The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
OT: So, whad'ya get?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-27 6:35 PM (#224953 - in reply to #224928)
Subject: Re: OT: So, whad'ya get?

Yamaha mw12- usb mixing studio which came complete with Cubase recording program which I must now load onto the computer.

....If you don't hear from me for a while, the program ate my 'puter.... :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cruster
Posted 2006-12-27 7:26 PM (#224954 - in reply to #224928)

Originally posted by John B:
Did everyone get what they wanted for the holidays? My "big" gift this year was a Canon digital SLR camera which I have been wanted for a while. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but my poor daughter has started to run and hide when she sees me with it. I think I've taken about a hundred shots (no exaggeration) of her since Christmas day.
I got the Canon dSLR I had been researching for six weeks, along with a nice selection of lenses and accessories. Of course, buying it for myself took some of the surprise out of it, but the Missus did make me wrap it and wait for the big day. She also got me a wireless weather station which is the cats as...uh, pajamas. Very cool stuff.

Most importantly, everyone else had a wonderful holiday season, which is what I really hoped for.

Originally Posted by Phil Wong:
John,
Great to hear that you got the Digital SLR that you wanted. I'm taking alot of picture with mine also. I'm still trying to figure out all the options/default settings.
Phil, I had an electronic copy of the manual for the Canon for two weeks before I actually ordered it. I thought I knew everything this thing could do. Funny how as soon as I have it in my hands I can't figure out a thing. ;) Luckily, that green rectangle setting does a pretty fair job. At least, it did on the 200+ shots I took the first day. Heh.
John B
Posted 2006-12-27 8:49 PM (#224955 - in reply to #224928)

"Luckily, that green rectangle setting does a pretty fair job. At least, it did on the 200+ shots I took the first day. Heh."

AHHHhhh .... The little green rectangle!!! I LOVE the little green rectangle! After 2 days, I finally got brave and moved into some uncharted territory, but it's nice to go in to "full auto" mode when you need to.
TexasDoc
Posted 2006-12-27 9:17 PM (#224956 - in reply to #224928)

Originally posted by cruster:
Originally posted by John B:
Did everyone get what they wanted for the holidays? My "big" gift this year was a Canon digital SLR camera which I have been wanted for a while. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but my poor daughter has started to run and hide when she sees me with it. I think I've taken about a hundred shots (no exaggeration) of her since Christmas day.
I got the Canon dSLR I had been researching for six weeks, along with a nice selection of lenses and accessories. Of course, buying it for myself took some of the surprise out of it, but the Missus did make me wrap it and wait for the big day. She also got me a wireless weather station which is the cats as...uh, pajamas. Very cool stuff.

Most importantly, everyone else had a wonderful holiday season, which is what I really hoped for.

Originally Posted by Phil Wong:
John,
Great to hear that you got the Digital SLR that you wanted. I'm taking alot of picture with mine also. I'm still trying to figure out all the options/default settings.
Phil, I had an electronic copy of the manual for the Canon for two weeks before I actually ordered it. I thought I knew everything this thing could do. Funny how as soon as I have it in my hands I can't figure out a thing. ;) Luckily, that green rectangle setting does a pretty fair job. At least, it did on the 200+ shots I took the first day. Heh.
Which Canon DSLRs did you guys get? I got the 30d a few months ago. Have always been an advanced amatuer photographer. Went from the Canon Elan 7E to the 30D. Very similar camera (without the eye focus).
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-27 10:26 PM (#224957 - in reply to #224928)

I got a Rock.......
oops wrong season... :p :rolleyes:
FlySig
Posted 2006-12-28 12:12 AM (#224958 - in reply to #224928)

I got a teenage daughter applying to college, which means I'm applying for financial aid for her.

Didn't get nothing but an advanced look at my taxes for 2006. Bad bad news. Gotta work more overtime to pay the tax man.

So, no new toys for me this year.
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-28 1:00 AM (#224959 - in reply to #224928)

Originally posted by Stevechapman:
I got a Rock.......
oops wrong season... :p :rolleyes:
Nope, right reason, right season.
In Canada (and most of the new Christian World) you'd get coal. Deal with it. ;) :p
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-28 1:04 AM (#224960 - in reply to #224928)

i put a new trc on my folklore and renamed it..does that count?? its now a 1114-4 glen campbell folklore..lol jason
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-28 1:51 AM (#224961 - in reply to #224928)

BTW; once I figger out how this digitalis recording stuff works, you're all welcome to come up and make a cd! (In groups of 8 or less.....) No guaratees of quality....and I stand by that 100%!
muzza
Posted 2006-12-28 2:22 AM (#224962 - in reply to #224928)

tten, that's a serious camera isn't it? That's about $1000 AUD more than the one I'm looking at.

Phil Wong, which Nikon do you have?

John B, which Canon SLR did you get? I'm looking at getting myself an EOS 400D in the near future. I wanted a Nikon D70 or D80 (long time favourite - Nikon) but the Canon more than matches it feature wise, is easier to use, (for the missus) it's lighter and, importantly, MUCH cheaper.
John B
Posted 2006-12-28 5:54 AM (#224963 - in reply to #224928)

Originally posted by muzza:
tten, that's a serious camera isn't it? That's about $1000 AUD more than the one I'm looking at.

Phil Wong, which Nikon do you have?

John B, which Canon SLR did you get? I'm looking at getting myself an EOS 400D in the near future. I wanted a Nikon D70 or D80 (long time favourite - Nikon) but the Canon more than matches it feature wise, is easier to use, (for the missus) it's lighter and, importantly, MUCH cheaper.
I have the Digital Rebel XT which is by no means a pro model, but it's a nice SLR for a hobbyist like myself. I like it because I can use Canon's full line of of "ES" lenses with it, and there are a lot of those around, so I'm hoping to find some good deals on E-bay. It also has a "full auto" mode for when you just want to point and shoot. I'm very happy with it so far! Canon just came out with the new version (Rebel XTi) which is 10 megapixels as opposed to the 8.2 that mine has.
Phil Wong
Posted 2006-12-28 8:06 AM (#224964 - in reply to #224928)

I have the Nikon D200, 28mm F2.8, (2) 35-70m F2.8 one D series one not, 80-200mm F2.8,SB-800 flash, SB-24 flash and various accessories.
muzza
Posted 2006-12-28 8:35 AM (#224965 - in reply to #224928)

John, sounds like the Rebel XT is the same as the EOS 350D down here. The XTi is the one I'm looking at getting. Glad you like yours, makes me want one even more.

Phil, you've got a cool camera dude!
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-28 1:01 PM (#224966 - in reply to #224928)

"Out for delivery"
:D I just love those words...
TexasDoc
Posted 2006-12-28 1:03 PM (#224967 - in reply to #224928)

The 30d is still considered amatuer from Canon. You have to get into the single digits (5d) to be considered a professional series camera. I considered the Rebel, but the 30d fit in my hands better, is more rugged, faster, and just seemed a better fit.

Like most things (guitars and cameras included), a talented user more than makes up for technology.
cruster
Posted 2006-12-28 9:08 PM (#224968 - in reply to #224928)

Originally posted by ttenn:
The 30d is still considered amatuer from Canon. You have to get into the single digits (5d) to be considered a professional series camera. I considered the Rebel, but the 30d fit in my hands better, is more rugged, faster, and just seemed a better fit.

Like most things (guitars and cameras included), a talented user more than makes up for technology.
To answer your earlier question, I...errrr, we got the 30D. Both my wife and I are coming from Minolta bodies (I have old X370 and X700s, she had whatever new fangled thing they had out in about 2000), so the functions and features of the 30D are a bit...overwhelming. I considered going the D200 route, but when I learned of the double rebates on the Canon kit, I just couldn't justify the extra dough (although I hear the Nikon glass is fantastic).

The only thing I really miss from my X700 is the huge, bright viewfinder. None of the dSLRs have a view anywhere near the quality of that thing. :(
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)