The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Great Guitar Photo Book - Martin Content

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-28 10:32 AM (#224863)
Subject: Great Guitar Photo Book - Martin Content

OK, stick with me here. A good friend of mine got me this wonderful coffee table book all about the Martin Signature Series of guitars. I know we have criticized Martin because it seems like every Tom Dick and Harry can get a Martin Signature Series named after them. Even some Ovation "loyalists" like Paul Simon and Nancy Wilson have Martin Signature guitars named after them, and I know this really burns some folks here. But PLEASE READ ON.

I love this book and learned a LOT! The photos are of course wonderful, but it's really the stories about each guitar that are great. Goes into a lot of detail about how they worked with each artist on the design and prototyping. Some snippits like 1) they delivered the Willy Nelson model to him on his bus which promptly got stuck on a narrow "do not enter" dead end and was ticketed by the police who had no idea who the hell Willie Nelson was, 2) they delivered the Paul Simon model to him, he strummed one chord and said "no way" and walked out of the room only to pop back in and say "just kidding", 3) they delivered the Johnny Cash model to Johnny in his frail older years and he fell on it and broke proto #1, 4) the Clapton brazillian was limited to 461 guitars to match the title "461 Ocean Blvd." of his LP. Just lots and lots of really cool stories.

As far as Martin making soooo many signature models, I learned something very interesting. Each one is a collaboration with the artist and the artist selects a charity that Martin donates a nice percent of the proceeds to. They have donated MILLIONS of dollars from these guitars. You may like or dislike Martin guitars for what they are, but I personally find this a VERY nice thing for a company to do.

OK, that's it. Just wanted to share - and a HUGE thanks to the person that gave me this book. I really love it. No telling how many thousands of dollars this gift will end up costing ME. If you have a chance to look over this book, do NOT look at the OM-42 and infer anything about it associated with me. 'Nuf said.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Capo Guy
Posted 2006-12-28 10:51 AM (#224864 - in reply to #224863)
Subject: Re: Great Guitar Photo Book - Martin Content

I've browsed through that book in a book store a while back. Mainly was looking at the pictures.

I might have to put it on my wish list.
Jeff
Posted 2006-12-28 12:46 PM (#224865 - in reply to #224863)

I have it... Great book!
Joyful Noise
Posted 2006-12-28 4:07 PM (#224866 - in reply to #224863)

So did they ever make one for Neil Young or is he still just using all of his ancient ones?
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-29 8:44 AM (#224867 - in reply to #224863)

They usually give s/n 001 of any signature model to the artist. Some artists have auctioned these off for charity as well. As far as I know Young uses his old ones or new copies of it (not one of the actual signature models).

I just read about the Jim Croce model. The 3rd fret inlay is a 1973 dime. Commemorates the year he died and the line from Operator "You can keep the dime." Kind of cool.

Dave
cliff
Posted 2006-12-29 9:08 AM (#224868 - in reply to #224863)

Kinda' makes you wonder if Jim & Maury woulda' stuck to (lighter) Martins, the plane mighta' "made it" . . .
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-29 9:17 AM (#224869 - in reply to #224863)

No way Cliff, those freaking Gieb hardshell cases weigh a lot!
cliff
Posted 2006-12-29 9:19 AM (#224870 - in reply to #224863)

true . . .
wess
Posted 2006-12-29 11:00 AM (#224871 - in reply to #224863)

great book, I have it also. Martin is the only guitar I've ever purchased where they sent me a letter thanking me for selecting thier instrument. and the wallet sized warranty card is cool too. If I,m not playing one of the O's it's my martin Im struming.
Jeff
Posted 2006-12-29 3:51 PM (#224872 - in reply to #224863)

FretJob,

What model Martin do you own?
Tupperware
Posted 2006-12-30 4:28 PM (#224873 - in reply to #224863)

This xmas "gift" has just cost me another $85. I had to go rent a safety deposit to put the damn book in (and give my wife the only key). I can NOT be left alone with this book and access to any credit card or internet access. This is GAS in a 12 guage hypodermic needle mainlined straight into my aorta. Son of a bitch.

Dave
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-30 8:48 PM (#224874 - in reply to #224863)

Dave, that is about as bad as someone placing a Home Depot Power Tool Catalog next to the john! Hard not to get a hankerin for more.

I did make a Run though the local GC today and made a point to sit down with a Martin D28 and a couple of Breedlove's. The D28 was nice.

Also tried the T5 in Koa. Felt very nice and looked spectacular.

No Adamii in the whole dang place! Had to go over to Ted Brown to try the Adamas Premier with the VIP. Went though a Fener Acoustasonic Jr.

I would be tempted to remove the epaulets but it had the right feel and sound.

So, to remain on topic, Ovation needs to issue a new "History Book" as well as making a few more Artist Model instruments.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)