The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Adamas SMT Carbon Fiber Acoustic Ruby Top

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

api4u
Posted 2008-03-30 1:00 AM (#305383)
Subject: Ovation Adamas SMT Carbon Fiber Acoustic Ruby Top

Click for slideshow: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...view=slideshow

This is a GREAT DEAL on a beautiful instrument!
Ruby Graphite top, Mid-Depth Cutaway, with Unidirectional Carbon Fiber. Hand-rubbed urethane oil finished neck with ebony fretboard.
Ebony - pinless bridge.
Multi-piece Exotic Hardwood Rosette.
Gold Ovation tuners.
Ovation HS Case.
Retail Price: $2,199.00
Optima preamp. Lo-Z balanced XLR output in addition to the 1/4" Hi-Z output. On-board digital chromatic tuner for open or non- standard tunings.

My price: $950 shipped ConUS if paid USPS MO
$980 shipped ConUS if paid with PayPal
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-03-30 6:02 AM (#305384 - in reply to #305383)
Subject: Re: Ovation Adamas SMT Carbon Fiber Acoustic Ruby Top

I've got the matching 12 string if anyone wants to make it a set.
nonis
Posted 2008-03-30 9:48 AM (#305385 - in reply to #305383)

Why are you selling?
api4u
Posted 2008-03-30 3:54 PM (#305386 - in reply to #305383)

Sorry, the link to the slideshow did not work - here's a repaired link:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v375/api4u/Ovation%20Adamas%20SMT...

Thanks, Steve
api4u
Posted 2008-03-30 4:00 PM (#305387 - in reply to #305383)

Originally posted by nonis:
Why are you selling?
I'm mostly an electric player, and it's not getting enough use, mainly. I hate to see this beautiful instrument gathering dust.... so-ooo-ooo... have at it :)
I've tried to price it to sell quickly, as I'm gathering cash in my war-chest for a couple of other bigger purchases in the near future, so someone should jump on this one. In answer to a few questions re: trades - if the right thing came along, I'd probably jump on it, but mostly I'm wanting to cash it out.
Thanks for the comments, and good luck,
Steve
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-03-31 2:19 PM (#305388 - in reply to #305383)

How does the mid-bowl depth compare with an SSB?
api4u
Posted 2008-03-31 7:09 PM (#305389 - in reply to #305383)

api4u
Posted 2008-03-31 7:10 PM (#305390 - in reply to #305383)

Sorry, I couldn't really offer an educated opinion - I've only had this model, probably about a '99 or so, and an '81 or '82 Anniversary Legend, somewhere along in there. I haven't tried enough Ovations and Adamas's to say - maybe someone else can chime in here for you.
Steve
knuckles
Posted 2008-03-31 7:42 PM (#305391 - in reply to #305383)

Man, that is a pretty thing. Matches my pickup (truck) and scooter. Too bad I've already spent all my money. :(
By the way, is that an outside battery box (next to the pre-amp)?
knuckles
prairiedog
Posted 2008-03-31 11:45 PM (#305392 - in reply to #305383)

The preamp is an Optima, and that is a battery box.
api4u
Posted 2008-04-01 9:13 AM (#305393 - in reply to #305383)

Originally posted by knuckles:
Man, that is a pretty thing. Matches my pickup (truck) and scooter. Too bad I've already spent all my money. :(
By the way, is that an outside battery box (next to the pre-amp)?
knuckles
prairiedog is correct - the battery is for the preamp. It's a separate compartment from the preamp, so you only pull the battery clip out to change power; you have to pull the whole preamp assembly on some models, but not this one. Another sweet feature is the XLR jack - with phantom power engaged at the main mixer board, the battery is disengaged, since the guitar then pulls power from the main mixer board. If you play live a lot, this REALLY saves on batteries. All the preamp features, and the tuner still work, in this mode, and the sound reproduction is crystal clear - much better than using a direct box to go back to the main mixer. It's a great feature - I almost always use this method, when going live.
I should point out that it has BOTH an XLR and a 1/4" phone output, so you can use a regular 1/4", like almost every other guitar out there, or go direct, with the XLR. The XLR can be used with or without phantom power. If the mixer board you're plugging into doesn't have phantom power, the battery and preamp still work fine. The battery only disengages when you either unplug the instrument cable, to save power, or when it sees phantom power (or you can switch it off, of course, on the preamp).
This is the most feature-laden, best sounding, pretty piece of acoustic I've had, and believe me, I've got some gear ;)
Steve
murph
Posted 2008-04-01 5:58 PM (#305394 - in reply to #305383)

I was given this exact guitar as a gift from a girlfriend when I was living in Florida-about 6 years ago. I fell prey to the occupational hazards of the lifestyle of a full-time musician and had to sell it. (BTW I'm OK now)

Man, if I was a little more solvent I'd pick this up if nothing more than old times sake. Probably not a good idea though as I'm getting married in 2 weeks to another, wonderful woman. It might be hard to explain.

I remember it to be a great sounding guitar, equally as great as a top-end Takemine which I still play. The finish is absolutely gorgeous, and it played and sounded great on stage. I remember it being a "Tight" sound, not boomy. Good for leads.
api4u
Posted 2008-04-01 7:04 PM (#305395 - in reply to #305383)

Originally posted by murph:
I was given this exact guitar as a gift from a girlfriend when I was living in Florida-about 6 years ago. I fell prey to the occupational hazards of the lifestyle of a full-time musician and had to sell it. (BTW I'm OK now)

Man, if I was a little more solvent I'd pick this up if nothing more than old times sake. Probably not a good idea though as I'm getting married in 2 weeks to another, wonderful woman. It might be hard to explain.

I remember it to be a great sounding guitar, equally as great as a top-end Takemine which I still play. The finish is absolutely gorgeous, and it played and sounded great on stage. I remember it being a "Tight" sound, not boomy. Good for leads.
Murph,
Yeah, you better hold off - a pairing to a good woman is much more important .... well, some days... :D
In fact, I am mostly a lead player, which was one thing that attracted me to the guitar. It's got some of the best action of any acoustic I've played, with the exception of a couple Taylor's that played more like electrics, due to the thin neck widths, but didn't have the tight full bottom end that this one does. Tuning is abso-friggin-lutely stable on this guitar.... I can store it for a year, pick it up, and it's like I just set it down; play a heavy gig set, re-tune, and it's already there....
... better be carefull - I'm going to talk myself out of selling it, and I need to do just that... :(
Hope after your life settles down to it's wonderful normal pace that you're able to find another one like this - it's truly a great rig. Best of luck in your newly wedded life!
Steve
murph
Posted 2008-04-01 7:25 PM (#305396 - in reply to #305383)

Thanks for the good wishes Steve, if you still have the guitar around in a couple of months " I'll enquire about it again, but at that price, I'm sure it wont last. Its a hell of a guitar for $950.
api4u
Posted 2008-04-01 10:38 PM (#305397 - in reply to #305383)

Originally posted by murph:
Thanks for the good wishes Steve, if you still have the guitar around in a couple of months " I'll enquire about it again, but at that price, I'm sure it wont last. Its a hell of a guitar for $950.
Murph,
Email me, if you want to check on it later, at api4u@comcast.net . Who knows what'll become of her? At this point I'm getting tons of trade offers, but I prefer to cash it out, so it may still be available. Just give me a holler, sometime after you've built up lots of favor points with the new Missus.
Steve
api4u
Posted 2008-04-03 8:42 AM (#305398 - in reply to #305383)

Still hangin' - probably heading to e-Bay next week.
api4u
Posted 2008-04-04 9:23 AM (#305399 - in reply to #305383)

Bump
api4u
Posted 2008-04-05 1:07 AM (#305400 - in reply to #305383)

Model #1597 RG
api4u
Posted 2008-04-05 10:08 AM (#305401 - in reply to #305383)

A little bump action.
api4u
Posted 2008-04-05 3:50 PM (#305402 - in reply to #305383)

Just to follow up on a couple of questions I've received:
This is the professional model. It's the real deal - it's in no way, shape or form a "Celebrity". Banish the thought - they only "look" similar - other than that it's like comparing a $200 "Strat-pack" guitar/amp combo to a 1956 Strat, or a Custom-Shop model.
It's a mid-depth bowl. Great balance across the board, and up and down the neck. Not too boomy; good, full tight bass, and good treble projection. Good action w/o buzz.
Good woody tone - no sterile mechanical science fiction twang, here.
I'm the original owner, purchased new in 1999.
Model 1597-RG
Here's a link to GC's current rendition of it - it's essentially the same as when I purchased this one, other than some preamp changes. Note their MSRP is $2979! You can buy three of mine, almost, for the price I'm looking for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Adamas-1...85-i1148163.gc
Check out Harmony-Central's reviews for "Adamas", "Ovation SMT" and "Ovation Adamas 1597" for input from some of the other owners.

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)