The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Has Anyone Else Seen a Medallion ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-11-11 5:59 PM (#232093)
Subject: Has Anyone Else Seen a Medallion ?

My first Ovation was a "Medallion" it has model 1132 just like the Martix. There appearently was a problem using the name Medallion. I could have missed it, but I have yet to see anyone mention this guitar. I've never seen on eBay, never seen another one like it.

In this picture you can see the "Medallion" logo on the headstock and the Ovation sticker in the bowl. It was purchased in 1975ish from an Ovation dealer in Connecticut by me.

Ovation Medallion

cwk2 filled me in on the name change/reason, but now that we've been here for 5 years, and I've been on ebay since the beginning, ya-whudda-thunk I'd have seen at least one other one, but I haven't.

Here is the story of the Celebrity, Matrix and Medallion .

Anyone have any idea's??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-11-11 6:03 PM (#232094 - in reply to #232093)
Subject: Re: Has Anyone Else Seen a Medallion ?

not other than a couple of posts about it a few years ago....
Beal
Posted 2006-11-12 8:00 PM (#232095 - in reply to #232093)

I've seen thousands of them. Of course, that was back in the late 70's......
S Triggs
Posted 2006-12-20 10:44 AM (#232096 - in reply to #232093)

I've got a friend who has a 1975 Medallion 1132-4.
It'a a pretty "Plain Jane" guitar with a natural finish. Retail back then was about $250 with an extra $90 for the tan hardshell case. This one's in good condition. I'd be curious to know "ballpark" what this instrument is worth.
noah
Posted 2006-12-20 3:06 PM (#232097 - in reply to #232093)

Originally posted by S Triggs:
I'd be curious to know "ballpark" what this instrument is worth.
whatever the next guy or gal will pay :)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-12-21 2:50 AM (#232098 - in reply to #232093)

S Triggs, no idea what it's worth, but it is interesting that as cwk2 mentions there were 1000's of them, and we've seen pretty much every other Ovation model, including one-off's on eBay or elsewhere over the years, but so far, the one you mention is the only other one I now know of besides mine.

The same can be said for most of the Ovation Amplification line. I have seen some pretty odd stuff on eBay and craigslist, but to not see the tons of amps, speakers, combos, mics, etc... just seems odd. I think, like my Medallion, people that own the gear just aren't going to give it up.

My Medallion is beat. Worn frets, finish cracks, etc etc... but it still plays and sounds great.
noah
Posted 2006-12-21 3:41 AM (#232099 - in reply to #232093)

Miles, In all of our members' collective travels, I would think that there would be more sightings of the gear you refer to. Could the majority of it be buried in landfills?

Back in college, once a year we were told to dispose of the stockpiles of unused and broken gear accumulated back stage and in storage cages. If it wasn't working, it ended up in the dumpster.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-12-21 4:20 AM (#232100 - in reply to #232093)

Noah on some level I guess that's possible, but on the other hand, look at some of the guitars I have turned up in my collection. An Applause COPY of an Ultra GS. How many Ultra GP's did we see BEFORE the Josh Homme frenzy (I knew of several). The Slotheads, the Bluebirds, The PF-22's, the double-neck Boston Preacher, some really oddball Amps, The Thunderbolt, Limited, The Condor, the Ovation Midi Module, etc.

My point is, we have seen in most cases several examples of the very rare, and the ridiculously common. The fine built, and the entry-level, the onve off's the prototypes... but only one Medallion up until S. Tiggs inferred there is another. But I'm more amazed at the Amp/PA stuff that I don't see. Based on the Catalogs and such, there was a boatload out there. I have replacement speakers for cabinets I have never seen other than in print. In fact, of all the amps I have, only a few I have seen in the Catalog, and I haven't seen the ones that are in the Catalog.

It's just a curiosity that over time gets more and more curios.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-21 10:19 AM (#232101 - in reply to #232093)

Miles (maybe Bill will comment), but I think maybe he meant that he had seen 1000's of the medallion AND MATRIX guitars. I do rememeber this topic coming up many years ago (could not find it in the archives) and I think the concensus was that only a few hundred were made before they had to change the name. Maybe I'm dreaming it. It just seems inconcievable that there are 1000's of medallions out there and none of us have seen any. With all due respect it does not strike me as a guitar that owners would never part with.

As far as the other stuff, the headphones, amps, mics, freqlites, tuners, etc. I bet most of it is in landfills. Personal opinion but these types of gear tend to be treated as more "disposable" than guitars. Guitars are considered musical instruments (amps are not) and many people feel it is sacrelegious to dispose of a musical instrument, no matter how bad its condition. Excluding ukuleles and banjos, of course.

Dave
Beal
Posted 2006-12-22 7:33 AM (#232102 - in reply to #232093)

We made them for a year or two before the name was changed. There's got to be at least a thousand if not more out there. They must be with the amps.
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-22 7:38 AM (#232103 - in reply to #232093)

See, I was dreaming ...
brainslag
Posted 2006-12-22 9:27 AM (#232104 - in reply to #232093)

How are those amps anyway? Once in a while one comes up on ebay. Solid state, I assume. Anyone here want to chime in on what they sound like, or what would be a present-day coparison?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)