The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
David Gates and Bread

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2006-12-29 11:05 AM (#224631)
Subject: David Gates and Bread

...well, just his Mother and Bread...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-29 2:28 PM (#224632 - in reply to #224631)
Subject: Re: David Gates and Bread

Hey, They never announced That David Gates Had a Sex Change. I guess they wanted to make sure he could keep hitting those high notes. :rolleyes:
Seriously, some of the first guitar tunes I learned were bread songs. I was quite a fan,infactthe verey first concert i went to was The Lost without Your Love tour.it's sad but two members are now in Rock in roll heaven.
James Griffin died of Lung Cancer a couple of years ago and Drummer Mike Potts also lost a battle with cancer.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-30 12:32 AM (#224633 - in reply to #224631)

Whenever I hear the song "If" it takes me right back to my first love... ummm.. that would be a girl of course...
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-30 12:33 AM (#224634 - in reply to #224631)

didnt he play a breadwinner or a decon??? jason
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-30 1:07 AM (#224635 - in reply to #224631)

I started playing guitar because someone tried to tell me he knew how to play "Diary" and screwed it all up. I went home and pulled out my little brother's abandoned starter guitar and figured it out. Still remember "Aubrey" note for note after all those years, too. I sure spent a lot of time listening to songs back then. I ought to start doing that again.
I used to be able to sing along, but lost the falsetto somewhere along the way.
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-30 10:03 AM (#224636 - in reply to #224631)

You know, Bread had so many great "soft-Rock" hits, but what always struck me was the amount of variety on any given Lp, There was everything from the love ballads, to rock-n roll, to even country flavored songs. They wre often over looked by many who pegged them "soft rock" and who thought the love ballads were too "sweet".
Those who took that road missed out on some really great songs. Anothere sad reality was how the band Broke up. David gates was highlighted as the main Singer -songwriter and leader. But from it's inception, Bread was to be a band that highlighted each members writing and singing talents. The othere members were frustrated that the songs they wrote were overlooked as singles.
Arguments pursued, followed by law-suits. it was nasty. Tehy laid it all down for the Lost witthout your Love LP and re-union tour only to have it fall apart again in mainly an argument between Jimmy griffin and David gates over- yep
the same argunment. They made ammends and did a reunion tour to include Australlia. A couple years after that Jimmy got sick.
at least they made ammends at the end.
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-30 10:22 AM (#224637 - in reply to #224631)

I always wanted to play "Everyday With You".

Unfortunatly, all those funky, diminished, suspended 9th chords are beyond my understanding.
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-30 10:47 AM (#224638 - in reply to #224631)

Interesting Tidbit that some of you may already know about "Everything I Own" By Bread.
David Gates Wrote "Everthing I own" about his father and though it fit in most peoples mind that the song is about Lost Love Only partially true.
David had lost his father and wrote the song in honor of him.
This song really rings true with me,especially now. Since DaddyDies in August of this year and here at the holiday season especially. You find yourself missing those family members that are nolongere here..So fellow ofc members, here's to
family members nolonger with us, may we honor them and cherish them in our hearts always.

" I would give everything I own"
Give up my life, my heart my home
I would give everything I own
Just to have you Back again.
Tommy M.
Posted 2006-12-30 11:50 AM (#224639 - in reply to #224631)

You know one thing I really enjoy about this board is the wealth of knowledge that some of you have about music I grew up playing, and still do. Another group that comes to mind with a very sad history is Badfinger. At first I mistook them for a contrived Beatle clone group, but I was wrong. They were so talented.

Being an SG guy, I dig the story about George Harrison, giving his SG Guitar (played on Revolver) to Peter Ham, of Badfinger
Slipkid
Posted 2006-12-30 11:53 AM (#224640 - in reply to #224631)

Badfinger was awesome.
They somehow got lost in the shuffle. Bad timing probably. They where trying to break in just when all the current "Classic Rock" was coming out.
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-30 12:12 PM (#224641 - in reply to #224631)

"Since DaddyDies in August of this year "

It was supposed to read Daddy died.
I tried to edit the post but i got a messagr saying my time to edit the message had elapsed.
I've never seen that message before.
oh well, I'm sure most of you knew what I meant.
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-30 12:19 PM (#224642 - in reply to #224631)

Badfinger was a talented group. Probably why McCartney took them under his wing. Unfortunately that connection also doomed them to be in the Beatles shadow. Then they hired a crook as manager starting a slide down resulting in Pete Ham's hanging suicide in 1975. In 1983 Tom Evans also hanged himself. Mike Gibbons died in 2005.

They were originally called "The Iveys". Lennon's suggestion for a new name was "The Prix".
Mark in Boise
Posted 2006-12-30 4:18 PM (#224643 - in reply to #224631)

Couple years ago my wife got me Bread Retrospective, a 2 CD set. It has a nice little booklet with some history, including a story about how they wanted to be rockers, but their ballads kept selling better than their rock songs.
Stevechapman
Posted 2006-12-30 10:50 PM (#224644 - in reply to #224631)

The bread Retrospective is a wonderful collection. I believe that every Bread Lp was remastered and released on CD with the exception of Lost without you love, which is kind of sad beacause there are some really great songs on that collection and Jimmy griffins lead vocals and work on the tunes he wrote were pretty awesome.A tune called "lay your Money down" pretty much rocked. quite frankly, teh whole lp was pretty good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)