
Spray and buff out. Likely wouldn't need to overcoat. Something to think about anyway.
Again, nice work.
ksdaddy
Posted 2010-07-25 7:11 AM (#367731 - in reply to #367703)

I do have a variety of Stew Mac stain concentrates. The darkest I have is medium brown, which can be pretty dark if sprayed heavy enough. The only lacquer I have on hand is Minwax brushing lacquer, which I've used in the airbrush for years with good results. My big concern is it sticking to the old finish.

In sanding it last night I was surprised to find it powdered up a lot, like a finish on an import. Great stuff to work with as far as buffing, etc, I'm just concerned about an overcoat peeling or having a seam where the old meets the new.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2010-07-25 3:58 PM (#367732 - in reply to #367703)

I have a headstock face oversprayed with nitro 20 years ago. No adhesion issues. I also had an entire neck oversprayed with clear nitro for nearly 30 years. Also no issues other than typical lacquer yellowing.
Might consider one of the Stew-Mac tinted aerosol cans for this job. I've used those with excellent results.
Hope that helps.
WillaMuse
Posted 2010-07-26 4:55 PM (#367733 - in reply to #367703)

I don't know KS ... I pulled that neck photo (the one the seller sent you showing it from the back). It looks suspcious to tell you the truth; those 'artifacts' I see went I do adjustments in curves, etc., seem to concide with the cracks on the neck. Hmmmm.... shady.

The good news to read is that you are doing a fine job repairing it, which I am not surprised about. I can hardly wait to see the end result!

Good luck!

;)
Willa
WillaMuse
Posted 2010-07-26 5:14 PM (#367734 - in reply to #367703)

What I meant to type was that I "pulled the neck into Photoshop" to lighten it and get a close look at it.

Couldn't go back in time to edit it; sorry.

;)
Willa
ksdaddy
Posted 2010-07-26 6:37 PM (#367735 - in reply to #367703)

I airbrushed some lacquer loaded heavy with medium brown, then a couple thin coats of clear. I need to buff it out by hand but I've got to psyche up for it or I won't do a good job.

Hard to say about the seller. I emailed him (not nasty) and said, hey the guitar arrived but the neck was snapped in half... he replied that he would put in a claim with fedex, and emailed again saying he had done so. He went on to say Fedex would need to see the box, blah blah blah. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them, and it doesn't matter anyway, I'd be fighting a losing battle. It seems to be coming out well after all.
BigJ
Posted 2010-07-26 6:44 PM (#367736 - in reply to #367703)

It's looking good! I'm glad you're putting it back together.

That being said and I know you are fighting a loosing battle with the seller, but it sure seems like this neck had "issues" before you got it. It looks to me that there is an issue right at the spot of the crack in his photo (at the red arrow) you can see in the glare that something looks to be "not right" the glare angle looks weird.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2010-07-26 9:09 PM (#367737 - in reply to #367703)

Very nice job KS.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2010-07-27 9:32 AM (#367738 - in reply to #367703)

You're doing a beautiful job on the finish, KS. Way to go.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)